Options

We Need Answers - BBC4 dumbs down a bit...

KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...and keeps going down past "stupid in the extreme"!

Completely daft. Not particularly funny, nor clever.

Sort of a "numberwang" quality quiz show.

Can't believe I'm still talking about it.

Stop me someone, please.

K

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    OMG, won't somebody think of the Children?!

I didn't think it was that bad, although the novelty will probably wear off by the end of the third episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    just catching this now.

I can't help thinking they've taken a nice idea from The Edinburgh Fringe and turned it into some kind of freakish and odd television show.

Alex Horne is the only person i find even the slightest bit funny on this show.
  • Options
    radishradish Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched an episode - wow, what a pile of cack! Just seems like the type of stuff the smug "comedians" can add to their CV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How strange! I loved it!

It was silly and sweet - what's not to like?

Ah well, each to their own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it too. Wasn't particuarly original but it was just a half hour of sillyness. I watched it on iplayer so maybe the critics on this thread weren't in the right mood but I enjoyed it.

It was clearly low budget and I would like to see a full series. Not sure how long it would last before becoming repetitive but I think the criticisms were harsh.

Edit: Didn't realise there were two others. Will watch them, then say if it has longevity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched 3 episodes and I quite like it, though they do repeat the same jokes for each episode. It would be a bit much to be in the audience if they filmed 6 episodes on one day...
    But, generally it's just a bit of fun and I'll continue to watch it, on VOD...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Mark Watson's Radio 4 shows, and this feels like a radio show that's been unsuccessfully ported to TV. In particular, it looks like a kids tv show.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I thought it was OK, actually. Not great, especially Mark Watson (who I do like), but certainly not worthy angry thread-worthy.

I'd rather watch a silly, irreverent, hit-and-miss quiz show than mind numbingly tedious one (*cough* Only Connect *end cough*).
  • Options
    radishradish Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'll give it another go - I was pretty tired when I watched it :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're trying to replicate that irreverent, almost surreal comedy style; almost a homage to Reeves and Mortimer.

Having said that, don't think I mean it worked, but that feels like the intention to me. Certainly putting it on BBC4 seems a bit odd; yes BBC4 is seen as a bit stuffy and uptight, which is clearly not what this show is aiming at, but it wouldn't really work on BBC3, and although it would fit well on BBC2, it far too rough around the edges to be cool enough for such a mainstream (cult) audience.

I'd like to think that this series is more of a pilot for them, and from the reactions they'll improve the show rather than simply scrapping it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I've seen three shows, and I can't help thinking that Mark Watson seems completely extraneous to proceedings. He doesn't seem to do much that Alex Horne couldn't do in introducing rounds, while Tim Key's way funnier than him and does the lion's share of contestant interaction.

I think Tim Key is the best thing in it - but even then there's something a little bit trying-too-hard-to-be-surreal about him and the show in general. Its fun enough, though.

Oh - and I distinctly recall seeing Mark Watson on other shows - and doing stand-up - where he was speaking with an out-and-out full-on Welsh accent. It seems to have disappeared...
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    zoezee wrote: »
    Oh - and I distinctly recall seeing Mark Watson on other shows - and doing stand-up - where he was speaking with an out-and-out full-on Welsh accent. It seems to have disappeared...
    He affects a Welsh accent (his family is Welsh) for comedic effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's from Bristol originally, and like I said earlier, his radio show (and stand up performances) are very funny. If he's not funny on this (and I agree he's a bit surpluss to requirement), its probably just because of the structure of the show.