Farnborough airshow

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As if £45 per person wasnt enough to put you off, they now forecast prollonged rain and thunderstorms all weekend. Is it still worth going?

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will tell you in 8 hours ;) good forecast today fortunately, though disappointed no f35.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    As if £45 per person wasnt enough to put you off, they now forecast prollonged rain and thunderstorms all weekend. Is it still worth going?

I did see a banner ad on some website with "kidz go free" about an hour ago.

I have to say I have tickets and am feeling pretty annoyed about the weather forecast ,
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FWIW, I was following the forecast all week last week (on BBC and Met Office) and righ tup until Friday, the forecast for Saturday was showers all day, from 7am to 8pm. Aside from the lightest of light showers, it was completely and at some stages, incredibly sunny.
    I despair at the lack of accuracy around the weather forecasts.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £45? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought I got in for Saturday AND Sunday, with a grandstand seat on the Sunday, for around the £75 mark in 2012. (Not going this time - having done Waddington and RIAT, I couldn't justify putting off jobs for a third weekend).
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for that kind of money I want a ME-109 to strafe the north stand
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. Could stand outside and save my money but really want to take my 8 year old nephew to his first airshow. Pointless in the rain because the decent planes vanish in the cloud. For 45 quid the show needs to be spot on.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its worth going on a trade day if you want to see the technologies on display.

However for the general public at the weekend, I would give it a miss. The flying display is some way behind what RIAT offer, and the exhibition halls are now closed to the general public.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love this on telly with Raymond Baxter.... it don't seem to be on anymore though which is a shame.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    F35 no show, taxpayer bill 2.5 million, and we are supposed to fall for the excuse?
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Its worth going on a trade day if you want to see the technologies on display.

However for the general public at the weekend, I would give it a miss. The flying display is some way behind what RIAT offer, and the exhibition halls are now closed to the general public.

No exhibition halls either. It just keeps getting better >:(
    So what do the public gain from the price increase over previous years? I guess they have just cottoned on that we are a nation of mugs.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    F35 no show, taxpayer bill 2.5 million, and we are supposed to fall for the excuse?

To be fair, I doubt that an airshow is the right place to be conducting flight tests after the type was grounded earlier this month! ;-)
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £45 is a tad steep.

I used to get in RIAT and most other Airshows for free before i retired. :)
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    I'm working this weekend and I'm lucky in my office I have roof access which overlooks the airport so I get a great view for free. Can't wait work on the roof if it's sunny:p
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we only paid £20 each for Waddington.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    FWIW, I was following the forecast all week last week (on BBC and Met Office) and righ tup until Friday, the forecast for Saturday was showers all day, from 7am to 8pm. Aside from the lightest of light showers, it was completely and at some stages, incredibly sunny.
    I despair at the lack of accuracy around the weather forecasts.

With current technology, that's the best they can do. Weather in the UK is generally unpredictable at the best of times. I went to RAF Athan a while back and it was a real pea souper when we arrived. Later on the fog cleared and it was a most glorious sunny day, so you just never know.
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm working this weekend and I'm lucky in my office I have roof access which overlooks the airport so I get a great view for free. Can't wait work on the roof if it's sunny:p

Do you work for Infor?
    Forum Member
    ppaupy wrote: »
    Do you work for Infor?

I don't work for them directly however the company I work have got some dealings with them. I'm not allowed to say what though:)

I'm actually based in Cody Technology Park but I'll be doing stuff in the airport on the weekend
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't work for them directly however the company I work have got some dealings with them. I'm not allowed to say what though:)

I'm actually based in Cody Technology Park but I'll be doing stuff in the airport on the weekend

Ah ok...:) have a great weekend....fingers crossed it doesn't rain :)
    Forum Member
    Ah ok...:) have a great weekend....fingers crossed it doesn't rain :)

Thanks, I'm sure i won't do any work, just try and disguise it so I get paid:p

Maybe I'll stand on the roof shouting down and people will be like "It's darkthunder" lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'm sure i won't do any work, just try and disguise it so I get paid:p

LOL good plan!! I will be pleased when its all over..OH works For Infor nightmare getting home for him.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    My brother was suggesting we go to next year's airshow. From the sounds of it the price we paid for our RIAT tickets was a bargain with the weather we had. Shame we also missed out on the F-35, though.
    Forum Member
    LOL good plan!! I will be pleased when its all over..OH works For Infor nightmare getting home for him.

Haha it's alright for me as I just live the other end of Farnborough but it took me 40 mins this evening, I could have jogged home quicker lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha it's alright for me as I just live the other end of Farnborough but it took me 40 mins this evening, I could have jogged home quicker lol

LOL get a bike..:)
    Forum Member
    LOL get a bike..:)

I do have a bike but it's a nightmare to get through the security doors where I work and there is nowhere to lock it up outside.

Sometimes I jog to work, then shower and jog home. 10km jog that way lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do have a bike but it's a nightmare to get through the security doors where I work and there is nowhere to lock it up outside.

Sometimes I jog to work, then shower and jog home. 10km jog that way lol.

Good lord...Ur good...I walk to work...takes me two min...thats enough...lol