VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God, it's a series?

Awful, just awful.
  • Options
    LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    The commissioning editor should be ashamed of themself...how on earth could you watch this in an edit room and say..wow, this will be a hit..its hilarious..

forget about that..shouldn't have even got passed the script stage
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    This is probably the funniest comedy show the BBC has produced in a decade.
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Now THAT did make me laugh :D
    Shouldn't that be ... in an afternoon ?
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god stop whinging. Give them a chance or watch something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    Oh god stop whinging. Give them a chance or watch something else.

Kaiserbee, don't think you've met our good friend Digital Spy forums. Oh they're fantastic, people can use them to pass comment on television shows and everfink. They're magic.
  • Options
    Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I liked it.

The material was a bit patchy, but considering it's the first episode of a sketch show, it was a lot stronger than I expected, and the main performances carried it through.

(And, as always, remember that anybody saying that it was objectively unfunny or 'not comedy' can be ignored as embarrassingly solipsistic.)
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    The problem is they get the licence fee money regardless, they don't have to make good programmes to sell subscriptions (like U.S. cable channels) or attract advertisers like commercial channels so they can just churn out any rubbish if the right number of boxes have been ticked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The problem is they get the licence fee money regardless, they don't have to make good programmes to sell subscriptions (like U.S. cable channels) or attract advertisers like commercial channels so they can just churn out any rubbish if the right number of boxes have been ticked.

Tell you what, why not just copy and paste that for

every

single

you make on here?

It'd save you a lot of time and you could maybe take up a hobby.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what I was on on about in another thread with the BBC's political correctness taking precedence over producing good TV programmes.

They will have said; "there aren't enough female comedians on TV so we'll commission this", sod the fact that's it's miserably unfunny.

Do you have bring your rabid right wing politics into every thread? White men often make bad programmes as well you know. Did you see the Royal Bodyguard?

Like the endless stream of quality programming produced by ITV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Scot what bothers me is that limp crap like this gets an easy ride as a networked BBC2 show when the likes of Limmy and Burnistoun struggle to get national airing.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lazlo Wolf wrote: »
    I liked it.

The material was a bit patchy, but considering it's the first episode of a sketch show, it was a lot stronger than I expected, and the main performances carried it through.

(And, as always, remember that anybody saying that it was objectively unfunny or 'not comedy' can be ignored as embarrassingly solipsistic.)

Or that the people who liked it are embarrassingly easily pleased maybe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or that the people who liked it are embarrassingly easily pleased maybe?

Thank you for proving my point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's OK if you fancy the brunette one, she was kind of cute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Well I'm not ashamed to say that I kinda liked it. I expected not to and some of the sketches didn't quite work but I'm willing to give them a chance. I'll watch it next week.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Do you have bring your rabid right wing politics into every thread? White men often make bad programmes as well you know. Did you see the Royal Bodyguard?

Cause and effect.

Any how have I mentioned this in every thread? I only mentioned it previously on the thread which I started in broadcasting.

Don't worry I won't be commenting on this programme anymore as I won't be watching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Go on then, explain to me why my expressing an opinion "can be ignored as embarrassingly solipsistic"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Myleene Klass made me laugh, Wills and Kate was mildly amusing and the Heffner bunny girls was also slightly amusing. I agree there were some sketches which felt a bit try hard and I don't think they are the new French and Saunders, Catherine Tate, Smack the Pony etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Go on then, explain to me why my expressing an opinion "can be ignored as embarrassingly solipsistic"?

Certainly - you believe than somebody who finds something funny when you do not must therefore be 'embarrassingly easily pleased'.

You have misunderstood the subjective nature of comedy and assumed that only you can judge a universal constant of humour.

I could produce a list of comedy shows I don't like, but am aware that they are comedy I don't like, as distinct from 'bad comedy' or 'not comedy'.
  • Options
    LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I suppose it all boils down to one's sense of humour, but for me personally it didn't tickle mine at all...and no..won't be watching again.....
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,476
    Forum Member
    Made me giggle a few times - and there's plenty of comedy shows that have never managed that. Overall, the material was frequently pretty limp, but I did like the performers so I hope to see more of them in one way or another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly - you believe than somebody who finds something funny when you do not must therefore be 'embarrassingly easily pleased'.

You have misunderstood the subjective nature of comedy and assumed that only you can judge a universal constant of humour.

I could produce a list of comedy shows I don't like, but am aware that they are comedy I don't like, as distinct from 'bad comedy' or 'not comedy'.
    Do you really think I would of posted that if you hadn't kicked off the use of embarrassingly? Do you actually think I believe that? Really?

Yes, I understand the subjective nature of comedy thank you, no lesson required, but you seem to have made the mistake of assuming that people who post opinions on the internet assume their own view is the only one with validity.

I would have thought you would have grasped by now that when people post "<Insert show here> isn't funny" they do actually mean it's not funny to them and shouldn't be misconstrued as "as the self appointed arbiter of all things comedy I hereby proclaim this non-comedy!". You do understand that? Right?
  • Options
    JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a willing participant until barrowboy was brought on.
    Then it became clear the type of audience they were after.
    I'm not that audience. Good luck to them.
  • Options
    mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I thought I was rather good and will watch the next episode.
    The best all girl troupe since French and Saunders.
    I liked the original eyebrow sketch, and the Darling sketches.
    On the downside they did borrow from French and Saunders in places. (Period Drama spoof/Rivaly between the girls and Barrowman) and also Eric and Ernie (The musical fInale with a guest star and a song wot I wrote)
    There has been some dreafull 'all girl' comedy recently which gives ammo to the usual misoghonists on the forums. But remember the Young Ones and Fawlty Towers both had female writing partners.
  • Options
    dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not good gave up after 10mins
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These two could be quite good if they had worked long enough in the comedy circuit to 'hone' their craft. It seemed to me that they have been given a chance and they are just not ready for it. The BBC never learn.

The trouble is, IMO, comedians think because they have appeared at the Fringe and gone reasonably well to a drunken self interested market they are good enough to appeal to a wider audience and these two just aren't.

Alison Graham in the Radio Times didn't seem to enamoured either, she said so in a very roundabout way.