Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hah, my brother lives in Milngavie, I was going to use that one! It's actually pronounced with a u like in "gull". Mull-guy. Though if you say the i quickly I guess it sounds the same anyway.

One I found odd when visiting a friend was Esher. Why "ee" at the start?
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Murst Em. Nothing difficult there

Next.

Kirkcudbrightshire?
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Another couple in Cornwall, Fowey and Mousehole, both beautiful places.

They're pronounced as 'Foy' and 'Moos-all'!
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Ok, enough already. Can we get off the topic of geographical pronounciations now please?

There's been a lot of this off topic chit chat recently. It's nice to ramble a little bit over the issues LBC raises sometimes, but honestly, two whole pages?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Ok, enough already. Can get off the topic of geographical pronounciations now please?

There's been a lot of this off topic chit chat recently. It's nice to ramble a little bit over the issues LBC raises sometimes, but honestly, two whole pages?

OK, let's talk about James O'Brien.
    Who wants to start?
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Kirkcudbrightshire?

Kercoodbrie.

Next.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Who wants to start?

No, let's not. Far too much talk here about this person.
    Next!
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, enough already. Can get off the topic of geographical pronounciations now please?

The only things that's considered off topic on this thread are comments that are negative about the Tory led government or positive about the the left-leaning opposition. Chat about how things are pronounced won't get deleted even though they have nothing to do with LBC.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Ask Boris is pointless now as the baffoon is only interested in London issues. He sounded a right cretin this morning and can't answer simple recycling questions. Your not popular cause you act stupid and can't answer questions with out stuttering.

I think that's precisely why he is popular.
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who wants to start?

What was Brian discussing on his self-indulgent three hour show this morning? Was he saying that he "simply doesn't understand" a topic or was he making everything about his time at a public school as usual?
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    The only things that's considered off topic on this thread are comments that are negative about the Tory led government or positive about the the left-leaning opposition. Chat about how things are pronounced won't get deleted even though they have nothing to do with LBC.

I did try to allow a little leeway:
    It's nice to ramble a little bit over the issues LBC raises sometimes, but honestly, two whole pages?

but seriously, two pages worth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    The only things that's considered off topic on this thread are comments that are negative about the Tory led government or positive about the the left-leaning opposition. Chat about how things are pronounced won't get deleted even though they have nothing to do with LBC[.

That's not quite true. It all started precisely because the lady who is in one of LBC's ads, advertising a new housing development, can't pronounce the name of the place where it is. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=HHGTTG;72971467 Kercoodbrie.

Next.[/QUOTE]

Spot on! :D
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is getting boring.

So I will give you ....Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch to pronounce !
  • Options
    TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who wants to start?

I reckon Mike R will be along soon to start us off on that topic :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is getting boring.

So I will give you ....Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch to pronounce !

Chlanfair PG. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain Dale on Twitter.

Help for Heroes are £25 richer so far due to Iain saying 0845 6060973 on air.

oops he did it again. now £30 and counting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 41s

BREAKING: Met Police have arrested a Tower Hamlets resident in possession of postal vote ballot papers. More on @LBC later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 41s

BREAKING: Met Police have arrested a Tower Hamlets resident in possession of postal vote ballot papers. More on @LBC later.

Wooo hooo. Who do we know who lives in Tower Hamlets?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's the Mayor of London, answering questions about London on a London Radio station. What would you like him to talk about?

Maybe a London based Radio Station now, but it's now National.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Kercoodbrie.

Next.

The "d" is silent. More like "Kircoobrie" (my family's from there).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wooo hooo. Who do we know who lives in Tower Hamlets?

IT ISN'T ME !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

This again!

How many times does it have to be said that LBC is just a London station that can be picked up countrywide. It does not mean - as they confirmed themselves many times - that is no longer about London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IT ISN'T ME !!!

Nor Me. I am in the North East at the moment.

But here is some more detail.......

Tower Hamlets vote fraud allegations: Man arrested and eight investigations ongoing.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/tower-hamlets-vote-fraud-allegations-man-arrested-and-eight-investigations-ongoing-9487157.html
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not 'Feltham', it's 'Bedfont Lakes Village'.

Silly me, forgot that:)
    I once worked with someone who lived at Witham. He pronounced it 'Wittam' too.
    Take no notice of newsreaders. Have you heard the ones on LBC talk about Marley Bone?

I was told by relatives there that's how you pronounce it, there are always arguments though

And London is the biggest and most important city in the country and so affects the rest of it whatever happens. LBC isn't so much national anyway as available to the rest of the country if they choose to listen.
This discussion has been closed.