Tinned foods

Comments

• Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tins are very useful. In the Winter for instance I only use tinned tomatoes as the ones in the shops just taste of nothing. Tinned sweetcorn is useful as are kidney beans and chickpeas.
    Yes, yes, yes and yes - always have them in my cupboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I never eat tinned anything. Why would anyone eat tinned tomatoes, when there is nice tomato passata available everywhere all year around?
    You prefer jars to tins then?
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe all the comments about people that make their own pasta.

The thread is about snobs that look down on people that eat canned food, and some of you are just as judgemental about other people's food choices.

Ever heard of inverted snobbery?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often used tinned borlotti or haricot beans in casseroles. Tinned toms are excellent. And I am old enough to still enjoy tinned sardines/pilchards/mackerel on toast for lunch - all those omega 3s are very beneficial.
    Tinned rice pudding is from the gods.
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    There are people who think that fresh pasta is best, yes, but I doubt very many of them think they are better than anyone else because of that. I think this kind of ultra-snobbery is largely a figment of some people's imaginations.

You must have never seen Come Dine With Me, which seems to have an unending pool of food snobs. Or any of the TV chefs who insist that viewers use the most expensive ingredients. Or the thousands of online recipes that for some reason emphasise ingredients such as kosher salt in all recipes.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 11,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The thread is about snobs that look down on people that eat canned food, and some of you are just as judgemental about other people's food choices.

Sometimes I think if you express a preference for something thats itsn't the very cheapest option half a dozen people on DS will have no hesitation in calling you a snob.

I much prefer fresh pasta, for me you can really taste a difference. Thats not to say i dont eat dried pasta, of course I do, fresh is just an occasional treat. Expressing a preference is not looking down on any one.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just eat what you enjoy, be it fresh, tinned, or frozen.
    I like tinned peaches and pears in own juice. They are still healthy, and are good to have in the cupboard as a dessert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My earlier post:
    "I make my own pasta because I bought an attachment for my food mixer and it makes sheets, tagliatelle and linguini.
    It's a grown up Playdoh factory - it's fun and satisfying.
    On the other hand I always have packs of dried pasta for when I cant be arsed."
    And that's snobbery?
    Get over your food snobbery hang ups.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My earlier post:
    "I make my own pasta because I bought an attachment for my food mixer and it makes sheets, tagliatelle and linguini.
    It's a grown up Playdoh factory - it's fun and satisfying.
    On the other hand I always have packs of dried pasta for when I cant be arsed."
    And that's snobbery?
    Get over your food snobbery hang ups.

I have no hang ups, except a dislike of people that judge others over trivial things like tinned food or fresh pasta. Eat what you like, just be nice to people around you and try to make a positive difference to the world.

I din't refer to you, so no need to repeat your post. How about this post from the first page:
    "It's the people who only make their own, the ones who think dried is second best and they are better than anyone who eats dried pasta."
    I'm sure there are a lot of people that only eat fresh pasta but don't think they are better than people that eat dried pasta. I found this post a bit of an over reaction to possibly one of the most trivial choices in life.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard anyone look down on tinned food eaters
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be highly surprised if there was even one person in this country - who had a kitchen - who didn't have tins of something in their cupboards.

I'm not convinced anyone with any sense actually does look down on those who use tinned food.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have stopped using tinned tomatoes. I only use jars or cartons now. I have had bad health problems in the past and I dont take any chances with my health anymore.

I have seen lots of food snobbery on DS. Normally everytime someone buys something ready made. You will get a fair few comments on why dont you make your own. I know that does not sound snobby saying it like that but some you can hear (sense) the tone the poster is taking. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always got 400g cartons of tomatoes in my cupboard.
    Two nights ago I used them to make delicious bolognaise sauce, dare I say it, "from scratch". :o
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've always got 400g cartons of tomatoes in my cupboard.
    Two nights ago I used them to make delicious bolognaise sauce, dare I say it, "from scratch". :o
    How could it be 'from scratch' if you didn't use your own tomatoes?

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    How could it be 'from scratch' if you didn't use your own tomatoes?

:p
    I've had to compromise since my flour mill collapsed, my well dried up and my cow died.
    :(
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have lots of tinned goods in our cupboard: tuna, salmon, beans, tomatoes, chickpeas, sardines, condensed soup, corned beef, peaches. Nothing wrong with tinned foodstuffs, I don't know if I've really encountered anyone who looks down on people who use them. :confused:
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    There are a lot of foodies who won't eat tinned foods I think they may be the make their own pasta types (sorry if you make your own pasta and are not like that) they think they are eating more authentically than the rest of us forgetting if they went to Italy a lot of people eat dried pasta and don't make it fresh daily.
    We eat almost all tinned foods when we go camping, about to go for a fortnight and have tins ready to go. I have to admit I crave a green vegetable or two when I come back though !

I do make my own pasta (not always - I have to be in the mood) but I hope I'm not a "type". :( Sometimes I make a big batch of it and freeze some for another day, so it's frozen fresh pasta :D Obviously fresh food is best but it's not always practical or even possible. I don't think there's anything wrong with tinned or frozen food, assuming it was fresh and of good quality to begin with.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have stopped using tinned tomatoes. I only use jars or cartons now. I have had bad health problems in the past and I dont take any chances with my health anymore.

I have seen lots of food snobbery on DS. Normally everytime someone buys something ready made. You will get a fair few comments on why dont you make your own. I know that does not sound snobby saying it like that but some you can hear (sense) the tone the poster is taking. :D

I don't get this. I would say tinned would be the safest of those three given that the tin is stronger than the glass and cardboard, and less likely to have the seal punctured.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get this. I would say tinned would be the safest of those three given that the tin is stronger than the glass and cardboard, and less likely to have the seal punctured.

Its not to do with a puncture. You can always tell if a can has blown.

Its to do with seepage of synthetic estrogen bisphenol-A (BPA) from the tin liner. Other tinned foods are fine its to do with the acidity of the tomatoes.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not to do with a puncture. You can always tell if a can has blown.

Its to do with seepage of synthetic estrogen bisphenol-A (BPA) from the tin liner. Other tinned foods are fine its to do with the acidity of the tomatoes.

OK, I didn't know that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I didn't know that.

At first I thought it were another "scare" story but it seems to be true. So I now buy jars, bottles or cartons. Just tomatoes though.

Good thing in most of the cheap shops ( family bargains etc) they sell the bottles, jars at a really good price. So its good.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    You prefer jars to tins then?

Indeed. Glass is much healthier.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the shelves in Sainsbury you can see a high percentage of their "value" range cans are misshapen and dented.
    I don't know why it's just that range compared to the "big" brands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the shelves in Sainsbury you can see a high percentage of their "value" range cans are misshapen and dented.
    I don't know why it's just that range compared to the "big" brands.

Maybe thinner tin? Or their drivers and warehouse staff are not as careful as other brand staff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe thinner tin? Or their drivers and warehouse staff are not as careful as other brand staff

I don't know but I'm surprised they take the risk of there not being a tiny perforation.