Man United Supporters Thread (Part 18)

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think their squad is quite advanced in years.

JT - 30
    Cole - 30
    Lampard - 32
    Benayoun - 30
    Drogba - 33 (soon)
    Malouda - 30
    Ferreira - 32 (soon)
    Anelka - 31

Maybe this is the problem.

They do need to change the players, but since they have been changing managers quite regulary, they haven't had the time to gently ease in the younger players like we do so very well.
    They need to go on a spending spree, in a way Chelsea winning the double last year reminds me of the year Liverpool finished second, in so much as with the players available that was the most they could have have done, a sort of last hurrah if you will, and now this is the "after the Lord Mayor's show", and it is showing with Chelsea.
    Yes Ramieres is ugly in the way that Rooney is a male model.:rolleyes: What the Peter Beardsley does a players looks have to do with anything?

I was being silly with the looks, but he is Chelsea's version of Klberson, he just adds nothing to their team, I honestly do not know why he was signed.
    They would have been better of paying Ballack the extra money and keeping him, as even though he is old, he is still a far better player than Ramieres.
  • irishmikeeirishmikee Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea were really terrible tonight. Drogba, Lampard, Essien, Kalou, Maluda all looking like shadows of the players they are. They lacked any purpose and invention going forward, no doubt about it they are in a mess at the moment. Not totally out of it yet with the way things are going this season, but if they don't get it together soon they will be out of it come the end of January. Some shocking defending tonight.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carlo Anchelotti is in big do do at the moment

Ray Wilkins was never this essential to a team when he was playing! :)
  • irishmikeeirishmikee Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question:

It's the night before the potentially treble-winning Champions League final. You and Roo are in a hotel together. He desperately wants to have rampant sex with you. But you know that if he does, he might exhaust himself and play crap the next day. It's not possible that he'll ever be so drunk again, so it's a one in a lifetime offer. What do you do?

Well if he's going to be that drunk the night before a Champions League final he deserves to get f*cked in fairness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drogba and Lampard (not surprisingly) and Essien (huge surprise) were really off the pace today. I think that and the defensive mistakes hurt Chelsea the most. When Drogba and Lampard recover Chelsea's fortunes may improve. Hopefully, we'll be out of sight by then.

We are already to far ahead of Chelsea, for them to even be in our thoughts as title challengers.
    If we can keep consistant, then it is ours to lose.

This makes, the Birmingham game a must win really, as if we can win that, that keeps daylight between us and the rest, still with the crucial game in hand.
    We are capable of beating them, but it is just a quiestion of if Foster will have one of those games, where he decides to be good, rather than not so good.

The Blackpool game as well will be crucial as winning that will be a big mental blow to our rivals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drogba and Lampard (not surprisingly) and Essien (huge surprise) were really off the pace today. I think that and the defensive mistakes hurt Chelsea the most. When Drogba and Lampard recover Chelsea's fortunes may improve. Hopefully, we'll be out of sight by then.

Edit: Double post, I don't know how that hapened, sorry. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do need to change the players, but since they have been changing managers quite regulary, they haven't had the time to gently ease in the younger players like we do so very well.
    They need to go on a spending spree, in a way Chelsea winning the double last year reminds me of the year Liverpool finished second, in so much as with the players available that was the most they could have have done, a sort of last hurrah if you will, and now this is the "after the Lord Mayor's show", and it is showing with Chelsea.

I was being silly with the looks, but he is Chelsea's version of Klberson, he just adds nothing to their team, I honestly do not know why he was signed.
    They would have been better of paying Ballack the extra money and keeping him, as even though he is old, he is still a far better player than Ramieres.

I agree a lot with the first para - but just as people were too quick to praise Chelsea and their start to the season, we shouldn't be too quick to write them off either. Fitness, rather than age (at the moment anyway) may be the key issue. After all, their worst players tonight were maluda and mikel, and they're hardly past it...

As for the second, it isn't unusual for an overseas player to take time to adjust is it. He was signed for the future, but there seems to be a huge gap between Chelsea's experienced players and the youngsters/new players who need help bedding in.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2010:

Chelsea:
    Ramires - £18m

Manchester United:
    Smalling - £9m
    Hernandez: £12m
    Bebe: £6m

2009:

Chelsea

Zhirkov - £18m
    Sturridge - £3.5m (possibly rising to £6.5 conditions pending)
    Turnbull - Free

Manchester United:

Valencia: £16m
    Obertan: £3.5m
    Owen: Free

Chelsea spend: £39.5m
    United spend: £46.5m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are already to far ahead of Chelsea, for them to even be in our thoughts as title challengers.
    If we can keep consistant, then it is ours to lose.

This makes, the Birmingham game a must win really, as if we can win that, that keeps daylight between us and the rest, still with the crucial game in hand.
    We are capable of beating them, but it is just a quiestion of if Foster will have one of those games, where he decides to be good, rather than not so good.

The Blackpool game as well will be crucial as winning that will be a big mental blow to our rivals.

I believed you the first time batdude :)
  • Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    At this moment in time Arsenal are our only title challengers, if we can we can win the next two games at Birmingham and West Brom then we are in an extremely strong position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishmikee wrote: »
    Well if he's going to be that drunk the night before a Champions League final he deserves to get f*cked in fairness.

:D:D:D

I notice Pink didn't take the bait :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree a lot with the first para - but just as people were too quick to praise Chelsea and their start to the season, we shouldn't be too quick to write them off either. Fitness, rather than age (at the moment anyway) may be the key issue. After all, their worst players tonight were maluda and mikel, and they're hardly past it...

As for the second, it isn't unusual for an overseas player to take time to adjust is it. He was signed for the future, but there seems to be a huge gap between Chelsea's experienced players and the youngsters/new players who need help bedding in.

I agree that overseas players take time to adjust, (just look at Evra for evidence of that, he was rubbish in his debut match v City, and now look at him).
    Even with that in mind, I just don't know what he brings to the table for Chelsea (Ramires), he doesn't look that good a passer, his positional sense doesn't seem that good either, and he just seems to be ok at tacking.
    If that does ring true (about overseas players taking to adjust), why not just keep Ballack?
    He could do everything that Ramieres can't, and do it well.

He just seems like a very strange transfer to me, that's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D

I notice Pink didn't take the bait :D

Oh trust me, I'd take it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2010:

Chelsea:
    Ramires - £18m

Manchester United:
    Smalling - £9m
    Hernandez: £12m
    Bebe: £6m

2009:

Chelsea

Zhirkov - £18m
    Sturridge - £3.5m (possibly rising to £6.5 conditions pending)
    Turnbull - Free

Manchester United:

Valencia: £16m
    Obertan: £3.5m
    Owen: Free

Chelsea spend: £39.5m
    United spend: £46.5m

Humm, that is intersting, remind me again, which club has a multi-billionaire owner, and which club has to kind of watch their finances again?

I believed you the first time batdude :)

Sorry, I double posted somehow. :o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humm, that is intersting, remind me again, which club has a multi-billionaire owner, and which club has to kind of watch their finances again?

The perils of the sugar Daddy. Even before that period when they were spending large sums they had top down interference. Manager's sacked, coaching staff dismissed. Player's signed without consent of the manager.....meanwhile we won back to back league titles, a European cup and had the best continental record of any club over a four year period.

...we really underestimate just how good Alex Ferguson has it.

Opening up the point, it's why I'm dubious as to how 'brilliant' the rumoured Qatar takeover really is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roman has caused far more problems during his time than he has solved, to my mind he is just a richer version of Mike Ashely, both sit in the stands (wearing casual clothes, although at least Roman doesn't neck pints for fun), both hardly say a word to the press (can anyone remember an interview with either of them), and both continually interfere with the way their clubs are run to the clubs detriment.

Both undermine their respective managers, leading to them either walking away or being sacked, yet Roman gets a free ride basically while Ashely gets loads of hate mail, it just seems strange really.
  • SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    All the Chelsea fans are blaming the struggles on injury.

Yeah well every team has injuries to key players. They're just aging and are underperforming against anyone half-decent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the Chelsea fans are blaming the struggles on injury.

Yeah well every team has injuries to key players. They're just aging and are underperforming against anyone half-decent.

They can come speak to us about injuries when they have to start using midfielders in defense to cover injuries like we had to last year.

The minute Lampard and Essien form the defensive partnership, I'll start being sympathetic in their injury 'crisis'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea fans blaming injuries are having a laugh, they don't know what an injury ravaged team is, we had I think something like 12 or 13 first team players out injured last season, yet we still carried on, (I don't see Chelsea playing a reserve left-back in central defence in a league game, like we had to do at Fulham), so that excuse can be written off striaght away.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People went all Lady Ga Ga over their form in the first 6 games, which were the easiest games you could want, ever since their first serious test that they had (the City game), they have been found out, by anyone half decent.

They just don't the squad, or the players to cope with a long season, competing in multiple compeitions.

Plus with Roman now concentrating on helping Russia complete all their new stadiums, and other monetary things that goes into hosting a World Cup, I cannot see Chelsea spending the money that they need to, to improve their squad.

All of that is spot on, especially the first paragraph. Don't expect anyone in the media who was crowning them champions in August to admit to it now though.
    They can come speak to us about injuries when they have to start using midfielders in defense to cover injuries like we had to last year.

The minute Lampard and Essien form the defensive partnership, I'll start being sympathetic in their injury 'crisis'

Also spot on. At one point last season we had 9 defenders and VDS out injured, and not surprisingly we struggled. Did we get any sympathy? Did we hell!!

Tonight's events have only made me even more pissed off about last weekend being called off, on current form we'd have thumped Chelsea, and I bet they weren't exactly disappointed that it was called off.
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    fantastic result tonight. Great to see chelsea struggling. However they got 3 easy fixtures coming up. Arsenal have a couple of tough matches in their next three. We need to try and get at least 7pts in our next 3 games. brum and west brom away and stoke home
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davey84 wrote: »
    fantastic result tonight. Great to see chelsea struggling. However they got 3 easy fixtures coming up. Arsenal have a couple of tough matches in their next three. We need to try and get at least 7pts in our next 3 games. brum and west brom away and stoke home

Chelsea are at their lowest ebb. Just played a very intense game. Confidence, energy - drained.

...and they play a Bolton side the day after tomorrow, who have been excellent this season so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bolton by no means is an easy game for Chelsea, they are in excellent form, and Coyle has done a fantastic job there. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went there and did what Sunderland did and came away with the three points.
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when are we likely to hear more about this Qatar bid?

It's funny there's been people moaning about the Glazers, but they run the club properly, Ferguson was left in complete control of football.

If this takeover does happen, I hope the give SAF the same level of control.

I'd hate to think we become Man City #2.
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    Chelsea are at their lowest ebb. Just played a very intense game. Confidence, energy - drained.

...and they play a Bolton side the day after tomorrow, who have been excellent this season so far.

i'd agree if it was at the reebok, however chelsea's home record is still good and bolton are not that good away. hopefully chelsea will not get max pts in their next 3 games.
This discussion has been closed.