✭✭✭
    There's no video

Sorry used wrong link. It's here. Watch from1:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORy550ZLA54
  • cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suzzle wrote: »
    Also to answer Cartree about my use of emotional language.

Watch this from 1:50. This is the Taiji "fisherman" actually killing the dolphins. When you have watched it all then speak to me about emotional manipulation. What happens there is a fact. I am not trying to play people. No manipulation is required to see that is in in fact quite horrific.

Erm, are you sure that was the right video when you're trying to argue that you're not using emotive language to manipulate? It's saturated with it!

Look, I'm on your side really. But seriously you do yourself no favours when you use this tactic. You object to dolphins being killed. If they were stunned and killed instantly with little or no bloodshed, how would you campaign against that? Think why it would be different, when it's the death you object to?
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    This senseless slaughter makes me ashamed to belong to the same species as these callous scumbags.
    It was something similar in the Faroes that made me go vegetarian 23 years ago.
    Wherever possible I will continue to boycott Japanese products until they stop this brutality.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No manipulation is required to see that is in in fact quite horrific.
    That didn't stop whoever made the video from slathering it in oodles of emotional manipulation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cartree wrote: »
    Erm, are you sure that was the right video when you're trying to argue that you're not using emotive language to manipulate? It's saturated with it!

Look, I'm on your side really. But seriously you do yourself no favours when you use this tactic. You object to dolphins being killed. If they were stunned and killed instantly with little or no bloodshed, how would you campaign against that? Think why it would be different, when it's the death you object to?

Did you actually watch the images??? That is the reality of what is happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you actually watch the images??? That is the reality of what is happening.

Yes. Did you actually read what I wrote?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry used wrong link. It's here. Watch from1:50

So you've gone from using emotive language to using the manipulating and overly emotive vid, with those ever so cute dolphins at the beginning then going on to be slaughtered.

sorry i'm vege and animal lover but that vid did takes the piss, what gets me is people look at that and get all emotional because the dolphins look cute, but then later on will tuck in to some meat and enjoy it without thinking about what's been killed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you've gone from using emotive language to using the manipulating and overly emotive vid, with those ever so cute dolphins at the beginning then going on to be slaughtered.

sorry i'm vege and animal lover but that vid did takes the piss, what gets me is people look at that and get all emotional because the dolphins look cute, but then later on will tuck in to some meat and enjoy it without thinking about what's been killed.

Unbelievable. That was the first vid I came across that has actual images of the dolphins being slaughtered. I make no apologies if someone has put some emotive captions on it. It is quite an emotive subject. I can't believe that so many people seem to be completely missing the point.Objecting to way it is presented to them and completely ignoring the horrific suffering happening right before their eyes. I really do give up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cartree wrote: »
    Yes. Did you actually read what I wrote?

I'll take that as a "no" then.
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable. That was the first vid I came across that has actual images of the dolphins being slaughtered. I make no apologies if someone has put some emotive captions on it. It is quite an emotive subject. I can't believe that so many people seem to be completely missing the point.Objecting to way it is presented to them and completely ignoring the horrific suffering happening right before their eyes. I really do give up.

I have to agree here. Any emotive language used on an accompanying video is totally irrelevant to the reality of what is happening. The only important thing here is the senseless slaughter and horrific suffering inflicted on these creatures.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, individuals sending emails to the Japanese embassy is going to have zero effect.

Only pressure from governments will achieve anything. I suggest sending an email to your MP instead.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am glad this thread is generating such interest. Please contact the Consulate General as in the OP and your MP etc if you'd like if you agree and wish to stop this cruelty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear that the dolphin trainers took 3 or 4 baby dolphins yesterday. Presumably before the rest were slaughtered. It would seem that they are not likely to survive but I suppose they will bring in the tourists for as long as they manage to keep them alive.
    It turns out Cove Guardian Rex Ray had filmed something the dolphin trainers probably wish we had not seen. The dolphin trainers entered the cove via skiff from Taiji harbor and then left again in the skiff, but traveled to the whale museum. This seemed odd. The video of them leaving reveals that they had 3 to 4 baby pacific spotted dolphins in the skiff with them. These babies are probably between 6 to 12 months old and it is questionable if they are old enough to take solid food. The Taiji whale museum is known for its “exotic” collection. It could be that they intend to put these babies on display for as long as they manage to live. It is common knowledge among dolphin trainers that pacific spotted dolphins generally do not do well in captivity.

See below for full report and video.

http://www.seashepherd.org/dolphins/report-from-taiji-october-28.html
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is truly sick :mad:
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Completely disagree. Public outcry has changed the world. That's why women have the vote and the House of Lords no longer rules this country.

The more voices that urge change - the more likey change is to occur. The only whaling fleets left belong to Japan, Iceland and Norway. That's down to individual people writing letters, sending emails and doing their bit to object. Slowly but surely individuals can and do make a difference.

Women's right to vote wasn't obtained by some spotty herbert who lives on DS/FB though. :D

Edit: sorry forgot to mention I find this event disgusting. Try writing to your MP/MEP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    This is truly sick :mad:

You are so right! The whole dolphin trade is quite sickening. :(
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all have to eat. A dolphin is meat like a chicken. The Japenese like Dolphin and Whale meat, we like chicken and Sheep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women's right to vote wasn't obtained by some spotty herbert who lives on DS/FB though. :D

Edit: sorry forgot to mention I find this event disgusting. Try writing to your MP/MEP.

LOL! Thanks for your support! To be fair to us spotty herberts though - there was a facebook petition earlier this year which got well over a million signatures (Can't remember the exact number) and Ric O'Barry from Savejapandolphins took it over to Japan and handed it in in Tokyo. It got a lot of local news coverage including the main TV stations so it just goes to show...a lot of spotty herberts can make their voices heard! :)
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    LOL! Thanks for your support! To be fair to us spotty herberts though - there was a facebook petition earlier this year which got well over a million signatures (Can't remember the exact number) and Ric O'Barry from Savejapandolphins took it over to Japan and handed it in in Tokyo. It got a lot of local news coverage including the main TV stations so it just goes to show...a lot of spotty herberts can make their voices heard! :)

woops- didn't mean to imply you're a herbert!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are so right! The whole dolphin trade is quite sickening. :(

Are you a Vege or Vegan?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    This senseless slaughter makes me ashamed to belong to the same species as these callous scumbags.
    It was something similar in the Faroes that made me go vegetarian 23 years ago.
    Wherever possible I will continue to boycott Japanese products until they stop this brutality.

The Faroese are a tiny nation -They depend on the sea .You cant compare them to the way the British have overfished or the Canadians .I think they have a right to catch sea creatures .Funny how dolphins and whales - the cuddlies of the sea get the attention when sharks are being killed in the millions for no reason and noones protesting about their treatemnt much .When the animal rights movement starts protesting about halal slaughtetr in the UK then ill take them seriously about dolphins and whales .Until then
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    We all have to eat. A dolphin is meat like a chicken. The Japenese like Dolphin and Whale meat, we like chicken and Sheep.
    Actually most Japanese don't even like it, Whale & dolphin hunting was started relatively recently as a perverse kind of nationalism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woops- didn't mean to imply you're a herbert!! :D

LOL! No offence taken. I will happily stand loud and proud for the herberts of the world! :D
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that documentary the cove brought home a few home truths. But who are we to interfere with a tradition the Japenese have carried out for decades.

That is life!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Actually most Japanese don't even like it, Whale & dolphin hunting was started relatively recently as a perverse kind of nationalism.

True. The facts are actually AMAZING!

Japan's mighty whale mountain
    It's enough to make members of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society choke on their tofu burgers. Stocks of frozen whale meat in Japan have reached 4,000 tons — that's 4 million kg.

See ... http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fe20100912rh.html

The bizarre thing is that no-one wants it!!! I've read that a lot of the dolphin meat ends up in storage or pet food.