Options

The popularity of the likes of Helen Wood and Katie Hopkins

psy7chpsy7ch Posts: 10,717
Forum Member
✭✭
Does this reflect a change in societies values or is it just the demographic make up of the BB viewer that has changed now? They wouldn't have stood a chance of winning BB a few years ago.

Comments

• Options
    MelaxMelax Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the above. It's just a general reflection of people being sick of being told what and/or who to like by a vociferous minority who are continually out of touch with the majority.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    The world is changing, and the in thing for this decade is outspoken people, no matter how insincere they are. I suppose some have taken the standing on a soapbox, and made it into a money making thing very serious, and the generations are seeking for these people to look up to.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melax wrote: »
    None of the above. It's just a general reflection of people being sick of being told what and/or who to like by a vociferous minority who are continually out of touch with the majority.

I'm pretty sure those who dislike Hopkins are not a "minority". She was disliked by most people who knew of her before CBB, and a majority of those won't even be watching the series, so I highly doubt the majority of the GBP suddenly likes her.

Heck, it's not even a minority of BB fans who dislike her. While she leads favourite polls, she rates highly on least favourite polls too, tying for the top spot with Perez at one point on a recent poll. This "Most people like her and those who don't are few" idea is pure fantasy. In terms of viewers, the ratio of those who like and dislike her seems pretty equal.

The same goes for Helen. Nothing about her win suggests that her detractors were simply "a vociferous minority".
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psy7ch wrote: »
    Does this reflect a change in societies values or is it just the demographic make up of the BB viewer that has changed now? They wouldn't have stood a chance of winning BB a few years ago.

Absolutely.

Compare the likes of Katie Hopkins and Helen Wood to Rachel Rice and Shilpa Shetty?

I rest my case.

I've been watching BB since series one and the choice of winners now is a sad reflection of what society has now become.

Times have changed, people have changed and not for the better.

A loud mouth bigot with a lack of compassion and sincerity is more appealing to the audience who watch 'now' as oppose to the audience who watched 7-15 years ago.

Its the Jeremy Kyle culture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Compare the likes of Katie Hopkins and Helen Wood to Rachel Rice and Shilpa Shetty?

I rest my case.

I've been watching BB since series one and the choice of winners now is a sad reflection of what society has now become.

A loud mouth bigot with a lack of compassion and sincerity is more appealing to the audience who watch 'now' as oppose to the audience who watched 7-15 years ago.

Give me a "bore" like Rachel Rice over vicious bitches like Hopkins and Wood anyday.

(Not that I found Rachel boring at all, but that's the popular line trotted out, isn't it?).
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melax wrote: »

I really don't get your point. Are you saying that the support is based simply on the desire to be contrary? And has nothing to do with Katie H at all? If so, I fully agree.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me a "bore" like Rachel Rice over vicious bitches like Hopkins and Wood anyday.

(Not that I found Rachel boring at all, but that's the popular line trotted out, isn't it?).

It is yeah. I thought Rachel Rice, while not a memorable winner, was a worthy one.

She gave her opinion is a diplomatic and fair way, always respectful of other peoples views and faced a lot of opposition in that house but did not once compromise herself for the sake of airtime or coverage. She was there for the experience and returned to her life as a teacher after her win.

She was the complete opposite to Hopkins and Wood in every shape and form and it's a sad state of affairs when people prefer this brand of nastiess fobbed of as "real" over real role models and inspiring females like Rachel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is yeah. I thought Rachel Rice, while not a memorable winner, was a worthy one.

She gave her opinion is a diplomatic and fair way, always respectful of other peoples views and faced a lot of opposition in that house but did not once compromise herself for the sake of airtime or coverage. She was there for the experience and returned to her life as a teacher after her win.

She was the complete opposite to Hopkins and Wood in every shape and form and it's a sad state of affairs when people prefer this brand of nastiess fobbed of as "real" over real role models and inspiring females like Rachel.

Brilliant post.

People seem to conveniently forget that Rachel spoke her mind plenty in order to perpetuate the "fence sitter" nonsense. She just didn't scream and shout her opinion, or feel the need to be nasty to get it across (despite having a lot of nastiness levelled at her in there).

She's a perfect example of a strong, intelligent woman. It bemuses me when people use those terms to describe people like Katie H and Helen, who are the utter opposite of that. An intelligent woman can speak her mind without being cruel, a strong woman can retain her decency even when being on the receiving end of unwarranted hostility.

Hopkins and Wood are neither strong nor intelligent. They're just horrid.
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    I think the demographic has changed since it moved to Ch 5. The show itself has gone distinctly downmarket, appealing to the kind of people who watch the trash-telly type of shows, so it's inevitable really that that will be reflected in the HMs chosen to go in there as well as the ones that end up winning.

Also, unmoderated social media like Twitter has given some people a taste for all that 'tell it like it is', 'I'm only being honest' bollux that's just an excuse for being hateful, so a lot more people are used to behaving like that now and see nothing wrong with it. Until they are on the receiving end, of course, when they get all uppity and offended, because at the same time as wanting to be able to say whatever comes into their heads, they also want not to be offended or upset by other peoples' honesty.
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it might be because it's less acceptable for the bigots, bullies racists, homophobes etc..to spout their thoughts openly like they used to be able to do without being told to shut up. So they feel the only way to express such sentiments is vicariously through supporting some loudmouth celebrity who will get all the flak instead of them.

Note that they always support the celebrity and never the things they actually say, the worst of which is usually dismissed as a joke or a misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Amelia_SutherlaAmelia_Sutherla Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely.

I rest my case.

Spot on horrendous people these days are to be admired,it's shocking.
  • Options
    weekarnygeeweekarnygee Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I don't agree with the notion that Helen and Katie are alike. I could not stand Helen she was a vicious nasty piece of work in the house and I have not seen that from Katie. The only person I have seen her being unpleasant to is Perez who frankly deserves all he gets because he is a moron and is constantly making life unbearable in that house. I think it would be worse if Perez was popular because that behaviour should not be rewarded.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Absolutely.

I rest my case.

I agree with this, and it almost makes me ashamed to be a BB fan, because the show has become synonymous with that type of obnoxious outspoken attitude.

It's the idea that 'brutal honesty' is a good thing. It's the brutal bit that bothers me.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with the notion that Helen and Katie are alike. I could not stand Helen she was a vicious nasty piece of work in the house and I have not seen that from Katie. The only person I have seen her being unpleasant to is Perez who frankly deserves all he gets because he is a moron and is constantly making life unbearable in that house. I think it would be worse if Perez was popular because that behaviour should not be rewarded.

I've said from the word go that Katie H is effectively a marginally better spoken Helen Wood. They are exactly the same.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said from the word go that Katie H is effectively a marginally better spoken Helen Wood. They are exactly the same.

Agree:) and Hopkins will win too.>:(
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely.

I rest my case.

Brilliant post.

People seem to conveniently forget that Rachel spoke her mind plenty in order to perpetuate the "fence sitter" nonsense. She just didn't scream and shout her opinion, or feel the need to be nasty to get it across (despite having a lot of nastiness levelled at her in there).

She's a perfect example of a strong, intelligent woman. It bemuses me when people use those terms to describe people like Katie H and Helen, who are the utter opposite of that. An intelligent woman can speak her mind without being cruel, a strong woman can retain her decency even when being on the receiving end of unwarranted hostility.

Hopkins and Wood are neither strong nor intelligent. They're just horrid.

Great posts. I miss the old days of Big Brother. Channels 5's Big Brother has bought along the worst type's of people. People who are in to shows like TOWIE, Made in Chelsea and Jordie Shore watch Big Brother now.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe for a second that the people who say Helen and Katie are nothing alike truly believe this. People just don't want to admit thay they are hypocrites for being against someone like Helen and in favour of someone like Katie.

They are very similar people, both of them are not nice people at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member

How she is with Perez, is how she treats people she dislikes in person who don't whistle to her tune, or have a northern regional accent. I've seen it unfortunately. She is being herself
  • Options
    KabiraKabira Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree and Helen and Ash are backing Katie Hopkins. They both love her.
  • Options
    Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Remember when Josie won, and her fellow finalists were so boring, after BB culled all her competition?
    I'm worried that BB will ensure KH will be in the final with Kav, Calum, and Michelle....so that her win is guaranteed.
  • Options
    scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree, I find myself watching Bb out of habit now but the popularity of these unpleasant people puts me off greatly. I'm thinking this will be the last one for me.

At least before you could say the good people usually did well, you can't even say that now.