Options

Oh no the huge house spiders are starting to come out

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are very welcome in my house. I have zero fear of them. I would never harm them. I do put them outside but mostly leave them. We have a few whoppers in the shed and they are more than welcome to stay.

Saw one run across the rug the other night and had to stop the dog from getting it.

Personally never understood how or why anyone could fear them. Can't be doing with any screaming over a spider. Just calm down and remember they won't harm you.
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiders. Where do they get off coming in your house uninvited? Running about on your furniture or across the floor as if they own the place. Frightening the bejeesers out of innocent folk.
    They taking up good air space if you ask me, only good spider is a dead one.
    Rant over.
    Thank you for humouring me :D

:D oh blimey, this did make me larf.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think because the bath and sink are the only places they can't get out from. I leave a bathmat over the bath so they've got a ladder.

I have a towel hanging into the bath and over the side for the same reason.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I hate them. They've terrified me ever since I had a chance encounter with a funnelweb in Oz when I was four. Big, small, they all scare the bejeezus out of me.

We had a huge bugger running round here the other day. Horrible.

I have three cats. Sometimes they're brilliant and will kill spiders for me. Other times, they sit and stare at them nonchalantly as the damn things wander by, and then look nonplussed when I start screeching and jump on the couch. One brought me one as a present once after pulling off three of its legs, and proudly dropped the damn thing (still alive) right at my feet. I've never run that fast in my life.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    I hate them. They've terrified me ever since I had a chance encounter with a funnelweb in Oz when I was four. Big, small, they all scare the bejeezus out of me.

We had a huge bugger running round here the other day. Horrible.

I have three cats. Sometimes they're brilliant and will kill spiders for me. Other times, they sit and stare at them nonchalantly as the damn things wander by, and then look nonplussed when I start screeching and jump on the couch. One brought me one as a present once after pulling off three of its legs, and proudly dropped the damn thing (still alive) right at my feet. I've never run that fast in my life.

Faster than that poor 5-legged spider anyway :p
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is eerie

It's when you turn the lights off, just the light from the telly

Then out the corner of your eye, you see something moving on the nearby wall

"what is that, a dark shadow... oh crap it's moving... spider like"

Yeah, there will be gigantus spiders this year, i expect, after the summer we've had

Need the rains to set in, and the cooler air, will bring 'em indoors

They fit in such narrow cracks, they can fit through floorboards, and the gap between the carpet, and the skirting board.
    They can fit through gaps, door frames, with doors closed, or the gaps under doors. Vent holes
  • Options
    CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other night I went into the bathroom at 5am (hooray for screwed up sleeping patterns) and in the bath was the biggest spider I have EVER seen. Of course it being 5am no one else was awake to deal with it, so I snapped a quick pic of it, then sellotaped a note saying "HUGE spider in the bath!" to the bathroom door and went to bed. I had visions of the spider managing to launch itself out the bath and come upstairs into my room. :o My dad got rid of it in the morning, and said when he put it outside there was another one the same size in the garden. :(

Here's the pic: http://i.imgur.com/Uwr55CG.jpg The jacuzzi nozzle next to it is 2.5 inches long. Looking it up it appears to be a giant house spider which are apparently in your home all the time you just only really see them this time of year. So that's a lovely thought.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    The other night I went into the bathroom at 5am (hooray for screwed up sleeping patterns) and in the bath was the biggest spider I have EVER seen. Of course it being 5am no one else was awake to deal with it, so I snapped a quick pic of it, then sellotaped a note saying "HUGE spider in the bath!" to the bathroom door and went to bed. I had visions of the spider managing to launch itself out the bath and come upstairs into my room. :o My dad got rid of it in the morning, and said when he put it outside there was another one the same size in the garden. :(

Here's the pic: http://i.imgur.com/Uwr55CG.jpg The jacuzzi nozzle next to it is 2.5 inches long. Looking it up it appears to be a giant house spider which are apparently in your home all the time you just only really see them this time of year. So that's a lovely thought.

Wow! That is the size of a small dog!
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Just calm down and remember they won't harm you.

Thats not always true...see my earlier post:eek:
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Hate the things
    Better get some conkers in the house.
    May have to have some early nights cus as soon as I spot one I refuse to be in the same room as it.

Echoing what teachers-pet said, if they were humans you wouldn't be happy with them intruding into your house. They can stay outdoors I'm fine with that, cheeky things getting inside peoples houses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thebtman wrote: »
    Thats not always true...see my earlier post:eek:

Yes ok that was bad but it's very very rare. Most spiders are running away from us, not towards us. Still don't worry about them in my house. They are welcome.
  • Options
    BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    The only way that they'll climb in your mouth is if you sleep with your mouth open.

Why am I reading this thread whilst watching Ultimate Swarms? :eek:

I also have a fan going and it's making my hair move against my shoulders and neck.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight aren't I? :cry: