How do you delete a DS account?

2»

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Accounts are not deleted here because all posts will then be deleted too, which makes a nonsense out of threads and is irritating as hell for other users. The options are to either stop posting or ask for a permanent ban. What's wrong with that?
    I agree posts should be left but it should still be possible to delete account details and close the account. I just feel better knowing that the system is not holding my details yet so many websites don't allow this.
    Sometimes the nearest I have been able to come to deleting my account is to change as many account details as possible before quitting - including leaving them with a nonsense email address.
    I've had to do this with with a job site which had no facility for closing the account and which started spamming me despite me electing not to receive mail.
    Maybe one answer is to sign up with an email addy created for the purpose, which you delete on leaving.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some accounts on DS that have been de-registered. In this case, the posts remain, but are not searchable within DS (not that much at all is searchable within DS - I just use google!), and there is no link from the username to the user profile, and no post count. It just reads: Posts: n/a.

Edit: In fact, I've just checked one such account, and the DS post history and the user profile still exist for "de-registered" accounts. It just takes a tiny bit more effort to find them. Of course, the post history is as incomplete as everyone else's!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I am not asking DS to delete my posts, just my account. Which has been done as there are users which are blacked out.
    What is it that you think this will achieve?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    What is it that you think this will achieve?

That was not my question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was not my question.
    Indeed not. It was mine.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    If the forum you are referring to where you are a super admin, is the one on your homepage via your profile, with respect that is a graveyard and nothing like DS.

Nope :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed not. It was mine.

I have already answered that question further up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have already answered that question further up.
    Really? The only post that comes close is this one:
    DS accounts contain personal information, we have the right to request this is deleted.

You've already told us that you don't want your posts deleted, there is nothing that identifies you in your profile, and your username would remain even if you deregistered your account.

All that seems to be left is the email address you used when you registered, which is known only to DS administrators, should they care to look. Is that the personal information that concerns you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? The only post that comes close is this one:

You've already told us that you don't want your posts deleted, there is nothing that identifies you in your profile, and your username would remain even if you deregistered your account.

All that seems to be left is the email address you used when you registered, which is known only to DS administrators, should they care to look. Is that the personal information that concerns you?

Name, birthday, email and posts which could be linked to you.

Its a request I have made to DS so I will leave it to them if they want to or not.

Thank you for members "help".
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    People are entitled to close their accounts if they want to.
    No, they aren't. This is a private forum that you are allowed to visit and use in accordance with whatever rules and processes the owners choose to implement. You have no 'entitlement' to anything.
    DS accounts contain personal information, we have the right to request this is deleted.
    Not very much. Your email address is private information, yes. I suppose you can ask DS to remove that from your account. Other than that PMs are private so they could be deleted..but then you can do that yourself anyway.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Other than that PMs are private so they could be deleted..but then you can do that yourself anyway.

Except they most probably aren't 'deleted' at all - just marked as deleted to the user, and still visible to moderators - just as any edits (in posts and otherwise) are visible to the moderators as well.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name, birthday, email and posts which could be linked to you.

Its a request I have made to DS so I will leave it to them if they want to or not.

Thank you for members "help".

So what has happened that you have only just realised, after more than 4 years here, that you don't want the admin to have access to that very benign information ?
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    No, they aren't. This is a private forum that you are allowed to visit and use in accordance with whatever rules and processes the owners choose to implement. You have no 'entitlement' to anything.Not very much. Your email address is private information, yes. I suppose you can ask DS to remove that from your account. Other than that PMs are private so they could be deleted..but then you can do that yourself anyway.

You can request what information is held about you in line with the data protection act.

You can ask that errors be corrected

it costs 10 GBP to do so.