Famous people with failed soap auditions

Comments

• NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daniella Westbrook auditioned for Natalie Buxton in Bad Girls which was later given to Dannielle Brent.

I dont think she auditioned, I am pretty sure that the character was written with her in mind and they wanted her to play it but Danniella was still having reconstructive surgery on her nose.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 7 years ago michelle keegan auditioned for hollyoaks and when she got there they were looking for a black woman haha

/dead
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Kellie Bright nearly won Tanya, now won Linda Carter.
    That's an imteresting one! Imagine her as Tanya
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Charlie Brooks who played Janine in Eastenders auditioned to play Leanne Battersby in Corrie, losing out to Jane Danson,

This one I heard was the other way round 'cos they both came from that BBC kids show "Out of Tune" where Jane was the lead character and they both got asked to audition for Janine.

Weirdly, those characters were very similar in the beginning.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    Orlando Bloom was being lined up to star in EastEnders some time around 2000. He was due to play a long lost relative of Pat (I read he was to play her son but other reports just stated "relative") but producers changed the storyline and he was dropped. A year later, he got his big break in Lord of the Rings. To think, he could be an ex-EE star doing Dancing on Ice or CBB now rather than starring in Hollywood blockbusters.

I've heard this as well. However I always believed that he was going to play a love interest for Zoe Slater and was dropped because Michelle Ryan became ill and had to take time off so the whole storyline didn't happen.

I assume it must have been reported in the press at some point.
  • greygrey Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Yes, she played Eve in 2010-11.

Lisa Stansfield revealed that she was offered a part in Corrie around 3 years ago. She delined as it would have meant no time at all for music, not even gigs. She refrained from stating which character as the actress who took the role is still there. I have the feeling that Lisa was offered the part of Stella.

There won't be many (or any other) actresses who came into Corrie 3 years ago and are still there
    Isn't Lisa a bit young to play Leanne's mother?
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    grey wrote: »
    There won't be many (or any other) actresses who came into Corrie 3 years ago and are still there

She'd have to play a couple of years older but it is possible. Leanne was born ;July 81 I think and Stanfield is April 66 so 15 years older. They only needed to age her by a year to make it legal and indeed I think Stella as played by Collins was only supposed to be 19 or 20 when she had her.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Patsy Kensit auditioned for the part of Chrissie Watts but lost out to Tracy Ann Oberman.
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not a soap, but Grange Hill where Clare Buckfield had auditioned for the part of Natalie, which was given to her twin sister Julie, who in turn had audtioned for the part of Chrissie.

seemingly the producers must have liked Clare as they decided the character of Natalie would have a twin in the show too!
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard this as well. However I always believed that he was going to play a love interest for Zoe Slater and was dropped because Michelle Ryan became ill and had to take time off so the whole storyline didn't happen.

I assume it must have been reported in the press at some point.

I remember reading it in the papers but the only thing I can find about it now is on here.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news-article/bloom-rescued-from-tv-soap

It says he was due to join the show in 2000 which was in the midst of the whole Pat and Frank affair storyline so I'm not sure where he would have fitted in. Zoe didn't arrive until late 2000 and I'm pretty sure she was onscreen almost continually until 2002 when she had to take time off because of illness.
  • KB1984KB1984 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Apparently she also beat Cheryl Baker and Joanna Lumley to the role of Chrissy :)
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Bunton auditioned for Bianca EE.
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive also heard brook kinsella auditioned for sonia jackson imo both her and emma bunton would have been more suited as they are very prettyand blonde like lindsey coulson.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Eastenders - Matt Willis auditioned to be a Moon brother but is now going to be playing Stacey's boyfriend.

Matt would have been much better than whom they actually cast!
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill Gascoine was cast as Glenda in EE but after a day or so filming she pulled out.
    Forum Member
    D.DotA wrote: »
    Jill Gascoine was cast as Glenda in EE but after a day or so filming she pulled out.

To be replaced by a woman old enough to be her daughter. Glynis Barber being 18 years Gascoigne's junior. :)
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i read it was the stella role that lisa stansfield auditioned for

Interesting to see this confirmed.
    grey wrote: »

Yes in a way, as Jane Danson was born in 1978 and Lisa in 1966. Mind you, in Emmerdale Amy and mum Kerry are/were played by actresses born in 1991 and 1983 respectively so stranger things have happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Val Lehman originally auditioned for the role of Prison officer Vera Bennett in Prisoner Cell Block H but didn't get the part, it instead went to Fiona Spence and Val Lehman was instead offered the role of inmate Bea Smith.

Maggie Kirkpatrick also auditioned for the the role of Vera Bennett but didn't get the role, a few years later she was instead cast as Joan 'The Freak' Ferguson.

Janet Andrewartha became best known as playing Reb Keane in Prisoner but she originally auditioned for the part of inmate Bobbie Mitchell.

Maggie Kirkpatrick (The Freak), Carol Skinner (Nole McKenzie) and Betty Bobbitt (Judy Bryant) all originally auditioned for the part of Bea Smith in Prisoner.

Collette Mann's original audition was for the part of Lynn Warner but she was considered to be more suited to the role of Doreen.

Billy Hammerberg ended up playing Barnhurst transferee May Collins but she originally auditioned for the part of the evil Nola McKenzie.
    Forum Member
    Neighbours

Jason Donovan originally auditioned for the part of Danny Ramsey.

Annie Jones originally auditioned for the role of Charlene in Neighbours, of course that part famously went to Kylie Minogue and instead Jones landed the role of Jane Harris - granddaughter to the dreaded Mrs Mangle.

Stefan Dennis originally auditioned for the role of Shane Ramsey but it was felt he was better suited to the part of Paul Robinson.

For the part of Brett Stark in Neighbours casting sessions were held with auditionees required to look geeky. Brett Blewitt went on to receive the role but actor Ryan Moloney who now plays Toadie Rebecchi originally auditioned for the role but did not meet the requirements.Jesse Spencer, who would later go on to play Billy Kennedy also auditioned for the role and reached the last three but was turned down due to being too young for the role.

James Mason was offered the role of Chris Pappas just 3 days after he unsuccessfully auditioned for the part of Andrew Robinson.

Australian comedian Peter Moon also auditioned for the part of Harold Bishop but was beaten to the role by Ian Smith.
    Forum Member
    Home and Away

Carol Willesee was initially hired as Pippa Fletcher but when filming began contract negotiations broke down and her scenes were re-filmed with Vanessa Downing in the role. Vanessa was brought in at very short notice. Debra Lawrence eventually took over the role a few years later.

Ray Meagher is famed for playing Alf Stewart but he originally auditioned for the part of Tom Fletcher.

Dannii Minogue auditioned for the role of Marilyn, but she was given the role of Emma Jackson and Emily Symons was cast instead.

In 1987, Justine Clarke auditioned for the roles of Carly Morris, Lynn Davenport and Bobby Simpson; but was unsuccessful each time, she was eventually cast as Roo Stewart.
    Forum Member
    Read yesterday that the role of Nick Cotton in EE was originally offered to Gary Holton (Wayne from Auf Pet) who turned it down and recommended his friend John Altman :)
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Patsy Kensit auditioned for the part of Chrissie Watts but lost out to Tracy Ann Oberman.

I'm amazed she never popped up in EE at some point actually.
  • grangehilllovergrangehilllover Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Taylforth auditioned for Sue Osman, but she got the part of Kathy Beale, despite producers thinking she was too young
  • SS_SummerSS_Summer Posts: 2,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Jeff Hordley auditioned for the part of Carlos the chef in Emmerdale before getting Cain Dingle.

Wow, so glad things went the way they did there. Can't imagine Emmerdale without Cain as he is!
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    I think it was for a black character. Possibly Sacha valentine. Didn't they realise Michelle isn't black? Orange maybe but not black! :D
    It was Tina McQueen. I think they said she looked too similar to Mercedes, they wanted the family to all be very individual.