Options

Could riots happen again?

Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
Forum Member
There seems to be a bit of agro in the air regarding the verdict to do with Mark Duggan. (think I spelt that right).

Do you think it will escalate to riots again even though his family called for calm.

Comments

• Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a bit of agro in the air regarding the verdict to do with Mark Duggan. (think I spelt that right).

Do you think it will escalate to riots again even though his family called for calm.

By thick scum of the earth you mean? most of the idiots did not even know why they were rioting for last time, the prison sentences last time will make them think twice.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's any form of rioting it will be in order to loot.
    Opportunist scumbags may try and use this situation to their advantage when attempting to steal a new pair of trainers.
    In my opinion it be entirely fuelled by greed and not anger.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I think its disgusting that in this day and age, people think it's ok to riot (steal) just because they don't agree with the court verdict. And the police are partially at fault with all this "touchy feely, lets not upset people" if the rioting starts break out the tear gas and water cannons and finish it quick. Lets not have a repeat of last time, where the police (for whatever reason) stood around and watched shops and business, burn to the ground.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    It's too cold and miserable and also term time
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Boris wants to let police use water cannons from this summer, so at least they'll be more prepared
    http://news.sky.com/story/1192141/boris-wants-water-cannon-for-londons-streets
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the rioters will jump at an excuse to kick off again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    It's too cold and miserable and also term time

That's probably true. :D
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'community' is most likely waiting for the weekend when the stores are fully stocked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we may get trouble at somepoint over the governments 'austerity cuts' and the fact that they only make the poor suffer, the rich don't suffer. Also the treatment of people on benefits is a concern.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The gathering seems to be on Saturday at Tottenham nick, and that can only be to incite trouble.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not the riots in Manchester where I live were crazy they trashed the city centre so bad
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sooner or later the idiots will do it again.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a large crowd outside the police station in Tottenham last night after 10ish... but nothing happened it seems.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Summer is the best time for riots. The hotter it is, the higher the crime levels.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly I think it's very remiss of a jury to come to a decision that is the exact opposite of what the wholly unbiased Duggan family would have preferred.
  • Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow I feel we won't see riots regarding this. Hope I am right.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    The MASSIVE sentences the riot perpatrators got in 2011 may serve to diminsh any repeat of that.
  • Options
    Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far too miserable weather to riot.They will probably wait until Springtime.

Seriously,I think that some of the instant justice handed down to the perps of the last riot will scare the bejeezus out of most of them doing it again.And I'm sure that it could not be like anything on that scale because the police and other authorities are ready and waiting with their fingers poised on the water cannon trigger.

Just curious,but why do news reports always mention the use of 'water cannon' instead of cannons? Even if there were a hundred cannons,it would still be referred to in the singular.It never sounds right to me.:confused:
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None so far which goes to show it was not about Duggan last time they just used it as an excuse. Also its too cold they prefer to burn down peoples houses and businesses and attack others when its warm , also being so close to Christmas they probably have what they need and are not interested in looting sales goods.
    Far too miserable weather to riot.They will probably wait until Springtime.

Seriously,I think that some of the instant justice handed down to the perps of the last riot will scare the bejeezus out of most of them doing it again.And I'm sure that it could not be like anything on that scale because the police and other authorities are ready and waiting with their fingers poised on the water cannon trigger.

Just curious,but why do news reports always mention the use of 'water cannon' instead of cannons? Even if there were a hundred cannons,it would still be referred to in the singular.It never sounds right to me.:confused:

Cannon is like sheep, the singular and plural are the same . But in American English the plural is cannons
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    If it's over that Duggan thug, then the country really has gone to the dogs. Bunch of idiots the lot of them. Hopefully the police will be more well armed with bigger bullets this time around.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    if it does i know i am ready for them this time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    If it's over that Duggan thug, then the country really has gone to the dogs.

No, for most that was just the excuse they used
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they use an actor for the phone call on Radio 4 this morning? That surely didn't sound like his aunt!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    There are enough lawless scumbags in this country, for anything to kick off at the drop of a hoodie, so yes.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    if it does i know i am ready for them this time
    What plan have you got in mind? (Serious question).

As someone who was terrified in the last one, by fires being set everwhere etc, I would welcome any sensible advice if it were to happen again.