Options

Janet Devlin - I want you back - REVIEW

Comments

• Options
    slowdownslowdown Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was fine last night. One small glitch, everyone makes... She can't be judged on that alone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the sound of Janet's voice. I don't know why I just do. However I know some people don't and that is okay. For that reason I am writing this in terms of the performance rather than the actual tone of her voice.

This review is based on the download from iTunes. I did this so as not to be distracted by the TV staging.

Janet Devlin - X-Factor 2011 - I want you back

Good solid intro from the band.
    Janet comes in. She sounds very young but that's okay.
    Punchy delivery through the first verse.
    Does an amazing mouse squeak (I don't know what else to call it) on "it's much too late for me". I've never heard Janet or anyone else do it exactly like that before and I love it. This shows her originality.

Band steps it up a notch for the chorus and Janet goes with them. For once she is completely in control of her voice, she even manages to put vibrato into the middle of the word "heart" and take it off again. In previous live shows I have noticed that sometimes Janet has trouble with her voice (maybe because of nerves I don't know) but this time it seems to be doing everything she wants it to.

I'm really enjoying this.

Second verse: Uh-oh! missed words, what's going on? She soon comes back in but sounds uncertain. Seems to fluff some more words.
    From now on it's starting to sound a little flustered. Finally Janet gets back on track but this time her voice control is not so good. She cracks a couple of notes. Nevertheless she holds it together and finishes well.

So that's what I hear. It's subjective of course. 9/10 for the first half, 6/10 for the second half. I see Janet as having enormous potential as a recording artist and, as her voice matures and she gains more control of it, becoming a wonderful live performer.

Comments? :)

I admire you for being a fan - BUT, she was poor tonight. Looked out of her depth. Her performances are sliding from average to poor. 2 out of 10 for me - I think she will be in bottom 3 but saved by the judges obvious love for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally the "mouse squeak" that I like so much doesn't come across on my TV but it is very clear on the iTunes download.

Perhaps you have identified why some people believe that the X factor contestants can sing. The sound from their TVs is so poor that it's disguising all the problems with the singing. If the quality of audio from the poor speakers in a computer sounds better than that from the poor quality speakers in the TV then it suggests that they are still not hearing what is actually happening. Attach an average to good AV amp to the TV with some decent speakers and all will become clear!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she isn't good enough, forgetting the words of a very popular song is unforgivable- she's leaving tonight
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan_m wrote: »
    Perhaps you have identified why some people believe that the X factor contestants can sing. The sound from their TVs is so poor that it's disguising all the problems with the singing. If the quality of audio from the poor speakers in a computer sounds better than that from the poor quality speakers in the TV then it suggests that they are still not hearing what is actually happening. Attach an average to good AV amp to the TV with some decent speakers and all will become clear!

We have a very good amp and speaker system and often, all I can hear this series is overly loud backing vocals to attempt to disguise how poor some of this year's singers really are. It was blatantly obvious last night when The Risk, Little Mix and Frankie were singing.

At least Janet sings, even warts and all you can clearly hear her voice. I think people forget how young she is, and obviously nerves played a part last night which was a shame. I didn't like the song choice, either.

But even including the mistakes, she's a much better singer than Johnny, Frankie, most of Little Mix, and three quarters of The Risk. I much prefer her voice to that of Kitty, who is either shouty or horribly nasal. Not Janet's best performance at all, but she certainly doesn't deserve to leave the competition.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Janet but she was awful this week. The bottom 3 should be Frankie, Janet and Johnny IMO. She could be the shock exit based on that performance. Unforunately I think she is a one trick pony.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half way through the competition Janet should not be forgetting the words to her songs. I do think Janet thinks she is better than she is. :yawn:
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shes got a weak voice, cannot sing & dance at the same time, forgets her words in week 5 live shows, its not good, shes a one trick pony boring bland ballads is the most she can do and generally sounds better than it is becuase the rest of the pack are so crap. In previous years she would not have made bootcamp.

Shes a nice enough kid but thats all thats on offer.
  • Options
    _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was actually my favourite performance of hers, yes it wasn't perfect but it wasn't boring and predictable like she has been other weeks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the sound of Janet's voice. I don't know why I just do. However I know some people don't and that is okay. For that reason I am writing this in terms of the performance rather than the actual tone of her voice.

This review is based on the download from iTunes. I did this so as not to be distracted by the TV staging.

Does an amazing mouse squeak (I don't know what else to call it) on "it's much too late for me". I've never heard Janet or anyone else do it exactly like that before and I love it. This shows her originality.

Band steps it up a notch for the chorus and Janet goes with them. For once she is completely in control of her voice, she even manages to put vibrato into the middle of the word "heart" and take it off again. In previous live shows I have noticed that sometimes Janet has trouble with her voice (maybe because of nerves I don't know) but this time it seems to be doing everything she wants it to.

Second verse: Uh-oh! missed words, what's going on? She soon comes back in but sounds uncertain. Seems to fluff some more words.
    From now on it's starting to sound a little flustered. Finally Janet gets back on track but this time her voice control is not so good. She cracks a couple of notes. Nevertheless she holds it together and finishes well.

So that's what I hear. It's subjective of course. 9/10 for the first half, 6/10 for the second half. I see Janet as having enormous potential as a recording artist and, as her voice matures and she gains more control of it, becoming a wonderful live performer.

The first half wasnt a 9. The low notes in the first verse were never hit - shes always a "touch" sharp (something she has always been), the second lone of the first chorus - the "OH" was not good. it cracked a little and was sharp.

Personally I didnt like the "mouse yelp" at all. Nothing wrong with it technically but felt is was horribly immature way of singling.

Second half I agree - after the missed words she got all flustered and what little power she did seem to have left her.

So- 7.5 for the first half, and 5 for the second (for me).

That would give her an overall performance of 6.5 ish - BUT, and its a BIG but - you CANT forget your words. Nerves, age or not, thats not good for ANY singer, and in this competition and this stage is unforgivable. that takes 2 whole points off her score instantly (just as technical errors take points from ice skating or dancing regardless).

Overall, 4 to 5 for the overall.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow the OP really over-analysed Janet's performance. It was a piss poor performance. End of. Wrong song to begin with. Slip up or no slip up, she looked extremely awkward performing the song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    the thing about JANET tonight was, for me , after she messed the song up she really looked like she did not want to be there when the judges gave comments, I think she could have handled it better with a smile and shit happens but I hope the public will still vote for me attitide. Instead she looked like a girl all ready to get the next Ryan air back to Ireland, dejected, defeated and realising that the public will label her a one trick pony.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I thought Janet was all right, but I only saw the 2nd half and didnt realise she forgot her words :o
    You can't do that. Sometimes it happens to us all though, and can be annoying :( It happened to me once and it got to me for a bit :(
  • Options
    goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    Totally wrong song choice for her, and I STILL don't believe Janet herself chose to do it either.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasnt good , I dont think it was good before she forgot the words, and it was worse afterwards.

Having said that , in terms of being able to sing different styles. and maybe move about., Craig is worse, and although I think Johnny has been one of the better performers the first four weeks, he was very poor for half his performance last night.

So for me, I would guess that Frankie, Johnny and either Craig or Janet will be bottom three, I dont think Janet would go at that point anyway.

Kitty may replace Johnny due to the tabloid nonsense of course, but Janet would still be safe.

I still think Craig will be the shock eviction though.
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Janet but the song last night was a bad choice as she struggled to sing it. I feel too as though with the dying her hair red they are trying to make her look like Florence from Florence and the Machine.
    Janet has a quirky voice but giving her this pop song and then she forgot words I think this maybe will land her in the bottom two tonight?
    Also they changed Sophie's hair and her style and she looked better at the beginning and sang better. And look what happened to her. She went out of the competition last week and i blame the choice of songs for her leaving so Janet will need to watch it tonight or she is going to go out of the competition like Sophie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    she just can''t do uptempo stuff lol
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit baffled by it all. In the VT, she made it crystal clear that the whole performance was her idea. It was her song choice, she wouldn't have dancers around her, she wanted to be able to do her own thing on the stage. Yet she looked completely uncomfortable the whole performance, and she forgot the words to a song of her own choice? I'm not sure it was all her idea after all. I was glad she took a risk and well it didn't work but at least she tried it; she's got a large enough fanbase to be able to take risks and still survive whether she pulls them off or not so it was a good thing she did uptempo one week.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    I think Kelly is to blame. She has not been around to Mentor and only came back here a day or so before the performance. If Kelly choose the song and had any input, all I can think of is that she is favouring Misha and Janet is the scarifical lamb for the slaughter.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    I was a bit baffled by it all. In the VT, she made it crystal clear that the whole performance was her idea. It was her song choice, she wouldn't have dancers around her, she wanted to be able to do her own thing on the stage. Yet she looked completely uncomfortable the whole performance, and she forgot the words to a song of her own choice? I'm not sure it was all her idea after all. I was glad she took a risk and well it didn't work but at least she tried it; she's got a large enough fanbase to be able to take risks and still survive whether she pulls them off or not so it was a good thing she did uptempo one week.

Yes, I don't believe Janet had that much input here either. Kelly if she is any good as a Mentor should have stepped in, but of course the problem is she just does the photo / VT Calls only I suspect increasingly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but the last two weeks she's been getting worse, she isn't able to do different types of music and for a show like The X Factor, that isn't helpful to her at all. I would say she was the 3rd worst last night.
  • Options
    BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a pantomime... Not a talent contest... Figures set up for the easily manipulated public to either cheer or hiss at.

Janet was set up as a 'goody' from the start. Overpraised by the panel, (On who's intructions?) And now she's suffering for it.

So even if she's in the bottom three tonight, theres no chance of them being able to suddenly change and boot her out.

It all depends on her choice of material from here on, whether she survives to near the end. ... But I think she will have a career in music at some level.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kelly is to blame. She has not been around to Mentor and only came back here a day or so before the performance. If Kelly choose the song and had any input, all I can think of is that she is favouring Misha and Janet is the scarifical lamb for the slaughter.

Easy to blame Kelly. They are there to mentor - but, like a football team, it is down to what goes on on the pitch. Janet was poor with a song choice that appears to ber hers - she was poor vocally and looked anything but an 'X Factor'.
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so fed up of this type of fan review in the main forum. shouldn't it go in the appreciation thread?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member

Anyone who has been musically trained to sing will tell you Janet cannot sing. She is out of tune more than she is in tune. Every week she does a rubbish performance and this week was no exception. She is overrated and is a complete non entity who would never have had a look in before the singing industry went downhill and it all became about marketing rather than talent.