The Apprentice UK Series 5 - Episode 3 - BBC 1 (9-10pm)

1202122232426»

Comments

• cookie_365cookie_365 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeamMelli2 wrote: »
    What did everyone think about Yasmina and Debra holding hands during the winning teams treat.

Do you think it really was a 'Let bygones be bygones moment' or was it only a tv stunt for the cameras (i.e. fake)?
    Hmm, two nasty pieces of work who both despise everyone but themselves? A tracking shot taken from where Catherine Jenkins would have been standing when she was actually singing? Has to be genuine surely? ;)
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I suppose Maj was a reasonable decision to go, I don't recall him doing anything useful during the task or either of the previous tasks, but I personally would have fired James.

You have a short memory. Maj thought up the Olympic presentation in last week's task. He suggested making the function based on the London Olympics 2012 and the rest of the team went with his suggestion. Okay, it wasn't too great an idea or the execution of the idea wasn't good, but he did contribute as much as any other candidate. For people to say he stood in the background doing little is factually incorrect. He didn't even mention the fact he thought up the food task presentation in the boardroom. I guess deep down he didn't want the job. A bit too casual but he shouldn't have got the boot.

It would help if Sir Alan and Nick and Margaret actually remembered what happened in last week's task! They might have bothered to remember Maj thought up the food presentation idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This shows you deep down Alan, Nick and Margaret are pretty clueless or have a terrible or very selective memory. They actually reinvented Maj's conduct on the show - painting him as someone doing nothing - when he did contribute. The guy was shafted big time! Of course it does help if you speak out in the boardroom, defend yourself. Maj was pretty useless at that so he got shafted out of the show. One thing is certain - Sugar values candidates that fight their corner, never give in and Maj gave in too easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maj was systemic in Rocky loosing the last task, due to the 'tacky presentation' being his idea, that didn't sell!

Whilst the end credits to Episode 2 showed SAS 'feeling sorry' for Rocky (in boardroom-backward audio) amongst his advisors.

'Advisor Margaret' blew some smoke up SA(a)S's in the buying feature of holding the worst man for the job.. bloody Lawyers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    You have a short memory. Maj thought up the Olympic presentation in last week's task. He suggested making the function based on the London Olympics 2012 and the rest of the team went with his suggestion. Okay, it wasn't too great an idea or the execution of the idea wasn't good, but he did contribute as much as any other candidate. For people to say he stood in the background doing little is factually incorrect. He didn't even mention the fact he thought up the food task presentation in the boardroom. I guess deep down he didn't want the job. A bit too casual but he shouldn't have got the boot.

It would help if Sir Alan and Nick and Margaret actually remembered what happened in last week's task! They might have bothered to remember Maj thought up the food presentation idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This shows you deep down Alan, Nick and Margaret are pretty clueless or have a terrible or very selective memory. They actually reinvented Maj's conduct on the show - painting him as someone doing nothing - when he did contribute. The guy was shafted big time! Of course it does help if you speak out in the boardroom, defend yourself. Maj was pretty useless at that so he got shafted out of the show. One thing is certain - Sugar values candidates that fight their corner, never give in and Maj gave in too easily.

The simple reason coveyed is that this was a presentation task. That is why both devices were displayed!... whilst all cadidates entered the 'final task' room!

I believe that John Lewis bought 10,000 of those ball-based devices before they were even eased into Chinese production houses!!
  • calatheacalathea Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debra did show some very nice pins tonight, especially in the skirt on day one ;)

Hey its shallow but...
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »
    What a lovely guy. I was smiling the whole way through that episode of YF. :)

My thoughts too. I also think that one of the other two should have gone as they had more input into producing the item that lost this week. Maj should have been given a chance to prove himself by making him the team manager for the next task but like someone said above, he didn't really fight his corner in the boardroom.

I love how he and Phillip got on! It was quite sweet to see the look of hurt on his face when the other two appeared at the apartment at the end.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    It's interesting to note all the three fired candidates:

Anita

Rocky

Maj

- didn't put up much of a fight in the boardroom. Rocky and Anita gave in under the criticism, they were useless at being assertive, Maj put up a half-hearted defence then gave in, sighed a bit, looked down at the floor in resignation, and that was it.

It's imperative the potential "you're fired" candidates fight for their right to stay on the show and it still surprises me when someone is picked to return to the boardroom, gets criticized by Sugar and the other candidates and says very little! Sugar values candidates with some fighting spirit, some self-belief. The ability to fight your corner, explain why you should stay, is an essential part of surviving in The Apprentice and people still apply for the show and forget this. :rolleyes:

Maj could have survived had he spoken out more and said, "Sir Alan, I did contribute in the last task, the team went with my Olympic idea, so there's the proof I don't sit in the background doing nothing" but his survival techniques were woefully underdeveloped. He said Nick was wrong in what he said but he failed to carry on standing his ground. James fights like crazy to stay in and he's still there. Proof that it takes more than good business sense to survive! James won't win The Apprentice but his survival skills are fairly strong.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    "Their asses will be twitching like rabbit's noses" ??? :D

Cringeworthy quote of the series so far. Bet he carried that around in his head for ages waiting for an appropriate moment to spout it.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeamMelli2 wrote: »
    What did everyone think about Yasmina and Debra holding hands during the winning teams treat. Do you think it really was a 'Let bygones be bygones moment' or was it only a tv stunt for the cameras (i.e. fake)?
    'Keep your friends close but your enemies closer'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Kolakube wrote: »
    I get the impression that James is quite popular with the girls in the house - both weeks now they've run over to hug him when he's come back.

I know James personally. He is a really charming guy and I'm not surprised at the welcome he got when he went back to the house. He is not ruthless and bossy which is probably his downfall but he has done very well in his career by being charming and genuine.
    He was chosen for the last series of The Apprentice but couldn't be in it because of personal circumstances. He reapplied and was chosen again, so he obviously has something!
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grrr!! I am from Belfast - our genuine accent is nothing like that - Ben sounds like a confused pretentious wannabe.

I know loads of blokes who went to uni in England and they end up talking like that - horrible hybrids who don't know why they are talking the way they talk - except for a shame of their own roots and a desire to fit in anywhere.:mad:

*mimi hangs head in shame, because she sounds like Ben*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chiming in on Ben's accent. I'm from NI, not Belfast tho, and I spent a year in England when I was eighteen which has affected my accent permanently.

Not cos I'm ashamed of my roots, in fact I met some horrible racist f*ckers of the posh moron variety while I was over there who made me fiercely proud of my roots, because I'm stubborn and perverse that way. Just because when I didn't change up my accent, no one freaking understood me! So I adapted to the circumstances.

I loathe Ben but have to give him the benefit of the doubt here. His accent's probably not an affectation.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chiming in on Ben's accent. I'm from NI, not Belfast tho, and I spent a year in England when I was eighteen which has affected my accent permanently.

Not cos I'm ashamed of my roots, in fact I met some horrible racist f*ckers of the posh moron variety while I was over there who made me fiercely proud of my roots, because I'm stubborn and perverse that way. Just because when I didn't change up my accent, no one freaking understood me! So I adapted to the circumstances.

I loathe Ben but have to give him the benefit of the doubt here. His accent's probably not an affectation.

Thanks (whispered in my usual accent which makes me pretentious and fake...)

Not all Londoners sound the same either...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    :D I quite fancy Kate, despite the mouth thing and I think Yasmina has a great pair of legs - there that was liberating.

Good! :D

I like those two as well, Kate is very much the obvious choice and I find her accent endearing. Yasmina was also surpringly top-heavy as she walked into the board room on last night's episode.

Personality wise I like the American girl, she seems to have a good head on her.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Ati87 wrote: »
    Good! :D

I like those two as well, Kate is very much the obvious choice and I find her accent endearing. Yasmina was also surpringly top-heavy as she walked into the board room on last night's episode.

Personality wise I like the American girl, she seems to have a good head on her.

Yeah but I think she's a bit too nice for Sir Alan.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised Majid went. I would personally have fired Ben because his product was rubbish, but fair enough that no-one else even came up with a product, and Sir Alan obviously felt he didn't want to penalise Ben for sticking his neck out. On that basis, James should have gone. He was a woeful PM and failed to keep on top of the task.
  • rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote of the series so far...

Surallan: So who presented the product?
    Team: Wasserface did.
    Surallan: How did she do?
    Team: She did well, gave 110%
    Surallan: Well we only want 100% so to be frank you've done yourself out of 10%

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.....and because I'm a bit pissed and can't remember them! :D
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ati87 wrote: »
    Anyway, I think SAS based his choice tonight more on entertainment. Maj did nothing this week and was therefore not entertaining enough for audiences so I guess he had to go. Forget about who deserves to go.
    I'd Majid deserved to go precisely because he did so little. I'd also say he was quite entertaining; from what was said on You're Fired, he was one of the jokers. "I employ someone to clean: my wife" etc. If he seemed dull to us, it's because he was edited that way.

It was obviously pretty close between him and James, but according to Margaret James was a good leader and he was certainly popular with the other candidates. About the only positive contribution Majid made was thinking of the Olympic theme for the food. That's not much to show for 3 weeks and it wasn't a great theme anyway. The rest of the time he just seemed to be hanging around in the background, or harassing people with a load-hailer.
  • Mr BungleMr Bungle Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode.

I think Philip is Sir Alan's early favourite - and deserving so from the 1st 3 episodes. His defence of Lorraine (boobs!) was impressive and Sir Alan's singling out of him and Lorraine in the boardroom clearly pissed off the awful Debra.

I believe that Debra will last quite a long time, as she's obviously quite dynamic, but she'll also be fired eventually as she's not a team player and will do anything to show others in a bad light.

JAMES MUST STAY! There's no doubt that he's dreadful, but I want to see him in the boardroom every week to see if he has a complete breakdown! :D
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Bungle wrote: »
    Great episode.

I think Philip is Sir Alan's early favourite - and deserving so from the 1st 3 episodes. His defence of Lorraine (boobs!) was impressive and Sir Alan's singling out of him and Lorraine in the boardroom clearly pissed off the awful Debra.

Though Lorraine actually was rubbish on the task, so Sir Alan's praise for her did make him look a bit ridiculous.