Android newbe

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi. I have a samsung tab 3, and have a couple of questions.
Im new to android having only ever had an ipad, so I please excuse my ignorance.

I've installed an sd card, but it seems to be loaded with loads of empty folders within a folder called Data. I didn't create these folders so can I delete them?

My second question: in settings/application manager, when I select the Downloaded button, it lists all my apps (which is fine), but when I select the sd card button, it lists the apps too. This is confusing because all of my apps are on my device not the empty sd card, so why are my apps listed when I select sd card?

Thanks for any explination.

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    5hane wrote: »
    Hi. I have a samsung tab 3, and have a couple of questions.
    Im new to android having only ever had an ipad, so I please excuse my ignorance.

I've installed an sd card, but it seems to be loaded with loads of empty folders within a folder called Data. I didn't create these folders so can I delete them?

My second question: in settings/application manager, when I select the Downloaded button, it lists all my apps (which is fine), but when I select the sd card button, it lists the apps too. This is confusing because all of my apps are on my device not the empty sd card, so why are my apps listed when I select sd card?

Thanks for any explination.

Some apps create folders on the SD card as temporary storage so as not to use up the internal memory.

Often those apps will clear out temporary files themselves.

if you delete them you will just find the next time you run an app it will create the folder again on the SD card, so just leave them there.
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some apps create folders on the SD card as temporary storage so as not to use up the internal memory.

Often those apps will clear out temporary files themselves.

if you delete them you will just find the next time you run an app it will create the folder again on the SD card, so just leave them there.

Thanks Rodney. I guess thats why they are also listed under SD Card in the Applications Manager.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I have more questions, this time regarding Cloud.

First off, what Cloud service is this? Obviously iCloud is Apple, so what is Cloud?

Secondly, what sort of data is being backed up? I see no option to backup apps, well except for an app called drop box. It just isnt very clear what is being backed up. I dont even kmow if its backing up my files, like iCloud did.

lastly, how do I access whatever is being backed up to the Cloud, should I lose my tablet?

Thank you
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I have more questions, this time regarding Cloud.

First off, what Cloud service is this? Obviously iCloud is Apple, so what is Cloud?

Secondly, what sort of data is being backed up? I see no option to backup apps, well except for an app called drop box. It just isnt very clear what is being backed up. I dont even kmow if its backing up my files, like iCloud did.

lastly, how do I access whatever is being backed up to the Cloud, should I lose my tablet?

Thank you

Cloud is a Samsung product and you will need to setup an account to use it then you can select what you want to back up to it.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000548/9600/107692/SCH-I925EAAUSC&sa=U&ei=NjzqU9f7EKKu7AaO3oEY&ved=0CCYQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGklwiwLgJjrzN__3ioNULb3MC7KQ

Dropbox is an application that allows to to share documents, pictures etc. across multiple devices, you will need to setup an account. For example you can automatically upload photos you take to Dropbox and then access them on your PC or other devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloud is a Samsung product and you will need to setup an account to use it then you can select what you want to back up to it.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000548/9600/107692/SCH-I925EAAUSC&sa=U&ei=NjzqU9f7EKKu7AaO3oEY&ved=0CCYQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGklwiwLgJjrzN__3ioNULb3MC7KQ

Dropbox is an application that allows to to share documents, pictures etc. across multiple devices, you will need to setup an account. For example you can automatically upload photos you take to Dropbox and then access them on your PC or other devices.

Hi again.
    I already have a samsung account, and have got Cloud setup, but the only options are:
    •Auto backup
    •Wallpaper
    Auto backup sounds vague, so no idea what is backed up, and I don't really care about wallpaper.
    There are 2 more options (priority senders email addresses and spam addresses), but they are greyed out, so can't do much with those anyway.
    So I have no idea what is actually backed up to the Cloud.

There is another section in settings called Backup and Restor, where I can tick a box that allows back up of data including apps to google servers, but nothing about Samsung Cloud.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god - this all sounds so complicated!
    I'm also thinking of changing from iPad to the new Samsung tablet. What made you change?
    I've always been an avid apple fan but am much more impressed with Android since getting an Android phone! I got soooo bored of iPhones but it's come as a shock that I prefer a rival system after years of Appledom!
    Do you like your new tab in spite of these issues? Do you notice any improvement to your iPad?
    Forum Member
    Hi again.
    I already have a samsung account, and have got Cloud setup, but the only options are:
    •Auto backup
    •Wallpaper
    Auto backup sounds vague, so no idea what is backed up, and I don't really care about wallpaper.
    There are 2 more options (priority senders email addresses and spam addresses), but they are greyed out, so can't do much with those anyway.
    So I have no idea what is actually backed up to the Cloud.

There is another section in settings called Backup and Restor, where I can tick a box that allows back up of data including apps to google servers, but nothing about Samsung Cloud.

That is because Android has a backup facility built in, the Samsung thing is just their own app.

If you go into settings and select from the accounts list Google, you will see your account and it will say last synced on.........

Select your account and you will see a long list of things you can auto sync like contacts, app data, calendar and so on. There is an option to force a backup there and then as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is because Android has a backup facility built in, the Samsung thing is just their own app.

If you go into settings and select from the accounts list Google, you will see your account and it will say last synced on.........

Select your account and you will see a long list of things you can auto sync like contacts, app data, calendar and so on. There is an option to force a backup there and then as well.

Ok, thanks again. I think I'm getting my head around it all.
    I just visited google/dashboard on the Web, and it seems most stuff is backed up there, so I guess one way or another most stuff is backed up even if its complicated.
    I just have to trust my stuff is safe in some place or other.
    Forum Member
    Ok, thanks again. I think I'm getting my head around it all.
    I just visited google/dashboard on the Web, and it seems most stuff is backed up there, so I guess one way or another most stuff is backed up even if its complicated.
    I just have to trust my stuff is safe in some place or other.

If you ever have to wipe your device, when you run the setup again it gives you the option to restore from your backup, so it's not that difficult.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Oh god - this all sounds so complicated!
    I'm also thinking of changing from iPad to the new Samsung tablet. What made you change?
    I've always been an avid apple fan but am much more impressed with Android since getting an Android phone! I got soooo bored of iPhones but it's come as a shock that I prefer a rival system after years of Appledom!
    Do you like your new tab in spite of these issues? Do you notice any improvement to your iPad?

Hi allie

Im probably making things more complicated than they should be, so dont read too much into my Cloud confusion.

sadly my iPad and iPhone were stolen last month. I say "sadly", but I experienced a slight feeling of being free when they went. Itunes drove me crazy for starters... no one completely understands itunes lol, and just like itunes, everything about the ipad and iPhone felt all on Apples terms with little flexibility.
    Despite my confusion with this Cloud business i am loving my samsung tab 3. I so missed having control over my files and folders. I can also plug in an sd card. This thing cost 3x less than the ipad and I prefer it. I feel like I have a PC in the palm of my hands.
    I did consider ghe Nexus 7, but wanted a larger screen. Yes the Tab3 is smaller than my old ipad retina, but that makes it more mobile. Has a good camera too.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi allie

Im probably making things more complicated than they should be, so dont read too much into my Cloud confusion.

sadly my iPad and iPhone were stolen last month. I say "sadly", but I experienced a slight feeling of being free when they went. Itunes drove me crazy for starters... no one completely understands itunes lol, and just like itunes, everything about the ipad and iPhone felt all on Apples terms with little flexibility.
    Despite my confusion with this Cloud business i am loving my samsung tab 3. I so missed having control over my files and folders. I can also plug in an sd card. This thing cost 3x less than the ipad and I prefer it. I feel like I have a PC in the palm of my hands.
    I did consider ghe Nexus 7, but wanted a larger screen. Yes the Tab3 is smaller than my old ipad retina, but that makes it more mobile. Has a good camera too.
    Hi,5hane!
    I didn't have my Apple stuff nicked but my reasons for going Android are similar to yours I think. I've got a Nexus 7 (as well as my ipad air:blush::blush::blush:) and I love it but as you say, the screen is v small and not very clear to my ancient eyes! I saw a Samsung s tab and fell in love with the absolutely crystal clear screen. Think I've got a Techy type disease!!! I just can't resist the latest phones, tabs etc even if I can't afford them. Trouble is I'm not actually technically gifted!
    Would you consider going back to Apple? After years of dedication, I'm off them atm and don't think I'll be tempted back to having an iPhone again!
    Thanks for taking the trouble to answer my questions!!!:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Hi,5hane!
    I didn't have my Apple stuff nicked but my reasons for going Android are similar to yours I think. I've got a Nexus 7 (as well as my ipad air:blush::blush::blush:) and I love it but as you say, the screen is v small and not very clear to my ancient eyes! I saw a Samsung s tab and fell in love with the absolutely crystal clear screen. Think I've got a Techy type disease!!! I just can't resist the latest phones, tabs etc even if I can't afford them. Trouble is I'm not actually technically gifted!
    Would you consider going back to Apple? After years of dedication, I'm off them atm and don't think I'll be tempted back to having an iPhone again!
    Thanks for taking the trouble to answer my questions!!!:):)

I suppose if my iPad were recovered, I may use it again from time fo time, but I genuinely feel that having found my way around android, the iPad would just be backup.

You might laugh but the phone im temporarily using in place of my old iPhone is a nokia Asha (part touch screen part keypad). Its very dated, but OMG, I forgot how great it is to be able to text quickly and have a phone that will stay charged for 4 days. I swear my iPhone owned me rather than the other way round. Im now sticking with the Nokia :)

What were cheap temporary replacements for my stolen iPhone and iPad, are now my permanent gadgets of choice :)