Options

Eddie the Egale Edwards Movie

13»

Comments

• Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the film. When you think about the success of Cool Runnings, which is in essence a very similar story, I'm glad this eventually got made.

I thought Taron's performance of Eddie was wonderful. Whilst the film poked fun at Eddie, it didn't ridicule him and some of the sincere moments when it touched on the reasons for Eddie's devotion to pursuing his dream felt quite emotional.

I loved the 80's inspired soundtrack, as in the electronica inspired background music, as well as the actual 80's pop tunes. The film made me laugh and it brought a couple of noticeable lumps to my throat.

It made me feel proud to be British and like the film Paddington, perfectly encapsulated what I love about this country. I was thrilled and entertained and would heartily recommend it.

great I look forward to seeing it
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie has said apart from a few things, he had a number of coaches in real life and Hugh Jackman's character is an amalgamation of those coaches rolled in to one and a few other minor changes, everything else genuinely happened and it is truthful and as accurate as it could possibly be, which is what Eddie has said he always wanted if the film were ever made..

I don't think he got his wish, as he's quoted as saying "only about 5%" of Eddie the Eagle is a true story" BBC News

Here's a breakdown of what's true and what's not. It seems like more than 5% to me though.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/eddie-the-eagle/

Despite all that, whether it's all true or not, the movie is still a lovely, heartwarming, well told story that shows what an inspirational character Eddie was, even if he was a bit useless. :-)
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    I don't think he got his wish, as he's quoted as saying "only about 5%" of Eddie the Eagle is a true story" BBC News

Here's a breakdown of what's true and what's not. It seems like more than 5% to me though.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/eddie-the-eagle/

Despite all that, whether it's all true or not, the movie is still a lovely, heartwarming, well told story that shows what an inspirational character Eddie was, even if he was a bit useless. :-)

I was going to post the same. Apart from the fact that Michael Edwards was a real person who actually competed in the 1988 winter olympics at ski jumping the film is fictional. In reality Michael was a decent skier who moved to the US to be professionally trained as a jumper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was going to post the same. Apart from the fact that Michael Edwards was a real person who actually competed in the 1988 winter olympics at ski jumping the film is fictional. In reality Michael was a decent skier who moved to the US to be professionally trained as a jumper.

I'm not sure
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure

Not sure about what ? Try reading this for a background on "Eddie"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_%22The_Eagle%22_Edwards
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taron Egerton was so adorable in the film that you forgot or forgave how cheesy the film was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure

I mean I don't know if Michel Edwards is a skier ive never heard of him
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean I don't know if Michel Edwards is a skier ive never heard of him

Michael Edwards is the real name of Eddie The Eagle Edwards, and he was a downhill skier before switching to ski jumping.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I didn't expect much from this but was pleasantly surprised. The trailer didn't really grab me so if it wasn't for my wife and kids wanting to watch it (none of whom knew who Eddie the Eagle was) I probably wouldn't have bothered.

It's heartwarming, funny and inspiring. Ok, it's no Cool Runnings (which gets a nice little nod) but it's still good and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

It was also a nice trip down memory lane - I was 9 during the Calgary Olympics and remember the story of Eddie the Eagle fondly.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It's a good film, but how accurate it is, is very debatable. All lot of the film centres around Eddie and his relationship with the coach, much to the point the coaches story is as big a part of the film as Eddies. But it never happened, so really the only bit of the film we know is real was that Eddie competed in the Olympics and (sorry to say) was utterly useless.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the guy, he had guts and determination by the bucket full, but he was a complete failure at his sport.