Options

Sheena

Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought Sheena gave the best performance of the night ( even though I'm supporting Lucy)

1) Surprised she is not in final 4

2) Surprised there is not more of an outcry on here.

Maybe she was too professional for people to like her.

Comments

• Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked her as well and think it's a a shame she's not in the final. I enjoyed her performance last night, but it wasn't really right for the show. I didn't think she would ever win being an attractive and confident young woman. I said this in another thread, but I actually believe she could carve out a career as a vocalist on club tracks.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had no soul. It was all how much she could screech without a feel for the song. Personally I found her overconfident and, while her car crash wasn't mentioned for a change, they brought up her dad passing away instead. I don't think she connected with the public and likely caused some damage to ears and cats. The song choice was wrong too. More humble, less screaming and a better song and she'd have been through as technically she was good. There's not an outcry because she wasn't as popular as Karis who should have gone through but likely didn't due to a lack of connection too. Sasha is a stunning looking young woman and she got votes so it's not that people only vote if you're unattractive or a good looking male.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe she affects ears differently?:D

A few big notes are great... but she overdid it massively IMO and it irritated as opposed to impressed. She was the one act I had to mute as her voice just grated in the end (and I usually like powerful female singers).
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there were a couple of principal reasons she didn't get through

1) Her performance was a bit shouty and dated

2) The public didn't warm to her personally

To me Stevie is also a bit shouty and dated but had more charm personally. That said I actually enjoyed all the performances last night, nobody was really dire just some better than others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had no soul. It was all how much she could screech without a feel for the song. Personally I found her overconfident and, while her car crash wasn't mentioned for a change, they brought up her dad passing away instead. I don't think she connected with the public and likely caused some damage to ears and cats. The song choice was wrong too. More humble, less screaming and a better song and she'd have been through as technically she was good. There's not an outcry because she wasn't as popular as Karis who should have gone through but likely didn't due to a lack of connection too. Sasha is a stunning looking young woman and she got votes so it's not that people only vote if you're unattractive or a good looking male.

I don't doubt that Sasha is genuinely humble (and I like her as well), but I don't see why any woman should have to "act" humble to get ahead. Also, it would have been the producers decision to bring up Sheena's car crash and father more than once. I think Sheena was determined and self-confident, which is sometimes taken the wrong way. I do agree that she was a bit OTT with her vocals at times.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was brilliant if screeching appeals to you.

I thought she was pretty dire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    I don't doubt that Sasha is genuinely humble (and I like her as well), but I don't see why any woman should have to "act" humble to get ahead. Also, it would have been the producers decision to bring up Sheena's car crash and father more than once. I think Sheena was determined and self-confident, which is sometimes taken the wrong way. I do agree that she was a bit OTT with her vocals at times.

I don't think you should put on an act otherwise Sasha would have given up on the constant crying that annoyed people and acted differently but Sheena came across as thinking she was better than she actually was. She didn't allow Will to even hear her extra notes she was adding in the show. Yes I know we are manipulated by producers and the car crash and dead dad was there as a sob story but surely someone in producer land should know those manipulations grate rather than make people vote. She didn't connect with the songs or the public really instead preferring to show how high she could scream. I'm not sure my cat will ever recover ;-).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's fair to say that both Stevie and Emmanuel are humble too, I don't think it's a male vs female thing here. Actually out of all the semi-finalists Sheena was really the only one who had arrogant undertones.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that sheena was terrible and I'm glad that she didn't get through. Dated is exactly the word that I used to describe her, power ballads of the eighties and nineties are her style and they were bad enough the first time around!
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that sheena was terrible and I'm glad that she didn't get through. Dated is exactly the word that I used to describe her, power ballads of the eighties and nineties are her style and they were bad enough the first time around!

Spot on my friend.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the dated but Stevie is dated too. He's very 80s soft rock bad dancing dad at a wedding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's interesting because for her blind audition she chose a very contemporary song (Drake's Hold On, We're Coming Home), but after that her performances and styling did become a little dated. I don't know if that was her decision or Will's, as he seemed to really like her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with the dated but Stevie is dated too. He's very 80s soft rock bad dancing dad at a wedding.

Ricky + Stevie + Emmanuel group performance = stag night karaoke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting because for her blind audition she chose a very contemporary song (Drake's Hold On, We're Coming Home), but after that her performances and styling did become a little dated. I don't know if that was her decision or Will's, as he seemed to really like her.

I think Will did a number on both her and Vikesh style wise for the sake of variety across the show.
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    She just shouted. Can't stand shouty women singers. Hurts my ears. They don't understand between power and shouting. You have to know when to use it and when to be gentle - she didn't understand the emotion in a song and you need to feel the words. She just shouted her way through every song without understanding a single word of what she was singing. She needs to listen to Sasha to show her how to sing but I doubt Sheena the warrior princess would listen to anybody.
  • Options
    ruby-tuesdayruby-tuesday Posts: 8,470
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »
    Maybe she affects ears differently?:D

A few big notes are great... but she overdid it massively IMO and it irritated as opposed to impressed. She was the one act I had to mute as her voice just grated in the end (and I usually like powerful female singers).

yes, me too, Sheena reminded me a lot of Christina Marie in the way she sang, I don't like powerful female singers at all but, for me, Lucy is an example of a female with a strong voice who doesn't shout or screech
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you should put on an act otherwise Sasha would have given up on the constant crying that annoyed people and acted differently but Sheena came across as thinking she was better than she actually was. She didn't allow Will to even hear her extra notes she was adding in the show. Yes I know we are manipulated by producers and the car crash and dead dad was there as a sob story but surely someone in producer land should know those manipulations grate rather than make people vote. She didn't connect with the songs or the public really instead preferring to show how high she could scream. I'm not sure my cat will ever recover ;-).

She didn't go full on because she didn't want to risk straining herself before the performance, it isn't easy hitting those high notes unless you naturally have an insane range like Freddie Mercury and surprise surprise there are very few people like that. Yes she did over do the high notes sometimes and did get a bit shouty occasionally but I felt she kept the balance between power and shouty about right on the whole. Her big mistake was to chose a disco track rather than something which showed her power and range which is why she is so popular. Also it wouldn't matter how much they played up the sob story people would find reasons to hate - simple as.
  • Options
    cottonlawncottonlawn Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    She came across as rather a cold person. Obviously I don't know her, she might a lovely warm person but I think that is how the public saw her.
  • Options
    zonazona Posts: 179
    Forum Member

Amen again.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Very dated, and These female loud shouty singers are 10 a penny across all these singing competitions. She had no light or shade in her voice, she appeared to have two settings,normal and EXTREMELY LOUD
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what has been said about Sheena's dated style - but nonetheless, she has a good strong voice which just needs control. She is probably cruise-ship material.

Last night, I thought she started off quite well up until she got to the end which descended into the usual screech. Even Will said afterwards she was "screaming for a miracle".
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    I think Will did a number on both her and Vikesh style wise for the sake of variety across the show.

Mmm, I think that you're right about Vikesh, he gradually went downhill (performance wise), a soon as Will decide to put him in the "camp disco" category. His singing was much better when he chose the type of song that suited him.
  • Options
    davversdavvers Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Very dated, and These female loud shouty singers are 10 a penny across all these singing competitions. She had no light or shade in her voice, she appeared to have two settings,normal and EXTREMELY LOUD

Quite right......this shouty trend extends to presenters as well . Do they really think we are all deaf out here ?