Options

Emmerdale 'Continuity'

sebanellisebanelli Posts: 63
Forum Member
Watching last night's episode, I was amazed at the dreadful continuity failure - near the beginning, the village was blanketed in a thick carpet of snow. However, just up the road it seemed not a flake had fallen as Hannah and Victoria's parents chatted about the bullying. Indeed, in the background all that could be seen were green verdant fields!! Come on producers, get a bloody grip. THAT was embarrasing and very amateurish.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right - they should have scrapped and reshot all the scenes that had already been filmed before the snow fell.

OR hired a giant blow-torch to melt all the snow so it matched what had already been filmed.

:cool:
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    sebanelli wrote: »
    Watching last night's episode, I was amazed at the dreadful continuity failure - near the beginning, the village was blanketed in a thick carpet of snow. However, just up the road it seemed not a flake had fallen as Hannah and Victoria's parents chatted about the bullying. Indeed, in the background all that could be seen were green verdant fields!! Come on producers, get a bloody grip. THAT was embarrasing and very amateurish.:rolleyes:

That's happened in soaps upteen times, constrasting weather in different scenes shown 10 seconds apart. And not just snow.

I always remember many years ago in Corrie. Deirdre was seen - in the street - walking to Ken's Recorder office (that's how long ago it was!) with a brolly up cos it was raining, the ground soaking wet. We saw her walking through the rain.

She was in the office for literally 3 or 4 minutes, there was an arguement and she walked out. Ken followed her and we were treated to the sight of them in the street having words, Deirdre holding the folded up umbrella ... and the pavement bone dry! lol

It was probably the first time I'd noticed something like that myself, which is why it's always stuck in my mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member

This has happened before with Emmerdale.
    Just goes to show, they dont give a monkeys about the quality of the product they make.

coming up next in the dales.....
    Edna takes the kids on a summer picnic.
    To amuse the kids, she makes a snowman.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    You are right - they should have scrapped and reshot all the scenes that had already been filmed before the snow fell.

OR hired a giant blow-torch to melt all the snow so it matched what had already been filmed.

Well said! Soaps are at the mercy of the elements for the outdoor scenes and, while they try to keep continuity, it's simply not always possible given that they have no control over the weather.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D:D

Yeah- look-I don't mind constructive criticism but this is daft- it is not a $300 million film- it is a working soap-
    Scenes are shot out of continuity- sometimes scenes which make up one half of a episodes are shot days if not weeks apart- and ED has to shoot six episodes a week- they can hardly afford to re shoot everything so that weather matches perfectly

It is like pregnant actresses- they do very little to hide bumps anymore and just ask the viewer to ignore it- we know the actresses are really pregnant-

Viewers aren't idiots- give us some credit- we can understand the time constraints involved in producing 6 episodes a week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

Yeah- look-I don't mind constructive criticism but this is daft- it is not a $300 million film- it is a working soap-
    Scenes are shot out of continuity- sometimes scenes which make up one half of a episodes are shot days if not weeks apart- and ED has to shoot six episodes a week- they can hardly afford to re shoot everything so that weather matches perfectly

It is like pregnant actresses- they do very little to hide bumps anymore and just ask the viewer to ignore it- we know the actresses are really pregnant-

Viewers aren't idiots- give us some credit- we can understand the time constraints involved in producing 6 episodes a week

Yes, I've said before I like Emmerdale for doing that, treating the viewer like intelligent people who can tell fact from fiction. I remember when 'Katie' was pregnant, about 5 years ago now. She'd wear black leggings and black tops, but her baby bulge was still very evident in some scenes.

And of course, more recently 'Laurel's' pregnancy was even more obvious. And now 'Debbie' is looking very plump in some scenes, for such a skinny young woman. lol

They're not as easy about it in other soaps. I remember watching Corrie when 'Leanne' was pregnant first time and there was a lot of 'from the neck up' filming to hide her baby belly.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Not necessarily. On Saturday snow fell in my road and only down one side of the main road. 20 mins walk into town and no snow there at all.

Last time it snowed there was more snow towards Sandgate. Snow can be inconsistent.
  • Options
    PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hostajohn wrote: »
    This has happened before with Emmerdale.
    Just goes to show, they dont give a monkeys about the quality of the product they make.

coming up next in the dales.....
    Edna takes the kids on a summer picnic.
    To amuse the kids, she makes a snowman.

So what would you suggest? They re-shoot every single scene with the snow again?

The producers have no control over the weather. Perhaps if it affects you that much and makes the TV show look sloppy then you should stop watching.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member

I have a better idea. How about they gather up people who are full of hot air to visit the village, I'm sure they'd soon melt it whilst they rant about the cheek of it to snow. Charge each participant £20 to take part and Emmerdale could make a bit of extra money on the side too.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily. On Saturday snow fell in my road and only down one side of the main road. 20 mins walk into town and no snow there at all.

We live in a cul de sac we call the Twilight Zone cos the snow is usually still on the ground when outside the cul de sac it's dry pavements!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    When I started work on Emmerdale I was assured that the Village location was contained within it's own microclimatic bubble, much like the Truman Show, which could be switched between weather conditions as demand arose.

Imagine how annoyed I feel now. And frostbite of certain extremeties is no laughing matter.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many days did they wait before attemtping outside filming Nick, or did they just carry on regardless?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't bother me if theres slight continuity errors with the weather mainly because they cant control it.

I do have to give them credit for scenes (i know theres some in Thursday's episodes) where its blizard conditions yet they still filmed scenes to try and keep on schedule. Poor actors having to do that.
    Given about half the scenes in an episode are filmed outside good on them for just saying stuff it and filming even if the actors look like they're about to turn into icecubes.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC they lost 3 days of outdoor shooting time but they did very well clearing the village using the large JCBs and tractors available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this kind of thing happens in soaps all the time...I guess sometimes the storyline isn't enough to keep you distracted lol:D
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,940
    Forum Member
    The sudden appearance of snow didn't bother me. After all we all knew it had snowed and know programmes are filmed in advance and things like the weather can't exactly be controlled.

My mum reckoned they should have filmed a load of random scenes which could be slotted into the Christmas 2010 episodes without looking out of place. You know the kind of stuff where they all come out into the street on Christmas Eve to see it snowing etc :D Would have saved them a fortune in hiring a snow machine :D

I was surprised they even managed to wade their way through to the village in the first place, never mind do any filming considering how remote the village looks on Google Earth. :eek:
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Nick Miles wrote: »
    When I started work on Emmerdale I was assured that the Village location was contained within it's own microclimatic bubble, much like the Truman Show, which could be switched between weather conditions as demand arose.

Imagine how annoyed I feel now. And frostbite of certain extremeties is no laughing matter.

....and that's just in Summer! :D
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I was actually impressed by the snow as I'd joked that during the last big freeze we'd suddenly see the village coated in snow a month to 6 weeks in the future. Imagine my glee when it was actually snowing quite heavily today in Yorkshire! It made the Emmerdale team look amazingly prescient!
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nick Miles wrote: »

I thought 'Nico' removed those months ago Nick?:confused::o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I have noticed too is hair cuts, specially with male cast members who it is more noticable, and not only Emmerdale , but you see one day he will look all trimmed up the next he will need a hair cut again, dont know why but I allways notice that, must be something in the tea that makes it grow over night:D
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    Goodness, there have been some feeble criticisms of Emmy on DS lately, but this one just about takes the biscuit. Shock, horror, the producers can't control the weather. Sack 'em all!
  • Options
    CanbyCanby Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    It was snowing heavily at Harewood yesterday, where Emmerdale is filmed, but where I live only 2 miles away we only had rain! Yorkshire weather is very localised...
  • Options
    arteroartero Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had heavy snow for an hour yesterday. Two hours later all gone. It happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's why in the good old days programme makers hated going out of the studio. In the 70s and 80s, TV drama was virtually all shot in a studio with just a few minutes of outdoor shots slotted in if you were lucky.
    Personally I'll take the sometimes funny continuity of outdoor shots over the claustrophobia and stageyness of 70s drama any day.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gavin on the live chat after nasha did mark in appologised for the snow he said it was so bad they had to abandon filming and applogied as he said over the next couple of weeks snow would be present in some scenes but there was nothing they could do about it when half the cast couldnt get in to work.

So the snow continuety is down to an act of god and beyond gavins control.