People who have gained, lost or changed religion as adults.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
Forum Member
✭✭
...At risk of being beaten to death for starting yet another thread with religion in the title. :blush: But this is something I am genuinely interested in.

I am asking about people who have changed their religious status AS ADULTS, ie not just given up a religion they grew up in.

So someone who has actually been a devout adult, but lost that religion, or a confirmed atheist, and acquired a religious belief, or has converted from one religion to another.

Inspired by the unliked post in another thread that people without a religion are more likely to be bad, I am sincerely curious as to whether people have found that gaining or losing a religion has had any impact on their moral code?

To start with my own (not very overwhelming) change: I have moved from being a don't-care-not-interested person to what you might call an active agnostic, attending an agnostic-atheist-friendly church every week. And I would say that it HAS made a change, but a subtle one; I can't sit here and say that 'until I found religion I used to drink/ ****/ steal/ carouse, but now I sit and knit mufflers for orphans', but I just feel a bit more three dimensional in the way I look at life, a bit more spiritually aware, more grateful I guess, and happier, definitely. :)

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I became a Christian as an adult. It was a case of being older and wiser.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Went to Sunday School, mainly for my parents to get rid of me and could play Pong on the Reverends Binatone system, but as I got older, I realised that it was all a load of bollocks.

I understand faith though and appreciate it is a powerful mechanism, but going to church to worship an imaginary being counteracts that in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to Sunday School, mainly for my parents to get rid of me and could play Pong on the Reverends Binatone system, but as I got older, I realised that it was all a load of bollocks.

I understand faith though and appreciate it is a powerful mechanism, but going to church to worship an imaginary being counteracts that in my opinion.

I did specifically ask people not to post their accounts of being brought up in a religion but giving it up as adults. I guess it's a kind of story, but invariably negative, and generally rather shallow, as you are showing.

I was asking about people who were religious AS ADULTS then changed; or of course the other way round.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did specifically ask people not to post their accounts of being brought up in a religion but giving it up as adults. I guess it's a kind of story, but invariably negative, and generally rather shallow, as you are showing.

I was asking about people who were religious AS ADULTS then changed; or of course the other way round.

I hope you get decent responses to this, Wonkey.

I have nothing to contribute myself, growing up atheist, although I had a brief interest in religion as a teenager, but then settling as a happy humanist :)

But I like reading about how and why people converted to their religions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I hope you get decent responses to this, Wonkey.

I have nothing to contribute myself, growing up atheist, although I had a brief interest in religion as a teenager, but then settling as a happy humanist :)

But I like reading about how and why people converted to their religions.

Thanks anyway. :)
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I became a Christian on the threshold of adulthood, without being brought up in a religion by my family. We were never atheists though.

I also experimented a little bit with Zen Buddhism in my twenties, but have remained Christian ever since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well, thanks to the couple of people who contributed. It seems that although there are always tons of people wanting to post on threads about religion, that is only true if the thread is an invitation for people to slag off 'religion' in the most fatuous terms. Try to ask for something sensible and interesting and people can't be bothered at all.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Stipe
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, thanks to the couple of people who contributed. It seems that although there are always tons of people wanting to post on threads about religion, that is only true if the thread is an invitation for people to slag off 'religion' in the most fatuous terms. Try to ask for something sensible and interesting and people can't be bothered at all.

I think that's a bit unfair; you most likely disqualified the majority of people during your original post.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I was an atheist all my life then at 48 started questioning and by 50 was very sure I had Faith, I won't say I found religion because I find I am not really anyone religion more than another although I do seem much more drawn to Quaker meetings and their stance on life than any other religion.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your bad attitude could have something to do with it. Just a thought.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was going to post - Christian to Agnostic to Wicca to Atheism - as I thought it might have been of interest to you. And it seemed a better paced, more gentle thread than the usual religious threads which I no longer tend to post in as it is always the same ground going over.

But this post has massively put me off. :(

Such a shame as it would have been a thread I'd really have been interested in myself, the psychology & reasoning behind acquiring/relinquishing faith.
  • Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have put folk off responding by being a bit of a dick tbh:):kitty:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I became a christian aged 21 and stuck it for about 25 years and got fed up with the hypocrisy and double standards. The woman I was married too was fanatical and would beat me and abuse me. She would often read her bible drinking lager or wine half plastered. It was a living hell. The church didn't believe me so i said enoughs enough and left and sort a divorce. But that wasn't the end of it. My ex wife then made allegations against me of a horrendous nature. Some time later i saw film footage of her in church with arms raised praying. That convinced me to go athiest as i am now. God! Religion! Call it what you like, but I call it fantasy.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps there aren't that many people who fit into the relatively narrow frame you've set for yourself.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IShe would often read her bible drinking lager or wine half plastered.
    was the full plastered one your window dummy, or is that fibreglass?
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a Christian who became a Buddhist at 25 then moved onto Kabbalah a couple of years later. Needless to say, people don't take his changes of heart too seriously. Spirituality was a fashion for him.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Don't be such a knob OP.

Anyway, a friend of mine converted to Orthadox Judaism when he was in his 20's. He is autistic and prior to judaism was obsessed with Robbie Williams.

He now lived in Israel with 2 kids in an arranged marriage. i think the main attraction for the religion was that they essentially set you up with a wife and say go forth and multiply, and due to his condition that was pretty unlikely to happen the normal way. (the marriage part, not the sex part, (he had plenty of that from random internet women)).
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

or... you posted late at night when there are far fewer folks around and then the question slipped off the front page...?
  • Tawn47Tawn47 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Well I cant contribute personally (Atheist all my life) but if you really want to find out more about someone who converted as an adult, try to find out more about Matt Dillahunty at The Atheist Experience. He lost his belief once he started training for the clergy and started reading the bible in detail.

You might find The Clergy project interesting too. They anonymously communicate with Priests who lost their faith but are essentially trapped in their job.

Hope that's some help..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Don't know whether this counts Wonkey, but I was raised as a Roman Candle, and I'm now agnostic. I still think of myself as a Christian (old habits die hard), but I do accept that it might all be wrong. I believe in a creator (someone wrote the laws of physics), but for all we know he might've been an ordinary mortal like the rest of us. And that's just the point: we can't possibly know.

On the point you mentioned about godless people being more likely to be bad, I think that's true only up to a point; many atheists are perfectly good people, and we all know about certain elements of the priesthood. But I do believe (in a very, very broad sense), that a society, as opposed to individuals, is the poorer without some sort of religion.

The trouble is, any faith is easy to ridicule, but religion has positives and negatives. It gives people happiness, a sense of purpose, and can make them better people. And yet, it causes wars.

Bottom line - I think religion is a fact of life. Let's just accept it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    or... you posted late at night when there are far fewer folks around and then the question slipped off the front page...?

Wonkey should've bumped the thread in a positive manner.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    Wonkey should've bumped the thread in a positive manner.

We do not agree about religion but you always speak a lot of sense. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    We do not agree about religion but you always speak a lot of sense. :)

Thanks Keyser :D:)
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I normally appreciate your posts wonkey, but in this case you're being particularly arsey and arrogant. Not sure why you've resorted to this.

Yes you started another thread on religion, and yes people will reply in whatever fashion they wish. Surely you have been around long enough now to realise how GD works?

(I'd also answer your original question, but I'd only end up in the "shallow" range from the looks of it.)