Options

o2 iPhone insurance

dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi Guys,

I have a 3GS iPhone that was replaced late last year because of a fault with the dock connector. The same thing has happened on the replacement handset and have booked a Genius bar appointment. However looking on the Apple site it seems the new handset is no longer in warranty, it has taken the remaining warranty from the original handset...

From reading around the web, Apple will charge me £145 for a replacement handset, which I don't want to pay as the same issue has reoccurred and technically this handset should have its own year warranty.

If Apple can't or don't want to do anything about it - I'm hoping to claim on the insurance as the phone is almost unusable as the phone keeps waking itself up to tell me that the accessory I've connected isn't compatible with the iPhone (even though there is no accessory connected) which is meaning the battery is lasting half a day!

I'm on the "old" premier insurance policy (£10 per month, £25 excess) and I believe this entitles me to a guaranteed brand new replacement. Seeing as the 3GS 32Gb is no longer produced, where do I stand, do I get an iPhone 4?

Cheers for any help guys!

Nick

Comments

• Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    technically this handset should have its own year warranty.

Thats not how it works in the UK, you get a 1 year guarentee from your original purchase date, this is part of the 'sales of goods' act.

If what you said is correct then can you imagine how many products would mysteriously go faulty the day before they're 1 years old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah I see. Does anyone have any experience in claiming from the insurance?
  • Options
    Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    The terms and conditions have now changed, unfortunatly you are no longer guaranteed a brand new replacement.

The insurance only covers loss theft or accidental damage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The terms and conditions have now changed, unfortunatly you are no longer guaranteed a brand new replacement.

I was under the impression that because I'm still paying the £10 per month and I haven't had any notification to my mobile, email or letter from o2 regarding T&C's changes, that my policy is still the same as detailed in my policy documents. Could be wrong though!
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow so now you have to pay £15 a month and £100 excess for the iphone for and you won't even get a brand new replacement if you make a claim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd update this - went for my Genius Bar appointment, told the girl on the bar what the problem was, then she looked at the dock connector, found a tiny crack on the casing, and replaced the phone with a brand new unit free of charge, even though I was 65 days out of warranty.

Once again, and I can't stress this enough, well done Apple (and Julie, Lakeside branch) for absolutely fantastic customer service!