Options

The most annoying radio adverts.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    A blatant plug for a product. Isn't that what an advert is supposed to be?!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Edinburgh property developer and their cheesey strap lines.
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Live wrote: »
    A blatant plug for a product. Isn't that what an advert is supposed to be?!

It is - but using up to three slots in an ad break, to promote your own products (when you also own the station) is stretching it a bit.
  • Options
    DartfordHoopDartfordHoop Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    ANY poxy DFS ad.

The more they are determined to advertise on every commercial radio station, the more determined I am NEVER to buy anything there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst currently are the RAB ones, the ford dealer and the Autoglass nonsense.

All that stuff ... its horrific - a total switch off.

The carrying a knife stuff on Galaxy are also pretty bad and have reaching for the tuning dial.

At the moment... its SEH-VAC and RAB - Radio Ads Bite
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    I hate all those Cheessy Jingles that seem to be popping up on every station these days. They all sound like chas & Dave, Heard one on Radio Norwich the other day complete rip off of "Show me the way to Amarillo" for some window company
    why do publishing companys allow their Artisits songs to be butcherd this way ..really Naff

The simple answer is they don't.

These "song rip-offs" are usually production companies attempts to make it sound like the original song, It'll have some different notes & is probably in a different key. It avoids any payment to the publisher as it's a different recording that just happens to sound something like the hit song.

If you want to use the original hit version then you do have to pay the publisher & writer. The cost depends on how much you want to use, how many stations it's on & how long it will be used for. The writer also has the right to refuse it's use in any commercial.
  • Options
    TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also hate the Autoglass one where you've always got some thick sounding brummie talking about some woman he got sent out to "last week" :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And THE worst advert ever, for Volkswagon vans where you've some idiot with a faked-up mockney accent telling you about "Volkswagon vaaaaaaaaaaaaaans" :mad:
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The T-Mobile ads - "can you find more minutes for £30? Join T-Mobile, tell us and we'll match or beat it."

No and I don't want to either. Now, beat it!
  • Options
    Striker22Striker22 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I've really enjoyed this thread......I thought getting angry with radio ad's was just me being cranky.

One that springs to mind that I hear on Capital (apart from the awful voiceovers for the "Jingle Bell Baaaaaallll") are the 'Freshly made up on the spot' McDonalds ad's.....I really, really hate them:mad:
  • Options
    StubcrouchStubcrouch Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    CN Radio Group have a plethora of "Sing-a-long" ads. I'm intrgued to know if any of them are National or not - Their Planet Windows have increasingly daft singing ads - The Three Little Pigs for example:

"Once upon a time there were three little pigs
    Who built themselves a home to have somewhere to live...."

etc.

The full version must have been 2 minutes! as each pig got it's house blown down - exept for the one who installed Planet Windows of course!

They came back later with (In a similar yokel accent):

"Get what you pay for
    Get what you pay for
    Get what you pay for
    Windows and doors
    You can really shop around and get your windows for peanuts!
    But don't be surprised if a monkey turns up!"

Daft and annoying but full marks for getting the message across.

Another one I wonder if it's used elsewhere with a different name, is for a local gas showroom - based on - believe it or not, the old "Star Trekking - Across the Universe Song"

"Morecambe Gas! Not of this universe -Better call us now or our adverts will get worse!"

Thinking of "subconscious submersion" or whatever it's called - Twenty years ago an ad was played at the same time each morning on the radio just as it came on on the alarm - I hadn't woken up yet but the bloody tune/rhyme etched into my brain to this day;

"You can buy a car wherever you please.
    It doesn't matter unless you care,
    About quality.
    Then the company.
    Is BRM!
    BRM - Where the standard of service is high!
    BRM - You won't find a better buy!
    BRM - You can save up to a thousand pounds!
    BRM - Come and have a look around!
    Bristol Road Motors in Gloucester!
    A phone call now is all it's gonna cost ya!
    Gloucester 304564 - Gloucester 304564!"

So that ad certainly did it's job!

Going back further - I'll never forget the one size fitls all ads used by a car garage in Kent same tune but the different name squeezed into the song:

"Autoyachts!- We'll bring you ov-errrrr
    We'll bring you over - To Fiat - Todayyyyy"

Then - Badly:

"Ashford Motor Companyyyyyyy - We'll bring you overrrrrrr"

etc.
  • Options
    TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The advert for Muller fruit corner where they sing a reversion of Salt N Peppers Push it is so cringeworthy. Just terrible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the broadcaster's own adverts are cringeworthy.

There's one running on 5Live where Shelagh Fogarty compares herself and Nicky Campbell to "the Fred and Ginger of the airwaves"

Oh dear.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talizman wrote: »
    And THE worst advert ever, for Volkswagon vans where you've some idiot with a faked-up mockney accent telling you about "Volkswagon vaaaaaaaaaaaaaans" :mad:

Voiced by genuine Londoner, Ray Winstone!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is - but using up to three slots in an ad break, to promote your own products (when you also own the station) is stretching it a bit.

Not unless they are paying for the slots? It may be the same group (ie - Bauer) but remember the group is made up of lots of different companies. Each of those companies has to make money for themselves. I'd be very surprised if the radio stations weren't taking any money for these slots. Perhaps a discounted rate?
  • Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the adverts for Persil Small and Mighty annoying. With the northern kid.

As soon as I hear....."Did you know...." I have to switch over.
    Lee277 wrote: »
    It's got to be the Maureen 118 212 hasn't it...
    RadioGaz wrote: »
    The current compare the market.com advert makes me reach to change the station!

I have to agree. Those adverts get on my nerves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    BGR Bloomer Solicitors (usually on Absolute) - 'Jessica Howells was deciding whether to wear the black dress, or the red one. If she didn't spend so long deciding, she wouldn't have been hit by the Jeep'

(Maybe if she chose the red dress, the blood wouldn't show up when she DID get hit!!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Hyitsme wrote: »
    The ad promoting Fostering - ok, so you can 'earn' £20,000 pa which apparently is more than they earned previously but surely the idea of fostering children is to help give them a good start in life, rather than earn extra cash??

Aha - the power of DS!! 'they' have stopped broadcasting this ad, and replaced it with a much more acceptable one.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Live wrote: »
    Voiced by genuine Londoner, Ray Winstone!:D

That's really him? If it is then he's really hamming up the accent to the point that it sounds really fake. I really don't see the point of using a strong cockney accent to sell a vehicle - after all would you buy a van...sorry, a vaaaaaaaaaaaaan off Delboy??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I have to say the worst ad for me, is on Wave 105 they start playing it in September for a double glazing company to the tune of jingle bells.

To make it even worse, they play a message 'apple apologise for the following commercial' beforehand - I've got the channel swapping down to the end of the word 'apple' now, and I usually don't switch back.

I know quite a few people annoyed by this ad, to the point where one wrote into Steve Power, and he all but agreed, saying that its upto the 'people upstairs' They played it last year as well, they also have an annoying line right at the end of a small child say 'live happily ever after'. why?

You may say it heightened my awareness of the brand , but when I recently needed a new double glazed door, I did not call these idiots.

Listeners come second these days.
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everyone seemed to Hate Coldseal ads, i loved them

"Call Coldseal Windows on 0800221133"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, but I love them! I love them all... more sung ad jingles, I say!
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cresta Blinds!!!

It must be around 10-12 years ago. Used to hear it all the time on Midlands stations.
    It was a minute long ad, but was bland as hell! No music just a bloke talking about blinds. It even had the line "for any other form of window covering, I'm afraid it's curtains!"

Argh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really detest that advert about knife crime, where some chavvy kid say he had "that look" off some "rude boys". Possibly the most annoying voice I've ever heard. Makes me want to take a knife to my radio.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything with .gov.uk as it's web address. I heard countless of these on Talk Sport recently

Very patronising