The One Direction Appreciation Thread (9)

Comments

• MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cakesy wrote: »
    Pleasantly surprised at You & I's placement given the fact that they did no promo and didn't have Capital's support. Even just one performance or a radio interview this week could've helped push it into the top 15 and maybe even top 10, but I understand why that wouldn't have been the best time this week to do that. At least the album seems to be dong well still in both the UK and Ireland.

On that note, I've noticed sales in the US for Midnight Memories have mostly stalled. Both UAN and TMH are double platinum in the US while Midnight Memories has been slowly selling and stuck below around 1.34 million copies for a couple months. That will hopefully change when the US leg of the tour starts and they can do some promo here. According to the IFPI the album sold over 4 million copies before 2013 ended, so worldwide at least, it shouldn't be too far behind the other albums and their total worldwide sales.

Is the two million shipments rather than sales? I wonder if they'll do any promo for MM over there. They'll almost be ready for the next album when the American tour finishes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww. So that's where Zayn gets his pout from!!

https://twitter.com/zayntheist/status/473183522602373120

he looks so much like his mum in some pics and in others he looks like his dad.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, apparently Harry is sick. :( He had to run off stage a few times and the other boys had to sing some of his solos. Here's a vine of Niall doing his part in You and I.
    https://twitter.com/All1DAlerts/status/473231830498701317

Aww no, hope he recovers quick, don't want Saturday to be Harryless! I believe they have a night off tomorrow? Hopefully can get some rest in.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    Aww no, hope he recovers quick, don't want Saturday to be Harryless! I believe they have a night off tomorrow? Hopefully can get some rest in.

*story of my life* !!! I am a Harry voice fan and he won't be there on my one and only opportunity to hear him (and them) live :o: Fingers and toes crossed

To be fair it was Harry on X Factor who got me interested in them but now I love all of them and think Niall's voice has improved the most and Zayn and Liam are smashing it and even now can see the appeal of Louis's voice on some songs
  • BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Of course they chose to post only part of the tweets so that it would suit their article & message. I think the boys should ignore the Daily Mail from now on. It's obvious they are disapointed in the lack of reaction that their revelations lead to, so unless it's Zayn & Louis giving some kind of statement (well thought out, not spur of the moment), the other boys should not react to those article...
    Those quotes don't make Liam or the boys look bad though IMO.

I don't get why they are saying Harry has a private jet to himself when we saw pics of him & Niall travelling together... and they have been using 2 planes for a while since the 1D team is relatively big. But it's not as if those "purveyors of truth" (to quote MTUK1) are that concerned about accuracy.

Some times I think that responding to stuff like this keeps the fire burning but on reflection I do think Zayn and Louis should have released a short statement apologising (or at least expressing regret) about the release of the video and something about how since it was not intended for public release they don't encourage others to follow suit on any of the contents.

As for Harry flying separatly. i must admit that I do feel that friendships in the group have shifted over the last year an half.
    I think for harry, Narry is the main 'ship'
    and that the other strong partnership is 'Zouis'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Geez Louis looks rough in that interview. :o Joint Lit, Happy days! :o

He even admitted that he dresses like his homeless. I think that he dresses like the music stars he aspires to be. It's very much an 'indie' look.
    Oh dear, apparently Harry is sick. :( He had to run off stage a few times and the other boys had to sing some of his solos. Here's a vine of Niall doing his part in You and I.
    https://twitter.com/All1DAlerts/status/473231830498701317

Makes you realise how well suite Harry's vocals are to his solos. I think producers have to be careful about assigning Niall his vocals. He doesnt have the same warmth and well rounded vocal as the others (or at least Zarriam):)
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »
    He even admitted that he dresses like his homeless. I think that he dresses like the music stars he aspires to be. It's very much an 'indie' look.

Makes you realise how well suite Harry's vocals are to his solos. I think producers have to be careful about assigning Niall his vocals. He doesnt have the same warmth and well rounded vocal as the others (or at least Zarriam):)

I think he sounded good, he obviously didn't have much time to rehearse it , I wouldn't say they had well rounded voices they all have problems, like harry's tendency to shout and zayn's diction , liam would probably have the most well rounded voice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some times I think that responding to stuff like this keeps the fire burning but on reflection I do think Zayn and Louis should have released a short statement apologising (or at least expressing regret) about the release of the video and something about how since it was not intended for public release they don't encourage others to follow suit on any of the contents.

As for Harry flying separatly. i must admit that I do feel that friendships in the group have shifted over the last year an half.
    I think for harry, Narry is the main 'ship'
    and that the other strong partnership is 'Zouis'.

With the friendships thing we don't know. We only see them at concerts and in TV. There is no certain way of telling who is closest to who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member

I think Niall did fine. But then again, I also think Harry has sounded kinda bad for awhile now from improper use of his voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he sounded good, he obviously didn't have much time to rehearse it , I wouldn't say they had well rounded voices they all have problems, like harry's tendency to shout and zayn's diction , liam would probably have the most well rounded voice
    I think Niall did fine. But then again, I also think Harry has sounded kinda bad for awhile now from improper use of his voice.

My post wasn't intended to criticise Niall as it seems to have been perceived it was. I know he sang it fine/well but in comparison I guess I am just thinking the solo was more suited to Harry and there are vocalist who will sound good on most solos and other's who have a voice that require more selective solo pieces.

Niall has bit of a sharp twang to his voice with a tone that is not as warm and Harry's or Zayn's. I think the solo he did across the three albums (except the one in MM) suit him but hearing him sing Harry's, makes me think that Naill's solos were well selected for him.
    Well that's my assessment. It's just like Louis. I appreciate his solos but it's obvious that some of the Zarriam solos would not suit him at all.

I really do believe that unlike some other boybands, 1D have a good selection of voices to work with and on top of that usually get it right with the vocal allocation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's wrong with Zayn's diction? Sounds fine to me. Harry on the other had with his guards above. Lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My post wasn't intended to criticise Niall as it seems to have been perceived it was. I know he sang it fine/well but in comparison I guess I am just thinking the solo was more suited to Harry and there are vocalist who will sound good on most solos and other's who have a voice that require more selective solo pieces.

Niall has bit of a sharp twang to his voice with a tone that is not as warm and Harry's or Zayn's. I think the solo he did across the three albums (except the one in MM) suit him but hearing him sing Harry's, makes me think that Naill's solos were well selected for him.
    Well that's my assessment. It's just like Louis. I appreciate his solos but it's obvious that some of the Zarriam solos would not suit him at all.

I really do believe that unlike some other boybands, 1D have a good selection of voices to work with and on top of that usually get it right with the vocal allocation.

I totally agree with you but I don't agree with others as regards Harry straining his voice. There is too much money at stake for them to allow him to do this so I really believe that where he shouts in SOML it is supposed to be sung like that and is why he was given the chorus to do it and same with his bits on MM.

I do think they all have different type voices as mentioned in that article by one of the song writers on UAN. Harry has a sort of indie sound to his voice with a rasp and Liam is poppy and Zayn pure R and B, Niall a rocky edge but you notice in a lot of his solos he has someone else singing in the background so your point about the fullness is probably correct. Even Louis (who that guy said had a melodic tone) does not get someone else singing with him on his solos.

Anyway this is just my take on it and I might be biased where Harry is concerned but I really do believe they wouldn't let him strain his voice and being sick on stage isn't anything to do with his vocal chords more like something he has eaten (or drank :o:o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I totally agree with you but I don't agree with others as regards Harry straining his voice. There is too much money at stake for them to allow him to do this so I really believe that where he shouts in SOML it is supposed to be sung like that and is why he was given the chorus to do it and same with his bits on MM.

I do think they all have different type voices as mentioned in that article by one of the song writers on UAN. Harry has a sort of indie sound to his voice with a rasp and Liam is poppy and Zayn pure R and B, Niall a rocky edge but you notice in a lot of his solos he has someone else singing in the background so your point about the fullness is probably correct. Even Louis (who that guy said had a melodic tone) does not get someone else singing with him on his solos.

Anyway this is just my take on it and I might be biased where Harry is concerned but I really do believe they wouldn't let him strain his voice and being sick on stage isn't anything to do with his vocal chords more like something he has eaten (or drank :o:o)

Harry's a good singer. Don't know what everyone else saying he shouts is listening to?

With regards to Louis. Have you noticed how strong his voice is when he harmonizes? Listen to the backing vocals on DFWYB from MM and Come on Come On from TMH. The chorus vocals on both tracks you can hear him the loudest. He sounds really good I think he's better at harmonies with the others then on his own.
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Em yes he does, You and I, Moments, Kiss you, One thing, Diana, Better than words Why dont we go there and others Louis has someone singing with him, more than niall i've actually noticed. myself anyway.
    As for Zayn's diction, CD version is fine, live he is a lot more difficult to understand songs like You and I , story of my life, live, he is difficult to understand sometimes he kind of mumbles and doesn't seem to give a clear version
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Em yes he does, You and I, Moments, Kiss you, One thing, Diana, Better than words Why dont we go there and others Louis has someone singing with him, more than niall i've actually noticed. myself anyway.
    As for Zayn's diction, CD version is fine, live he is a lot more difficult to understand songs like You and I , story of my life, live, he is difficult to understand sometimes he kind of mumbles and doesn't seem to give a clear version

I would have to check but I was talking about solos and don't think the songs you have mentioned are on his solos but the harmony parts. Def in you and I and kiss you but would have to check on the other songs. Oh dear I need to listen again for research purposes :D
  • Mrs TartanMrs Tartan Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Hi! :)

Did you enjoy the concerts of theirs that you've been to?

Yes I thought the concerts were really good (and I've been to a LOT of concerts in my time) :D

Sadly I think Saturday was probably my daughter's last 1D concert as she wants to see other bands, but she is only 14!
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been away for a few days so here's a big reply (sorry!)
    I agree and disagree with you at the same time. Zouis should apologise yes for being immature, but I disagree that he has anything to apologise for regarding the Duck Dynasty thing apart from being a bit naive.

Liam swore at journalists/bloggers (calling them "bastards") upset fans, didn't clarify what he meant by family values, played the victim card, and then marshalled the fandom into bullying Tyler Oakley and other people who criticised him (and they used horrible language whilst doing it). Not Liam's finest hour. He sort of addressed this in the Radio 1 interview.

I really want Louis to apologise and to tell his fans not to defend his language. He looks so unprofessional, and has done for a while. It's probably too late now but if we do get an apology I hope they don't use age as an excuse. If Zayn is too young to be held accountable for all his actions he is too young to get married.
    Pleasantly surprised at You & I's placement given the fact that they did no promo and didn't have Capital's support. Even just one performance or a radio interview this week could've helped push it into the top 15 and maybe even top 10, but I understand why that wouldn't have been the best time this week to do that. At least the album seems to be dong well still in both the UK and Ireland.

On that note, I've noticed sales in the US for Midnight Memories have mostly stalled. Both UAN and TMH are double platinum in the US while Midnight Memories has been slowly selling and stuck below around 1.34 million copies for a couple months. That will hopefully change when the US leg of the tour starts and they can do some promo here. According to the IFPI the album sold over 4 million copies before 2013 ended, so worldwide at least, it shouldn't be too far behind the other albums and their total worldwide sales.

#22 is a relief for me after Midnight Memoflops, it's a pity they did zero promo outside the concerts and Radio 1 Big Weekend. I expect them to launch the lead single for the next album in September during the last few weeks of the US leg. They'll then come back to the UK and perform it on the early X Factor shows mid October. Second single can come out late November around album release.

Niall said in the Radio 1 interview that Tom & Danny from McFly are currently producing the songs they've done with them so it seems they have recorded their vocals for a lot of the album tracks. Julian Bunetta was out in South America with them and I guess will follow them around Europe getting the rest of the vocals done. I hope Niall is given a chance to record some guitar as well. Zayn said he's not rapping on the song they've done with Naughty Boy, but looks like he's done other stuff with him that will be for NB :cool:
    What's wrong with Zayn's diction? Sounds fine to me. Harry on the other had with his guards above. Lol.

Zayn does have a problem with diction. For example on Through The Dark I think the line "I'll take you to the stars" is actually "to the start". I know he's meant to riff on it but on SOML "Chasing the clouoooo" is also mumbled.
    Harry's a good singer. Don't know what everyone else saying he shouts is listening to?

With regards to Louis. Have you noticed how strong his voice is when he harmonizes? Listen to the backing vocals on DFWYB from MM and Come on Come On from TMH. The chorus vocals on both tracks you can hear him the loudest. He sounds really good I think he's better at harmonies with the others then on his own.

Watch the start of this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VNNOkKmuc He really does 'shout it out'. As much as the vocal coach and record label can tell Harry not to strain his voice he gets very into his performances and he's somewhat of a show off. The label can't even stop him riding a motorbike in LA and he doesn't rest his voice by getting lots of sleep. In contrast Zayn and Liam's solos and big notes look effortless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Watch the start of this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VNNOkKmuc He really does 'shout it out'. As much as the vocal coach and record label can tell Harry not to strain his voice he gets very into his performances and he's somewhat of a show off. The label can't even stop him riding a motorbike in LA and he doesn't rest his voice by getting lots of sleep. In contrast Zayn and Liam's solos and big notes look effortless.

I did and IMO not shouting a bit off key but not shouting. And as I said previously I do believe a lot of his solos are supposed to be shouted out. Compare the cd version to the live and there isn't much difference. Are you suggesting he gets less sleep than Zoius? And just how would you know this for a fact? :confused: Yes I agree both Zoius are faultless but you can hardly compare Louis's solos with Harrys. Louis has very few solos and are all specifically in his range which is actually a very small range and Zayn has a good range and of course a technically better singer than Harry so again you cannot compare.

I think we will always disagree over Harry's vocals so maybe we should agree to disagree
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you.
    I like that they all have different voices & strength, it allows them to sing a wider range of songs too IMO. We'll see if the next album will go in a bit of a different direction than the current one with the different co-writers announced.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did and IMO not shouting a bit off key but not shouting. And as I said previously I do believe a lot of his solos are supposed to be shouted out. Compare the cd version to the live and there isn't much difference. Are you suggesting he gets less sleep than Zoius? And just how would you know this for a fact? :confused: Yes I agree both Zoius are faultless but you can hardly compare Louis's solos with Harrys. Louis has very few solos and are all specifically in his range which is actually a very small range and Zayn has a good range and of course a technically better singer than Harry so again you cannot compare.

I think we will always disagree over Harry's vocals so maybe we should agree to disagree

Harry said in the 1D Day work out video that he only gets a few hours sleep a night, waking up very early to go to the gym. Zayn has talked many times about how important sleep is to him and the other boys describe him as relaxed and chilled. Of course we now know that might mean something different...

It was Liam I was talking about not Louis. I do not think Louis is a great singer whereas Liam has a very impressive range and technique - his falsetto is particularly lovely. I think agree to disagree is the right route on both Harry and Louis's voices :)
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry said in the 1D Day work out video that he only gets a few hours sleep a night, waking up very early to go to the gym. Zayn has talked many times about how important sleep is to him and the other boys describe him as relaxed and chilled. Of course we now know that might mean something different...

I remember an interview in which Harry was telling one of his stories (like he does sometimes) about someone who had the ability fall asleep everywhere just like that (which is very convenient in their business I'm sure), and the boys made fun of him because he was almost describing himself according to them... Does anyone remember that or am I making stuff up?
    Anyway, I don't think we know that much about their sleeping habbits apart from the fact that Zayn needs a lot of sleep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Liam swore at journalists/bloggers (calling them "bastards") upset fans, didn't clarify what he meant by family values, played the victim card, and then marshalled the fandom into bullying Tyler Oakley and other people who criticised him (and they used horrible language whilst doing it). Not Liam's finest hour. He sort of addressed this in the Radio 1 interview.

I really want Louis to apologise and to tell his fans not to defend his language. He looks so unprofessional, and has done for a while. It's probably too late now but if we do get an apology I hope they don't use age as an excuse. If Zayn is too young to be held accountable for all his actions he is too young to get married.

#22 is a relief for me after Midnight Memoflops, it's a pity they did zero promo outside the concerts and Radio 1 Big Weekend. I expect them to launch the lead single for the next album in September during the last few weeks of the US leg. They'll then come back to the UK and perform it on the early X Factor shows mid October. Second single can come out late November around album release.

Niall said in the Radio 1 interview that Tom & Danny from McFly are currently producing the songs they've done with them so it seems they have recorded their vocals for a lot of the album tracks. Julian Bunetta was out in South America with them and I guess will follow them around Europe getting the rest of the vocals done. I hope Niall is given a chance to record some guitar as well. Zayn said he's not rapping on the song they've done with Naughty Boy, but looks like he's done other stuff with him that will be for NB :cool:

Zayn does have a problem with diction. For example on Through The Dark I think the line "I'll take you to the stars" is actually "to the start". I know he's meant to riff on it but on SOML "Chasing the clouoooo" is also mumbled.

Sorry lol I just got stuck on this bit. Why would they even want to stop him? They don't own him, what he does on his own time is none of their concern. Him singing, that's more something that should concern them. Although, I do think the songs where he is a bit shouty, are usually supposed to be a bit shouty
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as i've said before... i also don't have a problem with harry's singing... it's just those parts that are assigned to him coz they know he can rock 'em... :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rawr wrote: »
    Sorry lol I just got stuck on this bit. Why would they even want to stop him? They don't own him, what he does on his own time is none of their concern. Him singing, that's more something that should concern them. Although, I do think the songs where he is a bit shouty, are usually supposed to be a bit shouty

Yes and the link dumdedum quoted above has him singing the words shout it out shout it . You can't sing those words softly :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭