Tinned foods

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it frowned upon to eat tinned foods and yet the same frowners often have no issues with tinned chopped tomatoes?
I know its true that more and more scientists are in agreement that the metals are being transfered into the foods, but that doesn't explain why the frowners are happy to still eat tinned chopped tomatoes.

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who frowns upon it? I eat loads of tinned food, baked beans, tuna, salmon, mackerel, butter beans, mixed veg, soups, stewed steak and more. Quick, tasty and nutritious for meals at work.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of all those people who look down their noses and say 'I don't eat frozen food' yet have a well stocked freezer full of the stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of all those people who look down their noses and say 'I don't eat frozen food' yet have a well stocked freezer full of the stuff!

But who are these people? I can't say I have ever encountered anyone who looks down on people who eat frozen or tinned food. As I said, I eat lots of tinned food, but I also have 2 freezers full of different types meat, fish and veg. Why would anyone look down on someone who eats frozen food?
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But who are these people? I can't say I have ever encountered anyone who looks down on people who eat frozen or tinned food. As I said, I eat lots of tinned food, but I also have 2 freezers full of different types meat, fish and veg. Why would anyone look down on someone who eats frozen food?

It's pure snobbery, that's all. They claim to only eat fresh food, cooked from scratch and anything out of a tin or a freezer is beneath them. Yet they do eat food from the freezer and they use tins. There was even something on the telly about it the other week, they were trying to get a family to start using frozen food, and doing visual and taste tests fresh v frozen. Some of the snooty comments were unbelievable.
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard it said by many people, and yes your all right, it is pure snobbery.
    I'll tell you which snob I heard it from recently; it was that righteous **** Jamie Oliver.
    The git then went on to use tinned tomms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough. It's not something I have ever come across. Jamie's Oliver is forever using tinned, pre prepared food such as rice pouches, or frozen food, especially on his quick meal shows.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. It's not something I have ever come across. Jamie's Oliver is forever using tinned, pre prepared food such as rice pouches, or frozen food, especially on his quick meal shows.
    Each time you ask "Who are these people?" you get the answer "They're snobs" :D
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of foodies who won't eat tinned foods I think they may be the make their own pasta types (sorry if you make your own pasta and are not like that) they think they are eating more authentically than the rest of us forgetting if they went to Italy a lot of people eat dried pasta and don't make it fresh daily.
    We eat almost all tinned foods when we go camping, about to go for a fortnight and have tins ready to go. I have to admit I crave a green vegetable or two when I come back though !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each time you ask "Who are these people?" you get the answer "They're snobs" :D

Lol. I am glad I don't know any snobs then!
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, the only tinned food I really eat is chopped tomatoes, baked beans, kidney beans, chick peas and sweet corn. I'd never look down on anyone who does eat tinned food but I've never found tinned meat and that kind of thing very appetising.

I don't tend to use my freezer much either, not because I've anything against it but I just never really need it. All it generally contains is vodka, ice cream and sometimes we occasionally have fish fingers. At the moment there's some steak in there because I got a huge piece of rib-eye cheap and it sliced into about 8 steaks so that had to be frozen. Other than that my freezer rarely gets used, we don't eat ready meals and I'd rather spend an extra 10 minutes and make my own chips or potato wedges than have oven chips. We don't tend to have leftovers as if I make enough for 4 people we just eat it the following day.

Nothing against people who eat tinned and frozen though.
    molliepops wrote: »
    There are a lot of foodies who won't eat tinned foods I think they may be the make their own pasta types (sorry if you make your own pasta and are not like that) they think they are eating more authentically than the rest of us forgetting if they went to Italy a lot of people eat dried pasta and don't make it fresh daily.

What on earth does that mean? I make my own pasta, I buy penne, conchigle, fusili, macaroni etc but ravioli, tortellini, lasagna sheets, spaghetti and tagliatelle type pasta I like to make fresh. It definitely tastes better and is quite enjoyable to make. I'm certainly not a snob though, I just firmly believe food should be enjoyed and like to eat the nicest I can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    To be honest, the only tinned food I really eat is chopped tomatoes, baked beans, kidney beans, chick peas and sweet corn. I'd never look down on anyone who does eat tinned food but I've never found tinned meat and that kind of thing very appetising.

I don't tend to use my freezer much either, not because I've anything against it but I just never really need it. All it generally contains is vodka, ice cream and sometimes we occasionally have fish fingers. At the moment there's some steak in there because I got a huge piece of rib-eye cheap and it sliced into about 8 steaks so that had to be frozen. Other than that my freezer rarely gets used, we don't eat ready meals and I'd rather spend an extra 10 minutes and make my own chips or potato wedges than have oven chips. We don't tend to have leftovers as if I make enough for 4 people we just eat it the following day.

Nothing against people who eat tinned and frozen though.

What on earth does that mean? I make my own pasta, I buy penne, conchigle, fusili, macaroni etc but ravioli, tortellini, lasagna sheets, spaghetti and tagliatelle type pasta I like to make fresh. It definitely tastes better and is quite enjoyable to make. I'm certainly not a snob though, I just firmly believe food should be enjoyed and like to eat the nicest I can.

It's the people who only make their own, the ones who think dried is second best and they are better than anyone who eats dried pasta. They are around and you are obviously not one of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes buy an expensive cut of meat from the butcher or a farm shop.
    If i freeze half of it is it frozen food when I decide to use it?
    If so, I'll not be having anymore of that nonsense from my butcher!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    It's the people who only make their own, the ones who think dried is second best and they are better than anyone who eats dried pasta. They are around and you are obviously not one of them.

There are people who think that fresh pasta is best, yes, but I doubt very many of them think they are better than anyone else because of that. I think this kind of ultra-snobbery is largely a figment of some people's imaginations.
  • ZipMasonZipMason Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Who frowns upon it? I eat loads of tinned food, baked beans, tuna, salmon, mackerel, butter beans, mixed veg, soups, stewed steak and more. Quick, tasty and nutritious for meals at work.

Stewed steak is my ultimate food paradise! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZipMason wrote: »
    Stewed steak is my ultimate food paradise! :(

A tin of stewed steak mixed with a tin of mixed veg = a very quick, tasty and high protein meal at work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    There are people who think that fresh pasta is best, yes, but I doubt very many of them think they are better than anyone else because of that. I think this kind of ultra-snobbery is largely a figment of some people's imaginations.

I agree. It's a bit strange. For example I prefer fresh fish to frozen fish, however I don't think I am a better person because I prefer fresh fish. I imagine it's the same for people who prefer fresh pasta!
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the benefits of fresh pasta?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,451
    Forum Member
    Tinned food, especially fish is seen as a delicacy in other parts of the world. There are whole 'restaurants' in Spain that only sell canned fish and one has just opened in London.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tins are very useful. In the Winter for instance I only use tinned tomatoes as the ones in the shops just taste of nothing. Tinned sweetcorn is useful as are kidney beans and chickpeas. I don't eat ready meals because most of them are crap (well they taste crap to me). My freezer is always full of stuff I've made myself.
    I make pasta now and again but mostly use dried. I've never met a food "snob" who makes every single meal from scratch and who never opens a tin or uses frozen food. Frozen peas are a fantastic ingredient for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It's a bit strange. For example I prefer fresh fish to frozen fish, however I don't think I am a better person because I prefer fresh fish. I imagine it's the same for people who prefer fresh pasta!

Obviously we haven't met the same people I can remember one forum where there was uproar when I said I used dried pasta and had never made my own some real food snobs on that site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously we haven't met the same people I can remember one forum where there was uproar when I said I used dried pasta and had never made my own some real food snobs on that site.

Oh right. I thought you meant people you knew in real life, not internet morons. I take internet morons with a pinch of salt tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    What are the benefits of fresh pasta?

The main benefit is that it makes you a better person.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I never eat tinned anything. Why would anyone eat tinned tomatoes, when there is nice tomato passata available everywhere all year around?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh right. I thought you meant people you knew in real life, not internet morons. I take internet morons with a pinch of salt tbh.
    Me too, but I only ever use Maldon Sea Salt.
    It's far superior.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true.
    I make my own pasta because I bought an attachment for my food mixer and it makes sheets, tagliatelle and linguini.
    It's a grown up Playdoh factory - it's fun and satisfying.:p
    On the other hand I always have packs of dried pasta for when I cant be arsed.