Options

The Queen could take a lesson or two from Pope Francis

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now, I am not a Catholic or even religious, and I'm not necessarily the biggest supporter of the Catholic Church, but I am always impressed by modesty and humility of the powerful.

Pope Francis, hours after being elected Pope, was photographed taking a mini bus out of the Vatican instead of a Papal limousine. As Archbishop of Buenos Aires, he opted for a modest apartment instead of the archbishop's palace that normally houses men of his position.

Our horrible Monarch, and apparent head of the Church of England, on the other hand, wouldn't be seen dead in anything other than a state-of-the-art 4x4 or limo, paid for by the tax payer. Likewise, not only does she prefer to stay in a palace as opposed to a more modest property, she stays in multiple palaces, funded by the tax payer as opposed to her enormous personal wealth.

Also, can you imagine 'Her Majesty' kissing the feet of AIDS patients? She won't even shake the hand of a commoner without wearing gloves.

Comments

• Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    Now, I am not a Catholic or even religious, and I'm not necessarily the biggest supporter of the Catholic Church, but I am always impressed by modesty and humility of the powerful.

Pope Francis, hours after being elected Pope, was photographed taking a mini bus out of the Vatican instead of a Papal limousine. As Archbishop of Buenos Aires, he opted for a modest apartment instead of the archbishop's palace that normally houses men of his position.

Our horrible Monarch, and apparent head of the Church of England, on the other hand, wouldn't be seen dead in anything other than a state-of-the-art 4x4 or limo, paid for by the tax payer. Likewise, not only does she prefer to stay in a palace as opposed to a more modest property, she stays in multiple palaces, funded by the tax payer as opposed to her enormous personal wealth.

Also, can you imagine 'Her Majesty' kissing the feet of AIDS patients? She won't even shake the hand of a commoner without wearing gloves.

Nice try :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why have you referred to the Queen as horrible, Freeman...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moondew wrote: »
    Nice try :rolleyes:

Urgh. I'm not trying to do anything, other than initiate a discussion. Just because Royalists don't want to hear how revolting the Queen is, it doesn't mean that anyone who points it out is on a trolling mission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Why have you referred to the Queen as horrible, Freeman...?

I don't like her. All those years as Head of State and not once has she ever made a worthwhile gesture of humility. Instead she chooses to live a life of luxury, at our expense.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the head of the most morally bankrupt organisation in the world is to he held up as a shining example?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Horrible? Revolting? It's all down to taste, I suppose. Some people think Bovril is horrible. Some people think fellatio is revolting.

I don't think the Queen needs lessons in anything. She's doing fine just as she is.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Horrible? Revolting? It's all down to taste, I suppose. Some people think Bovril is horrible. Some people think fellatio is revolting.

I don't think the Queen needs lessons in anything. She's doing fine just as she is.

Some people even know what it is!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, and I have a strong distaste for greed. Our Queen is greedy, and she makes no effort to be humble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, and I have a strong distaste for greed. Our Queen is greedy, and she makes no effort to be humble.

Nonsense. You just like to complain about the Royals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Some people even know what it is!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Perhaps not, but she probably wouldn't spend 10 minutes trying to persuade those aid patients that condoms are evil.

Suggesting the queen takes guidance from the pope is like suggesting Hitler should have given Fred West a call.
  • Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like her. All those years as Head of State and not once has she ever made a worthwhile gesture of humility. Instead she chooses to live a life of luxury, at our expense.

Why would the head of state, ie the person at the very top of society, make a gesture of humility? That isn't their role at all. And the royal family don't live at our expense, they have their own income from the crown estates, most of which is given to the government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not so greedy as the Catholic church.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likewise, not only does she prefer to stay in a palace as opposed to a more modest property, she stays in multiple palaces, funded by the tax payer as opposed to her enormous personal wealth.
    Is it therefore your belief that, once the Papal apartments have been renovated, Francis will choose not to stay in the lavishly appointed Vatican City residence funded by the very wealthy Catholic Church but will instead take up a small modest flat in Rome paid for from his own pocket?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooo! Let's see who can start the most contentious thread today :yawn:
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like her. .

Oh dear....

And there was me thinking you were her maj's biggest fan....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's actually very frugal in her day to day life, which you shouldn't confuse with the show that is put on from time to time to support her in in her role as head of state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense. You just like to complain about the Royals.

Even the vulgar and gluttonous Saudi Royal Family dress down in rags and become 'one of the people' during the Haj to Mecca. Not once can I recall the Queen making any such gesture.

She wouldn't know the meaning of the word humility if it struck her in the face.
    Why would the head of state, ie the person at the very top of society, make a gesture of humility? That isn't their role at all. And the royal family don't live at our expense, they have their own income from the crown estates, most of which is given to the government.

The Crown Estate isn't the private property of the Royal Family. It belongs to the British nation. If the Queen cared so much about 'her' country, she would maintain her palaces and ludicrously extravagant lifestyle with the hundreds of millions of pounds she has.

Croctacus wrote: »
    Not so greedy as the Catholic church.

That is a different matter.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Oh dear....

And there was me thinking you were her maj's biggest fan....:rolleyes:
    She wouldn't let him perform fellatio on her. :cry:
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    She wouldn't let him perform fellatio on her. :cry:

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    She's actually very frugal in her day to day life, which you shouldn't confuse with the show that is put on from time to time to support her in in her role as head of state.

Frugal? She employs people to dress her in the morning, for Christ's sake. And she has somebody who runs her a bath. Imagine that, too lazy to run your own bath. And we pay for this!
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not quite true, the crown estate income is not theirs, it has always been for the governance of the state. Even the royal.gov website makes it clear that the income from the crown estates is not and never has been the Windsors'. The word 'crown' and the legal fiction of the 'surrender' of the wealth just throws people a bit.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.

And that is all the OP wants to hear. Thread over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The signal went off quick!