Sad deaths of great musicians and singers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just thinking about Bernard Edwards.

"Just before the concert at the Budokan Arena in Tokyo, Edwards fell ill, but despite Rodgers' insistence, he refused to cancel the gig. He managed to perform but had to be helped at times. After the concert he retired to his hotel room where he was later found dead by Rodgers. The cause of death was ruled to be pneumonia."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1APFyc_QtQ

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy Winehouse first real musician of my life at least that i followed the rise then tragic demise of obviously troubled but equally brilliant thats the one for me that springs to mind.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Ian Curtis's suicide is part of a tragic set of events and happened just before Joy Division were to tour the US.
    You get a some sense of the bleakness from Anton Corbijn's film 'Control'. And, of course, the music remains immense.

'Avenues all lined with trees,
    Picture me and then you start watching,
    Watching forever, forever,
    Watching love grow, forever,
    Letting me know, forever.'

Ceremony, New Order
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Curtis was a big blow as I was just getting into Joy Division. Never saw him perform.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Curtis was a big blow as I was just getting into Joy Division. Never saw him perform.

'The last true story of pop' as Pete Saville put it...until Amy?
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    lana Del Rey better not die on us :( then..
  • TransponsterTransponster Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I was far too young to remember him when he was alive, Jeff Buckley's death is one that always gets me. It was such a tragic, and yet mysteriously intriguing one. It really is a huge loss for the music industry that we only got one completely finished album from him.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about Bernard Edwards.

"Just before the concert at the Budokan Arena in Tokyo, Edwards fell ill, but despite Rodgers' insistence, he refused to cancel the gig. He managed to perform but had to be helped at times. After the concert he retired to his hotel room where he was later found dead by Rodgers. The cause of death was ruled to be pneumonia."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1APFyc_QtQ

Yes, definitely Bernard Edwards.

Also Wardell Gray, Johnny Ace, Jackie Wilson, Ivie Anderson, Hasil Adkins, Doreen Waddell of Soul II Soul, too many to name.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe Strummer - the passing of my youth
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Kurt Cobain - the voice of a generation
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still feel very teary about my lovely Amy Winehouse. Her death really hit and still does now.

Also, Whitney. Lovely Whitney. Oh i listen to her music now and I don't feel sad. I feel happy she gave us so many decades of so many hits. Her death was a shock and it is a shame she never got a chance to have a huge comeback to remind us what a tour de force she was and still is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Michael Jackson
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Jeff Healy
    John Lennon
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sad when Aaliyah died in a plane crash - not only because I liked her music and I started to notice her, but because she was so young and had whole life ahead of her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Buddy Holly
    Very young but had time to create a vast body of work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janis Joplin
    Jim Morrison
    Jimi Hendrix
    Amy Winehouse
    Kurt Cobain
    John Lennon
    Michael Jackson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Sam Cooke
    One of the greatest soul voices - who knows what he may have achieved?
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lennons was the most shocking for me, because of who he was, and how he died.

Paul Kossoff was a drawn out tragic loss too. A fantastic guitarist who lost his way to drugs.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karen Carpenter & Lena Zavaroni after their battles with anorexia.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Keith Moon as he seemed indestructible but sadly wasn't.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freddie Mercury stills cuts deep with me.
    A massive loss.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Lisa left eye lopez is another one, cut down in her prime :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Margaret Thatcher :(
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Also, Whitney. Lovely Whitney. Oh i listen to her music now and I don't feel sad. I feel happy she gave us so many decades of so many hits. Her death was a shock and it is a shame she never got a chance to have a huge comeback to remind us what a tour de force she was and still is.

She did have a chance, and she blew it. Have you not seen the YouTube videos of her live shows in the years before her death. She lost it, and was never going to get it back.

The three that shocked me the most were Aaliyah, Lisa Left Eye (both far too young), and MJ.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I miss Aaliyah :( I sometimes wonder how successful she would have been and what kind of music she would have made if she had lived.