Liability insurance for facepainting if it's for free?

ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering would I need liability insurance for doing facepainting on some kids if I wasn't charging? Was going to do it for a relative's birthday party but they said best not if I don't have insurance.

Comments

• gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IANAL, but my layman's understanding from a recent similar experience is that if something is done purely as a 'recreational' thing i.e. even though it's free, you're not promoting a or touting for business or anything like that, and you're using products you reasonably believe to be safe for the job, i.e. not house paint, then it's at the kids/ parents own risk. I had a similar concern when I did balloon modelling at my son's party, what with latex allergies or a balloon bursting and taking a kid's eye out or something. The above advice is what all the relevant web based advice I found suggested. Basically, as long as you know what you're doing and exercise safe practises, there should be no grounds for action against you should someone have an allergic reaction, for e.g.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres always someone who's allergic to something so in todays world its probably better off to be insured to the hilt or say f-it and leave it well alone with todays ambulance chasing lawyers and they wonder where all the little social events that kept local life running have gone
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Can you not cover yourself by having a sign basically saying, It is up to parents to make sure they do not allow their child to be painted if they think they may have a reaction?

Or is that not suitable in this instance?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds ridiculous, all this.

But how about having the parents sign some kind of waiver
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds ridiculous, all this.

But how about having the parents sign some kind of waiver

Totally agree. Parents need to take responsibility for their own kids, and as long as you tell them its at their risk, go ahead.

This American "sue happy" culture just does my head in. People are getting frightened to fart in the street in case someone sues them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sad people need to think of these things now.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    How sad people need to think of these things now.

Was just thinking the same thing...WTF has gone wrong with the world?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowdays, I wouldn't be surprised if you have to get CRB checked too.