Options

Is SKYHD worth getting with 37" TV??

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    As with beauty, HD is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amilo wrote: »
    I won't notice much difference on a 37"TV!

There's a lot of subjectivity here.

It depends on your eyesight for one thing. There is one person in my household who regularly watches TV without her glasses on. She may as well be watching an old fashioned 26 inch CRT !

Some people simply "don't get" HD (or take any interest in PQ whatsoever). I'm guessing that, as you are posting in an on line forum, this won't apply to you. You're probably a gadget nut (like most of us here !).

You didn't mention "worth it" (at least not in financial terms) but everyone places a different "value" on £10 per month. Some people think that it is a lot of money, others less so.

And finally ...

As everyone says, its not the size of the screen that matters, but the screen size to viewing distance ratio. To get the full benefit of HD you will probably have to sit a fair bit closer to your screen than you are accustomed to. If you make this change then I don't see why you shouldn't notice a fairly pronounced improvement with HD.

You didn't mention your TV model no. Is it "HD Ready" or "Full HD" (i.e. 768 lines or 1080 lines). There will be a more noticeably improvement if it is the latter.

Regards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but besides resolution, the bitrate used to send the channels is vastly increased so there's absolutely no doubt that you will notice a difference in picture quality unless sitting a long long distance from the TV. Sounds like people are jealous ur gettin HD ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I can notice HD material on the kids 22" LCD's.

I have a 37" with SkyHD and it's excellent on that.

The difference is like night and day to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    It's not just the TV / projectors but the accessories for these gadgets. While the home cinema is a fab, the additions of proper cinema seats, dimmed lighting and automatic electric curtains are as essential as the gadget itself. Electric closing curtains via remote seem to be in big demand at the moment. Available from http://www.electriccurtainrailstracks.co.uk. with a draw dropping 35% discount. Worth a look.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a new 32" W5500 Sony and it looks amazing.

I was sitting about 7 to 8ft away and it was excellent.

I have now rearranged a few things and I am now between 4 or 5ft away which I believe for a 32" is about the best distance:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    surley it depends on the contrast of a tv? If u have a 720 tv, then u will see some difference but not mindblowing, but ideally a 1080i or p will have the best results, get a 1080p if u watch blu-ray etc
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gbrother wrote: »
    surley it depends on the contrast of a tv? If u have a 720 tv, then u will see some difference but not mindblowing, but ideally a 1080i or p will have the best results, get a 1080p if u watch blu-ray etc
    It's only worth getting a 1080 line TV if you sit close enough to the TV for the TV size, otherwise a 768 line TV is just as good. Indeed if they genuinely cost the same the the 768 TV may well be better quality, there is a lot more to a TV than resolution.

The ability to accept a 1080p input is an advantage for Bluray (whatever the display resolution) especially if it will display p24 properly.

The contrast spec is meaningless because they are all measured differently and even then there is more to a TV than that. The biggest difference between TVs of differing quality is how well they handle SD - HD by comparison is easy.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HD looks fantastic on our 37" LG LCD :)

The bedroom TV is a 26" Panasonic LCD, and picture quality is noticeably sharper on the HD channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    i used to have a panasonic 37" lcd, now I have a samsung 50" 720p plasma for main viewing and another samsung 42" 1080i plasma for the bedroom - all look massively different with any HD content, I think it would make a difference to nearly all flat panel sizes tbh...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Mysel fand some freinds usually have some system link partys with Xbox 360 and as such they all bring there 360`s round along with a portable TV,

on avaerage there are 6 of us with

1 x 40" Tv Mine :-)

then a mixture of TV`s and Monitors between 23" all the way down to 14" and even one poor soul who fetches his 14" SD CRT (lol)

and anyhoo,

The HD picture looks amazing on all the TV`s even the 14" looks fantastic compared to the 14" SD, with the CRT looking very 1960`s lol,

so i dont agree HD cant be seen on smaller screens as it quite obviously can be jst palce a SD set next to it and you will see the difference, now upscalling vs HD on smaller screens, well thats a diff argument.