Mirena Coil - Problems

wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

Any ladies here that have the Mirena ?
Have any of you experienced any health issues whilst on it ?

The reason i ask is because i had mine fitted back in November 2012. I had no problems up unitl last month when i started having really bad lower back pain. I also am having pain in my left ankle almost like a burning/ache pain.

I did a bit of research on the net and found lots of women sufferered with bad lower back pain with the Mirena and some ended up having theirs removed and the back pain disappeared. Nearly all of them said their Doctors dismissed the idea that the back pain was connected to the coil.

When i visisted my GP 2 weeks ago and requested they remove it, she also dismissed it and said it sounded like disc inflammation, they prescribed Naproxen, but it hasnt helped. I also have back exercises but that also hasnt helped. I am now due to have my period (such as it is) and the pain today has increased. I am seriosuly debating on getting it removed this week....

Has anyone had anything similar ?

Comments

• Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google Marina Coil problems and see what comes up. I had mine removed because it gave me cervicitis. If you are unhappy get it removed I had to force my Doctor to remove it and when she saw my what my cervix looked like I had to have an emergency hospital appointment for a biopsy of my cervix.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    Google Marina Coil problems and see what comes up. I had mine removed because it gave me cervicitis. If you are unhappy get it removed I had to force my Doctor to remove it and when she saw my what my cervix looked like I had to have an emergency hospital appointment for a biopsy of my cervix.

Yeah i already did :)

That's what's worrying me, that there are pages and pages of people complaining about Mirena.....and a lot of them mention severe lower back pain/leg pain.
    But my Doctor insists that my back pain is caused by inflammation of a disc.

Think i may go back and talk to her again about it....insist they take it out.
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops! sorry about the typo I should have typed Mirena :D

I hated the Mirena ... I started having spots which I hadn't had since I was a teenager, I became moody and put on weight. If you read other peoples experiences you will see others suffered the same side affects. I kept going to the Doctor asking if the Mirena could be could be causing this and was told no it should'nt I got so desperate I even tried to remove it myself put couldn't find the strings. Eventually I went to the Doctors and insisted she remove it and guess what the Doctor couldn't find the strings either because my cervix was so swollen and she said I would have to go to hospital to get it removed. The next day she rang me and said come back to the surgery and I will try again to remove it so I went back and she managed to hook it out but it made my cervix bleed a lot. This was about 5 years ago and I am glad I got rid of it. I will say that a woman I know has had 2 fitted and she has had no problems at all. It just doesn't suit all women but for some reason the NHS are pushing for all women to use it. I was having a uterus biopsy when the Consultant suggested I had one fitted and before I could research it he had whipped one out of a box and fitted it.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im 52 and on my second one with no problems at all, my friend a couple of years older than me had one the same time, when the 5 years was up they didnt bother with another one, as she didnt need it, passed menopause.

That is the reason why we had it, for excess very painful periods, basically the last resort because I was pushing very hard for a hystarectomy, but GP said the hospitals were cuting down on them so have to try everything else, before getting refered to a consultant, dont need it for contraception as I was sterilised in the early 90's, just to get me through the menopause, so I would advise anyone to try it as it has suited me very well, although I have been told I shouldnt need another 1 in 4 years time. fingers crossed.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both :)
    I know there are lots of women out there who have no problems at all with it. To be fair the only thing i do have is this bad back and leg pain. Everything else is great !!

I think i may leave it another couple of weeks and see how it goes :)