Options

Dolphins don't want to be in showbiz!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that they have been photographed it looks like they were actually Risso's dolphins rather than pilot whales.

That might explain why the dolphin trainers looked them over before they were killed.

http://www.oceanguardians.org/forum/showthread.php?11213-Pilot-whales-slaughtered-in-Taiji
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, now they have captured 20 dolphins. :(

Report from Taiji: September 22 - Early report

Very early this morning, September 22, 2010, about 20 dolphins were herded into the cove at Taiji and locked behind nets. The dolphin hunters are still out looking for more.

Yesterday’s slaughter included two different groups brought in by the hunters. The first was a pod of long finned Pilot Whales and the second was Risso dolphins. All were killed.

We will post an update at the end of this day.

We need your help now more than ever. Spread the word, send donations, join in the protest, and if at all possible, come join us here in Taiji. To join us (voluntarily, and completely at your own cost and risk) in Taiji, write to me at inform-us@seashepherd.org. I will get back to you, but please be patient. I cannot keep an eye on the Cove and answer email at the same time.

There is an international day of protest on October 14, 2010, where you will have an opportunity to let the Japanese government know how you feel. http://www.savejapandolphins.org/blog.html

Sea Shepherd organized the first couple of these protests. See http://www.seashepherd.org/dolphins/worldwide-protest.html

For the Oceans,

Scott West
    Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

Follow my daughter’s blog of these events at eloramalama.wordpress.com

http://www.seashepherd.org/dolphins/report-from-taiji-september-22-early-report.html
  • Options
    AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzzle, why don't you E mail the Sea Shepard people and ask them for a job?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzzle, why don't you E mail the Sea Shepard people and ask them for a job?:)

I think it's an important issue that people should be aware of. As I said, until fairly recently I had no idea what went on in Taiji etc.

I am not normally a big animal rights person and I have a full and hectic life so I'm afraid I don't have time to be flying off to Taiji or sailing the seven seas! :)

I am only really referring to Sea Shepherd so much because they are the people who are actually there, in Taiji. I support lots of different organisations, not just Sea Shepherd although I think they are doing an amazing job of keeping people informed of what is going on. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    What about all the cuddly sharks? Don't they deserve our love too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suzzle wrote: »
    I think it's an important issue that people should be aware of. As I said, until fairly recently I had no idea what went on in Taiji etc.

I am not normally a big animal rights person and I have a full and hectic life so I'm afraid I don't have time to be flying off to Taiji or sailing the seven seas! :)

I am only really referring to Sea Shepherd so much because they are the people who are actually there, in Taiji. I support lots of different organisations, not just Sea Shepherd although I think they are doing an amazing job of keeping people informed of what is going on. :)
    But surely the poor cute dolphins are more important!!!

If you care about them that much you should go and help them no matter what the cost!!!!

GO SUZZLE!!!!!

You could be like a dolphin saving super hero!!!!

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    lynxmale wrote: »

nope apparently not, as they are not 'cute'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good point. There is also a very good shark campaign if anyone is interested. :)

http://www.seashepherd.org/sharks/

It is a shame that sharks get "bad press" and aren't as "cuddly" as you say.

I suppose because the Taiji killing is happening now, I wanted to draw attention to it. Also what really riles me up about dolphin slaughter is how intelligent they are. They are self aware, live in family groups (eg They can stay with their mothers for years and years). They form very close bonds and have been observed to grieve and pine if something happens to another dolphin. They also have good memories and can think about the future. They kill and capture mothers with suckling babies and pregnant females.Sometimes the babies are killed and sometimes they are left to starve. It is just horrific.

This article in the Times illustrates what I mean about their intelligence. :)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6973994.ece

There are 20 dolphins now in the cove who will be stressed beyond belief. I hope they do the right thing and let the ones go that they don't select for training.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a dolphin show several years ago in Cuba. One of the dolphins wasn't performing that well. Afterwards I peeked over a fence behind the show pool and saw 2 trainers beating the dolphin with sticks in a small pool. WTF.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    I went to a dolphin show several years ago in Cuba. One of the dolphins wasn't performing that well. Afterwards I peeked over a fence behind the show pool and saw 2 trainers beating the dolphin with sticks in a small pool. WTF.

That is TERRIBLE! Which dolphin show was it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely the poor cute dolphins are more important!!!

If you care about them that much you should go and help them no matter what the cost!!!!

GO SUZZLE!!!!!

You could be like a dolphin saving super hero!!!!

:D

While I would love to hop on a plane to Taiji wearing nothing more than a bright blue lycra leotard, stylishly accessorized with red Y-fronts (LOL!) it just isn't possible. My son has a form of autism so I have responsibilities. I will have to make do with just passing on updates and information. If I can do my little tiny bit to bring attention to it then at least I am doing something! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I would love to hop on a plane to Taiji wearing nothing more than a bright blue lycra leotard, stylishly accessorized with red Y-fronts (LOL!) it just isn't possible. My son has a form of autism so I have responsibilities. I will have to make do with just passing on updates and information. If I can do my little tiny bit to bring attention to it then at least I am doing something! :)

Nice costume idea!!!! Have you started making it yet?

I wonder what special powers a dolphin super hero would have?

Hmmmmmm...................

:)
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

23,000 dolphins killed every year is insignificant in comparison to the number of cod killed everyday to feed the British desire for Fish and Chips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The collapse of the cod population is also a shocking thing. In fact our impact on all marine ecolgogy is truly awful. Unfortunately I don't have the time or resources to champion every cause. I am just trying to keep those who are interested informed about this terrible dolphin trade, which has become of special interest to me. The only way to change things is one step at a time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    23,000 dolphins killed every year is insignificant in comparison to the number of cod killed everyday to feed the British desire for Fish and Chips.

I think you'll find that suzzle (or her source) was wrong on figures, its around 2000 a year. Still bad but not 23000.

As for the cod thing....they just taste nicer than dolphins....:D
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that suzzle (or her source) was wrong on figures, its around 2000 a year. Still bad but not 23000.

As for the cod thing....they just taste nicer than dolphins....:D

That depends if you are Japanese surely:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    That depends if you are Japanese surely:eek:

nah they've just not tried proper northern fish n chips (with scraps) :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice costume idea!!!! Have you started making it yet?

I wonder what special powers a dolphin super hero would have?

Hmmmmmm...................

Mmmm... you have a point. I could wear it for shopping.

A dolphin costume with a retractible Kolashnikov AK-47 semi-automatic machine gun ought to do it. ( joke)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm... you have a point. I could wear it for shopping.

A dolphin costume with a retractible Kolashnikov AK-47 semi-automatic machine gun ought to do it. ( joke)

What about super sonic screech ability where you screech really loud like a dolphin and deafen all the fishermen then rescue the pod while they are all holding their ears and moaning?!!!!

Hey, this could be a block buster movie ya know!!!

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about super sonic screech ability where you screech really loud like a dolphin and deafen all the fishermen then rescue the pod while they are all holding their ears and moaning?!!!!

Hey, this could be a block buster movie ya know!!!

LOL! LOL! Bizarrely it's quite nice to find a bit of humour in all this! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to what we were talking about before - I think it was this article in the Daily Mail that first sparked my interest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1211311/Massacre-dolphins-How-dolphins-massacred-satisfy-food-fetish-poisoning-Japanese-eat-them.html

It really was quite eye opening for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »

D

We were both wrong actually. The 23,000 figure is the number of permits issued by the Japanese government. The actual catch year to year varies considerably and of course these figures represent only those dolphin deaths that are officially reported.

Below are the official figures.

"23,000 permits are issued each year by the Japan Fisheries Agency to kill dolphins, porpoises, and other small whales. The total kill varies from year to year (for example, in 2007, 13,107 dolphins and small whales were reported killed in Japan waters. These numbers do not include the large whales killed under so-called “scientific” whaling permits in the North Pacific and Antarctic Oceans.). This is the largest scale slaughter of cetaceans in the world."

http://www.savejapandolphins.org/quickfacts.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you could have a super sonic jet ski that was in the shape of an angry looking dolphin with guns on the front to kill all the fishermen!!!!!

Have you thought about a name? Dolphin girl/guy? Dolphin woman/man? Those are a bit generic though, maybe someone else could come up with something better.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you could have a super sonic jet ski that was in the shape of an angry looking dolpin with guns on the front to kill all the fishermen!!!!!

Have you thought about a name? Dolpin girl/guy? Dolphin woman/man? Those are a bit generic though, maybe someone else could come up with something better.:)

In 2003 two Sea Shepherd volunteers sneaked into the water and untied the nets, releasing the dolphins.

I think they are real dolphin super-heroes. It was filmed.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ7eQ9MKM4&p=2D46C7750271D2E2&playnext=1&index=26
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2003 two Sea Shepherd volunteers sneaked into the water and untied the nets, releasing the dolphins.

I think they are real dolphin super-heroes. It was filmed.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ7eQ9MKM4&p=2D46C7750271D2E2&playnext=1&index=26

Nah, they're rubbish, they don't wear cool costumes or anything!!!

To be a proper super hero you need

1.A cool costume.
    2.A cool name.
    3.Abilities or gadgets.

Everyone knows that!!!!