Whats wrong with Chelsea?

catchphrasecatchphrase Posts: 22
Forum Member
Are they just going through a temporary loss of form that all teams go through during a season or are their problems deeper than that?

It's starting to look less like form and more like a direct reaction to not having Wilkins' expertise to hand. Ludicrous decision to get rid of him when they did, Roman will be binning Ancelotti soon I'm sure.

Comments

• SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they're just playing as they've played all season.

We all remember their first six games with everyone on DS and in the media having massive week long pig orgasms.

The users of DS and the media (the same ones who wrote United off after a few away draws) didn't seem to look at the teams they were actually playing in those opening games.

Now they've played the big boys (ie teams in the top half of the table) their frailty has been exposed.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the long term price you pay for having managers with an average life expectancy of 18 months.

Sir Alex remarked about a year ago that Chelsea's players were getting older and Chelsea haven't really acted on it. Manager's their care only about the short term results business and the owner has probably been happy that he hasn't been asked for any huge financial outlay to replenish these stars as they get older.

I think Chelsea's problem is essentially that they lack strength in depth and the first choices they have, many are at a stage now where injuries and niggles will come more frequently and take longer to recover from.

If Chelsea stuck by Mourinho or had any kind of consistency in the manager's hot seat, the boss would have been able to see this from a long way off and rectified it and evolved the team appropriately.

As I said, its the price for getting through so many managers in just a short space of time. You don't have anyone to look out for the iceberg ahead or plan for the future. So these things just creep up on you.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting rid of Ancelotti would be a terrible mistake. He should be given the opportunity to build.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Could be a number of reasons but it's great isn't it! May it continue.
  • ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    They have gone to pieces since Butch was fired plus they have shown that Lampard and Drogba have carried them, since Lampard got injured and Drogba ill they haven't been the same
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way they've let the squad thin out is ridiculous.
    Compare the strength of Arsenal's bench last night with theirs..
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    they were just extremely lucky last season, luck does not last forever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't win a 38-game league by luck.
  • DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they just going through a temporary loss of form that all teams go through during a season or are their problems deeper than that?

It's starting to look less like form and more like a direct reaction to not having Wilkins' expertise to hand. Ludicrous decision to get rid of him when they did, Roman will be binning Ancelotti soon I'm sure.

Think there is some unrest there myself, seems odd that Wilkins was allegedly sacked at half time during a second string game and they havent won since

Think Ancelotti will be sacked before the New Year as well, last night they just werent interested, Drogba wasnt last week in the previous match
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    You don't win a 38-game league by luck.

10 points+ worth of refereeing mistakes help. they are not getting that this season, if they did they'd still be top
  • DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting rid of Ancelotti would be a terrible mistake. He should be given the opportunity to build.

To build what, I would be able to do the same job as Ancelotti, all I need is Romans millions for new players

To prove a point look at Avram Grant!!!
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Could be a number of reasons but it's great isn't it! May it continue.
    Chelsea on their way to being just an ordinary team. I'm afraid the bubble has burst, get use to being mid table! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davey84 wrote: »
    10 points+ worth of refereeing mistakes help. they are not getting that this season, if they did they'd still be top

Ah yes of course, extreme luck and refereeing mistakes. That's what won the league. Not that you're insanely biased or anything.
    To build what, I would be able to do the same job as Ancelotti, all I need is Romans millions for new players

To prove a point look at Avram Grant!!!

Avram Grant who didn't win the league? What about the World Cup winning coach who didn't cut the mustard there?

If successful management of Chelsea just meant spending millions, Claudio Ranieri would still be boss.
    Forum Member
    Ah yes of course, extreme luck and refereeing mistakes. That's what won the league. Not that you're insanely biased or anything.

Avram Grant who didn't win the league? What about the World Cup winning coach who didn't cut the mustard there?

If successful management of Chelsea just meant spending millions, Claudio Ranieri would still be boss.

im not biased at all just looking at things objectively, chelsea have been on receiving end of refereeing mistakes ie the 2009 champs league semi final against barca....but u seem to think referees can do no wrong despite the fact some are a disgrace
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say referees can do no wrong, I'm saying Chelsea won the league on merit.

I'm sure you're not biased, having just been edged out that season by the team who were 'extremely lucky' and had 10 points apparently handed to them thanks to officiating ineptitude. You're a model of objectivity.
    Forum Member
    I didn't say referees can do no wrong, I'm saying Chelsea won the league on merit.

I'm sure you're not biased, having just been edged out that season by the team who were 'extremely lucky' and had 10 points apparently handed to them thanks to officiating ineptitude. You're a model of objectivity.

so barcelona beat chelsea in the champions league semi's on merit as well?...despite being robbed at least twice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You appear to be arguing the point that referees can make bad calls, despite nobody questioning it

If you can tell me how that applies to Chelsea winning the Premier League over 38 games and how they earnt 10+ points specifically as part of incompetence and not by attaining results, please do. Objective as you are.
    Forum Member
    you seem to think every sinlge win is on 100% merit. Truth is most games are, but some are decided by incompetent refs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again you're making up arguments. Let's say that Chelsea were the beneficiary of some questionable calls last season (10+ points worth? Ridiculous). Were second place Man Utd (who you support but have no bias against Chelsea's win) not also therefore gifted points in a similar manner, or is there some form of conspiracy at hand?
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davey84 wrote: »
    you seem to think every sinlge win is on 100% merit. Truth is most games are, but some are decided by incompetent refs

I think sometimes you're guilty of taking isolated incident and making a rule of thumb to base your opinion on.

Reading the thread it is a bit annoying that the discussion has now turned into this cul-de-sac of argument as it's completely irrelevant to anything.

A cup tie, two seasons ago now, is hardly really much to get excited over.

Why are Chelsea playing poorly? Because they didn't get a penalty at the Bridge in April 2009?

Really?
    Forum Member
    I think sometimes you're guilty of taking isolated incident and making a rule of thumb to base your opinion on.

Reading the thread it is a bit annoying that the discussion has now turned into this cul-de-sac of argument as it's completely irrelevant to anything.

A cup tie, two seasons ago now, is hardly really much to get excited over.

Why are Chelsea playing poorly? Because they didn't get a penalty at the Bridge in April 2009?

Really?

they are not getting the results this season as they are not getting the "free goals" given to them by referees
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hate to think that you actually believe this nonsense.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again you're making up arguments. Let's say that Chelsea were the beneficiary of some questionable calls last season (10+ points worth? Ridiculous). Were second place Man Utd (who you support but have no bias against Chelsea's win) not also therefore gifted points in a similar manner, or is there some form of conspiracy at hand?

Both Chelsea wins last year against United were directly influenced by refereeing decisions.

I'm not sure if we went back and changed those decisions what the final points tally at the end of the season would have been, but it would have been closer at least.

EDIT: Chelsea won the league by one point.
    Forum Member
    well there is nothing wrong with chelsea, they are just playing to the standard we expect them to play when there is a competent referee in charge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And those were the only two games in which decisions were a factor for either side?