What do YOU use as a bookmark?

Comments

• LibrarywitchLibrarywitch Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Bet you didn't mention the £50 note did you :p

Ha ha!!:D Wish I hadn't but we had to put it in lost property and someone came in to claim it. We were looking forward to spending it at the works christmas do that year as well!! Funny nobody claimed the bacon though!
  • freelance81freelance81 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the cutest wee post it it with an item I ordered from Seoul (ebay of course), it says 'hank you' and then says thank you in Korean!

My new bookmark. The 'Have a nice day!' is a nice touch too..aw.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ImaPlum wrote: »
    I used to use bus or train tickets or any small piece of paper/card that came to hand, but like CLL Dodge I now generally use bookmarks from the Book Depository as I have heaps of them. Sadly they haven't been sending them out recently so my pile is dwindling a bit!

I got a new one from them last week. No.14/14 from a new set of designs.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do a lot of paper crafts, so I always have lots of off-cuts of lovely patterned papers: an endless supply of pretty bookmarks.

I'm very fussy. The perfect bookmark has to be about 3.5cm longer than the book and about 3.5cm wide. That way it tucks neatly into the back pages and stays in place while I am reading, and doesn't fall out or get dislodged if the book is in my bag.

I absolutely love the £50/fried bacon/chips post, but am horrified at the same time! Fried foods are tasty of course, but they should not be in contact with books! It's all kinds of wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a Postcard with a very fit nude man on it showing off his cute ass :o:D:p
  • ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I got a new one from them last week. No.14/14 from a new set of designs.

Typical, they start doing them at a point where I have no money for new books! Fingers crossed that a job offer comes in soon and then let the good times roll! :D
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few leather ones I bought from museums / tourist attractions as a child. It was probably the only thing I could afford in the gift shops other than pencils and rubbers. They smelt great when first bought.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was much younger I used to use bus saver strips as bookmarks.

Then every so often I would look through all my books and find a bunch of strips that hadn't been completely used up.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosepickings (let them dry out 1st, otherwise the pages just stick together) ...........
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I've got a nice little brass bookmark that you hook over a couple of page, bit like a paper clip only prettier.
  • PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a book mark that I made at primary school. It's still in pretty good nick, considering it's now over 40 years old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    akumaali wrote: »
    I use perfume tester cards and as a side effect it makes the book smell nicer.

I hope you don't do this with library books. Lots of asthmatics react to perfume. I personally have an allergy to perfumes and couldn't read a book that had been contaminated with any kind of fragrance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one of those furry dog bookmarks - so the dogs head and paws appear to be hanging over the top of the book. Silly but I like it! :D
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    35mm film negatives
    I used to do B/W landscape photography inc. all my own developing and printing - When you develop a roll of 35mm film you get a lead-in strip of about 4" to 6" with no images on it that would usually just be cut off and binned - I used to round off one end with scissors and keep them for bookmarks.
    Still got maybe 40 of them left.
  • metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a bookmark my niece made me about 6 years ago. It's an extremly tatty bit of cardboard now but it's seen the insides of probably 200 odd books now and fallen in the bath a few times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    some hologram bookmarks bought in Gateshead Metro Centre (plug)
    plus
    receipts, business cards, photos, envelopes, dust-jackets
    plus
    OFTEN I FOLD THE CORNERS

I usually have about 6 books on the go, choice depending on mood - usually an autobiography, a short-story collection, something non-fiction etc
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use those card perfume hand outs or the ones in boots etc that you sample and spray yourself.
    my books smell lovely
    And a little Mum card that my boy bought me, but I keep that at home..

:D
  • bob fossilbob fossil Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a leather book mark that my son bought me from Hever Castle when he went on a school trip about 15 years ago. It's got Henry VIII and his wives on it but they aren't readable anymore. The bottom of it got a bit chewed as well by my siberian husky when he was a puppy.
    I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to it :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suzzle wrote: »
    I have one of those furry dog bookmarks - so the dogs head and paws appear to be hanging over the top of the book. Silly but I like it! :D

Me too! I have two; a lion and an elephant :p I don't have anywhere near enough bookmarks though; I've been using Post-it notes with the sticky bit folded over for ages :o
  • BcUhTrTyEeRdCUPBcUhTrTyEeRdCUP Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for some odd reason i haet using propper bookmarks so i instead i just fold the corner of the page down and leave it at that but mostly i use just a small scrap of papper easier for me ;):=D
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I don't use anything. I just always try to remember what page i'm on or preferably read to the end of the chapter and remember what chapter i'm on :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I don't use anything. I just always try to remember what page i'm on or preferably read to the end of the chapter and remember what chapter i'm on :)

I used to do this also, I would have a bookmark (piece of paper, or card, or something) sometimes. But I would always remember what chapter I was on, so if I didn't have anything handy I would remember where I was.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I am using a free bookmark I got from one of the best secondhand bookshops I have ever visited.

Barter Books in Alnwick is a booklovers paradise.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    I am using a free bookmark I got from one of the best secondhand bookshops I have ever visited.

Barter Books in Alnwick is a booklovers paradise.

Ooooha Think I will go there for my hols :D

Had a google looks wonderful .. I envy you button

http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/shop.php