Options

Black NAACP leader 'outed' as white by her parents

Comments

• Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she not lacking integrity

she "identifies" with being black so she is, in PC world she is just like bruce jenner/caitlin being a woman

and if a black person thinks that someone is being racist toward them, then they are

or people being "offended" by something, even if none was meant

No she's not like Caitlynn Jenner. Caitlynn wasn't caught lying about her childhood experiences.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now her artwork is under fire:

See Dolezal's "The Shape Of Our Kind" atop this article:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/15/rachel-dolezal-art_n_7586972.html

or in her 'Art Pal' page linked in:
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/16/did-rachel-dolezal-rip-off-a-painting-called-the-slave-ship/

J.M.W. Turner's 1840 "The Slave Ship":

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=The_Slave_Ship
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was struck by a short interview I heard the other night on the BBC World Service with an American woman - a plain-speaking actual black woman who knows whereof she speaks and tells it as it is.

In a few incisive sentences she makes clear and plain what is wrong with what the impostor did.

The intro to the interview starts at 50 mins in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02t673c#auto
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    I was struck by a short interview I heard the other night on the BBC World Service with an American woman - a plain-speaking actual black woman who knows whereof she speaks and tells it as it is.

In a few incisive sentences she makes clear and plain what is wrong with what the impostor did.

That was very interesting and the woman is quite articulate. Thanks for linking it.
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »

Yes - it is the deliberate and vocal appropriation of experience that she has not had that bothers me. Negating the genuine experiences of those she purports to respect. The woman is a fraud. No integrity. As "expert" as she is, she knows damn well that what she's doing is wrong.

Not only that, I was reading that she actually went around lecturing and questioning others about their ethnicity! And of course pretended to have experienced racial attacks and hate mail. This is not someone " innocently" going too far with a fantasy.
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I identify as a minority, when do I receive my race card?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    Now her artwork is under fire:

See Dolezal's "The Shape Of Our Kind" atop this article:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/15/rachel-dolezal-art_n_7586972.html

or in her 'Art Pal' page linked in:
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/16/did-rachel-dolezal-rip-off-a-painting-called-the-slave-ship/

J.M.W. Turner's 1840 "The Slave Ship":

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=The_Slave_Ship

Yikes. And she tried to sue Howard U for not offering her a job as art instructor.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33152596

Speaking to NBC, she said that from the age of five she "was drawing self-portraits with the brown crayon instead of the peach crayon".

This is startlingly similar to the way that transgender people describe their childhood, maybe transethnicity is real after all?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discrimination case dismissed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33152596

"US media reported on Tuesday that in 2002 she sued the historically black Howard University for discriminating against her for being white.

She subsequently claimed to be the victim of hate crimes for being black.

Ms Dolezal, then known as Rachel Moore, received a Master of Fine Arts degree from Howard University 13 years ago.

Court documents obtained by the Smoking Gun website show that she sued the university for "discrimination based on race, pregnancy, family responsibilities and gender".

As part of her claim, she alleged that some of her artwork had been removed from an exhibition in order to favour black students.

She said the art was removed from the 2001 exhibition because Howard University was "motivated by a discriminatory purpose to favour African-American students over".

The case was dismissed in 2004, with no evidence found that Ms Dolezal had been discriminated against. That decision was upheld by the Court of Appeal in 2005. She was ordered to pay costs of $2,728.50 (£1,752) to Howard."

White in 2002 yet Speaking to NBC, she said that from the age of five she "was drawing self-portraits with the brown crayon instead of the peach crayon".

"if you can't beat them, then join them" springs to mind. It seems her colour changes when her needs change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Speaking to NBC, she said that from the age of five she "was drawing self-portraits with the brown crayon instead of the peach crayon".

This is startlingly similar to the way that transgender people describe their childhood, maybe transethnicity is real after all?

Yet "2002 she sued the historically black Howard University for discriminating against her for being white."
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Internalized self loathing of her own culture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except we don't know she was doing that, as many things she said didn't seem to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Except we don't know she was doing that, as many things she said didn't seem to happen.

Indeed.

I think she just says all the 'right' things (or rather, the 'things du jour'). Basically takes a textbook approach to her identity and its development.

I can imagine that with three adopted black brothers she felt very left out though.

Perhaps it was just one of their childhood crayonings she copied, before she'd reached the Turner stage. ;-)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    Indeed.

I think she just says all the 'right' things (or rather, the 'things du jour'). Basically takes a textbook approach to her identity and its development.

I can imagine that with three adopted black brothers she felt very left out though.

Perhaps it was just one of their childhood crayonings she copied, before she'd reached the Turner stage. ;-)

I work in licensing, which often sees lawsuits involving allegations of plagiarism. It's interesting to note that when a person is accused of plagiarising a creation, investigators tend to check the person's earlier works - to see whether there's a history of plagiarism - because it's found that when the proven plagiarists started plagiarising, usually during their early teens, they usually can't stop doing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I work in licensing, which often sees lawsuits involving allegations of plagiarism. It's interesting to note that when a person is accused of plagiarising a creation, investigators tend to check the person's earlier works - to see whether there's a history of plagiarism - because it's found that when the proven plagiarists started plagiarising, usually during their early teens, they usually can't stop doing it.

Hmm, that is interesting. I mean, I was joking about the crayoning, but there will be a looong history of this I'm sure. Bet not many plagiarists go as far as plagiarising a whole identity though!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    Hmm, that is interesting. I mean, I was joking about the crayoning, but there will be a looong history of this I'm sure. Bet not many plagiarists go as far as plagiarising a whole identity though!

:D:D:D Actually, some plagiarists did appear to have invented their backgrounds. I read a really interesting article about this in an issue of I think the JAEBR (Journal of Applied Economics and Business Research) a few years ago.

If I remember rightly, the authors found that the majority of alleged plagiarists - in this case, the academics who had been caught plagiarising - had a tendency to falsify their credentials and amend their personal backgrounds to fit their preferred personae.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »

True, she could be making the whole thing up.

Let's assume that she is lying about being transethnic, doesn't the fact that she went to such lengths to appear black utterly destroy the doctrine of 'white privilege'?
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Former TV host Montel Williams has commented on the easy ride she got in her exclusive 'Today' show interview earlier -

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/the-rachel-dolezal-interview-that-wasnt-a-hidden-cost-of-the-exclusive/264999
    She’s been flip-flopping her race and fabricating bias in every identity she chooses. And yet instead of asking “Have you been dishonest?” Today preferred to focus on, “What race are you today?” That’s like Wells Fargo asking a bank-robber, “Are you withdrawing or depositing?”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    Former TV host Montel Williams has commented on the easy ride she got in her exclusive 'Today' show interview earlier -

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/the-rachel-dolezal-interview-that-wasnt-a-hidden-cost-of-the-exclusive/264999

As I said earlier it seems her colour changes when her needs change. If there's any major backlash from the black community I wonder if she'll still declare herself as black?

Love Montel's quote "That’s like Wells Fargo asking a bank-robber, “Are you withdrawing or depositing?” " :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    As I said earlier it seems her colour changes when her needs change. If there's any major backlash from the black community I wonder if she'll still declare herself as black?

Love Montel's quote "That’s like Wells Fargo asking a bank-robber, “Are you withdrawing or depositing?” " :)

The lady has lost her job, she is a laughing stock, she has been subject to an internet lynching. Does she need any more? I think it is wrong to keep kicking someone once they are down.

Now that she has resigned can't people just stop this witch hunt against her. It is not like she is a murderer or a rapist. By all accounts before she was outed she was doing good, and working for black rights. Now the media attention is turned to her rather than police beating black teenagers or shooting unarmed people, as if she is the biggest threat to black people and race relations......

As for her parents she might not be trustworthy. But neither are they. They had an ulterior motive to discredit her witness statement in a case of child abuse.
    Personally I am with Al Sharpton and Whoopi Goldberg on this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rozafa wrote: »
    The lady has lost her job, she is a laughing stock, she has been subject to an internet lynching. Does she need any more? I think it is wrong to keep kicking someone once they are down.

Now that she has resigned can't people just stop this witch hunt against her. It is not like she is a murderer or a rapist. By all accounts before she was outed she was doing good, and working for black rights. Now the media attention is turned to her rather than police beating black teenagers or shooting unarmed people, as if she is the biggest threat to black people and race relations......

As for her parents she might not be trustworthy. But neither are they. They had an ulterior motive to discredit her witness statement in a case of child abuse.
    Personally I am with Al Sharpton and Whoopi Goldberg on this one.

She put herself in the spotlight. No-one's fault but her own. Simple remedy don't read other people's comments if it upsets.

BIB: Good for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She put herself in the spotlight. No-one's fault but her own. Simple remedy don't read other people's comments if it upsets.

She didnt put herself in the spotlight, her parents did.

As for not reading the comments , it doesnt upset me because it is not about me, but it doesnt stop me thinking the 15 minutes of hate that happen when someone makes a transgression that gets alot of media attention is wrong and one of the worse qualities of human nature that we have.

BTW Have you read Jon Ronson? He has written about this phonomenon
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for not reading the comments , it doesnt upset me because it is not about me, but it doesnt stop me thinking the 15 minutes of hate that we get online about her or anybody else is wrong.

Her parents were asked to verify their relationship to her by a reporter who was writing an expose. They told the reporter (this is the hard part, so hang tough) the TRUTH about their daughter's childhood and home life and debunked stories she was telling about herself. The expose and her life unraveling were coming any day as it was because her story telling had raised red flags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for not reading the comments , it doesnt upset me because it is not about me, but it doesnt stop me thinking the 15 minutes of hate that happen when someone makes a transgression that gets alot of media attention is wrong and one of the worse qualities of human nature that we have.

BTW Have you read Jon Ronson? He has written about this phonomenon

Do you think if there was any malice intended they wouldn't have come forward before now? They were asked a question and they answered it. Her fibs were exposed. No sympathy for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her parents were asked to verify their relationship to her by a reporter who was writing an expose. They told the reporter (this is the hard part, so hang tough) the TRUTH about their daughter's childhood and home life and debunked stories she was telling about herself. The expose and her life unraveling were coming any day as it was because her story telling had raised red flags.

Yeah it was just a happy coincidence that they had just ordered a fresh copy of her birth certificate;-)
    And another happy coincidence that they are doing all the media rounds including making interviews to international tv stations. It is just such a shame that they are only interested in talking about their daughter and what colour crayons she used when she was a child over 30 ago but when asked about the child sex abuse case that another daughter has made they suddenly dont want to amswer any more questions.

Do you think if there was any malice intended they wouldn't have come forward before now? They were asked a question and they answered it. Her fibs were exposed. No sympathy for her.
    See my above answer, there was absolute malice intended due to a case of sexual abuse that Rachel was testifying in.