International Cricket Thread Autumn/Winter 2010-2011

jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
Forum Member
First day of the India versus Australia series, which has popped up on Sky.

Start of a busy winter to be followed with Australia versus Sri Lanka and then of course the Ashes.

Expected a boring day's play today with high scoring on a flat dead pitch, but was suprised to see a scoreline of 224/5.

And Ricky Ponting managed to run himself by ball watching...again. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    This is a very slow scoring innings, though Watson must be more reliable than Phil Hughes ( he was a total flop in county cricket last year). Cricinfo's report claims that Watson has scored 11 Test centuries, that did surprise me a bit , and this is in fact only his second.

PS ; Jo , Thanks for starting a new thread, it will become a bit busier soon enough.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    This is a very slow scoring innings, though Watson must be more reliable than Phil Hughes ( he was a total flop in county cricket last year). Cricinfo's report claims that Watson has scored 11 Test centuries, that did surprise me a bit , and this is in fact only his second.

PS ; Jo , Thanks for starting a new thread, it will become a bit busier soon enough.

Finally, a reply, I was getting a bit worried. :D

Looks like Johnson's swung the bat for a few runs and their keeper Paine is still batting. They've got this bloke North who either makes a good score or next to nothing (or indeed nothing in this innings). I can't see him being around for the Ashes.
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim Paine!! There was a maiden test ton there....
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sehwag is just ridiculously good
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sehwag is just ridiculously good

He is a good player but I have a feeling he wouldn't have been as good say 20 years ago when bowlers were a lot better and wickets were shall we say more lively. I know he has big averages etc but I only ever see him get runs on very flat wickets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah Sehwag is quality. H'd score runs in any era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    Nah Sehwag is quality. H'd score runs in any era.

NO he wouldn't. I think Sachin and Dravid would score in any era as they are technically very good players. Sehwag is flat track bully who wouldn't have lasted long against the great fast bowlers of the 1980's.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The extraordinary Tendular heads towards yet another test century.
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    The extraordinary Tendular heads towards yet another test century.

Sadly, not quite. This does look like great Test building up, and the much maligned Mitchell Johnson is having a good game, but not so the hapless Hauritz.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    NO he wouldn't. I think Sachin and Dravid would score in any era as they are technically very good players. Sehwag is flat track bully who wouldn't have lasted long against the great fast bowlers of the 1980's.

Is he though?

He scored a century on his debut in South Africa, he scored two centuries on NZ greentops in 2003 when most of the batsmen on either side struggled to make double figures. I think he has a 60+ average in Australia as well.

He makes massive scores, and has the best hand-eye coordination in cricket, opposition bowlers are **** scared of him.

For me, he's the best opener that I've seen bar Matthew Hayden. Yeah he probably would have struggled against the 80's WI fast bowlers, but then most batsmen did from what i read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Shame Tendulkar was out just short of his century I think unless there are quick wickets tommorow this match will end in a draw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's 8 or 9 test 90s for ST now though it's only a matter of time before he gets to his half century of test centuries. Top runscorer in test cricket this year as well now. Raina played well for his 86.

Although India suffered a late innings collapse it may not be a disaster. There's signs of turn and if Harbhajan works his magic tomorrow India can still win this.
    Forum Member
    Aussies are 8 down with a lead of only 205. Can't see Hilfenhaus doing a Stuart Broad with the bat. Can't see the Aussies bowling India out cheaply, though Johnson took 6 for in the first innings.
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen one of the most disgraceful lbw decisions in my time watching cricket. Why is there no review system in this series?
    Forum Member
    AZ fan wrote: »
    Just seen one of the most disgraceful lbw decisions in my time watching cricket. Why is there no review system in this series?

You should've seen the LBW decision against Hussey :eek: The ball pitched outside of leg and he was given out lbw.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they're trying to get it over early to get some spectators at the Commonwealth games !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Maybe they're trying to get it over early to get some spectators at the Commonwealth games !

There's hardly anyone at the test match either so not much to improve on. Tomorrow should be an interesting finish, I make Aussies slight favourites at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    There's hardly anyone at the test match either so not much to improve on. Tomorrow should be an interesting finish, I make Aussies slight favourites at the moment.

Yeah, I noticed the crowd(or lack of it). The guy on the radio reckons that they all stay in and watch the cricket on the TV so that they can bet on it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Looks like a good finish to the test after i said it was going towards a draw could go either way early start in the morning i think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really exciting finish . India need 48 to win with 8 wickets down and VVS at the crease batting with a runner (which has already led to Dhoni being run out)

What price the tie.......
  • tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Sadly, not quite. This does look like great Test building up, and the much maligned Mitchell Johnson is having a good game, but not so the hapless Hauritz.

yes it was a great thrilling test. VVS does it again!!! to win by one wicket especially when India were 8 down and needed another 35 runs. what a test match.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a good win this was for India and full credit to VVS and Sharma in particular after they were 124-8. A great match and a great advert for test cricket. Hopefully it will entice a few more through the gates for the next test.
    Forum Member
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    yes it was a great thrilling test. VVS does it again!!! to win by one wicket especially when India were 8 down and needed another 35 runs. what a test match.

Fantastic game, it was 92 they needed at 124-8! The Veteran Very special does the stuff
  • tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this change englands test rankings?? I read somewhere that Eng will go above the aussies if the ausies lose.
This discussion has been closed.