Options

Why are Vinyl/Records popular again?

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    If you can show that vinyl changes the sound, while CD doesn't, then to hear what the artist actually sounds like CD is proven to be better. You might prefer not to hear what the artist sounds like, which could make vinyl subjectively better for you.

If you read turntable reviews (or reviews of other components), the reviewers often talk about the performance in terms of things like soundstage, timing, transparency, engagement etc. These are things you can't exactly measure with an oscilloscope, but they are not exactly subjective either, because people tend to agree that one turntable sounds better than another. Maybe it's because a record is a very simple way of storing music, and a turntable is a very simple way of retrieving it, so if it's done well it can sound very good and if it's done badly it can sound quite bad.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    balthasar wrote: »
    True, it has a warmth and depth to the sound.
    I went to a record fair recently and spent most of the time going "I had that when I was 15" and "they want how much!".:D

Well, you surely did not have say Clear Audio Master Reference $19,000, or even Pro Ject Debut III when you were 15. Good turntables are pricey up to $300.000, but the sound quality is amazing. People usually listen to their old scratched vinyls on their 20+ old turntables that have rubbish needles and go: " Wow, it's rubbish, the sound is better on CD".
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    I would say it's the hoxton bearded hipster fashionistas that find it retro cool for record players right now. I wish they would go away.

Like this one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buying LP's for me is a challenge. The ones in HMV are to expensive. I know you can get them in proper record stores, but I'm usuallly trekking through charity shops for 50p ones.

Going through old ladies LP's. Good job I have broad tastes. Even though, sound of music, roger whittiker, and Jim reeves are not my cuppa tea.

All the good stuff has long since been snapped up. This is all that's left in charity shops now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see vinyl popular again I have about 4000 singles (ex mobile dj) and a few hundred 12inch records and a few hundred Lps , up in the attic , I transferred a lot of vinyl onto my computer then to my I-pod .

you can't beat the crackles and scratches LOL I noticed though that some artists I have on 7inch vinyl the same song on cd ( not a re-make) the ending of the song is shortened meaning the song fades out quicker
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the good stuff has long since been snapped up. This is all that's left in charity shops now.

There was a record shop last year that had closed down and been bought out. The new owners chucked all the old stock into a skip (and it was full to the brim as well) outside and anyone could come and take what they wanted. By the time I got to it, it was pissing it down so everything was all but ruined.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old records have been in storage since about 1992. Are they valuable now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    There was a record shop last year that had closed down and been bought out. The new owners chucked all the old stock into a skip (and it was full to the brim as well) outside and anyone could come and take what they wanted. By the time I got to it, it was pissing it down so everything was all but ruined.

Reminds me of a friend who grabbed a huge amount of Manchester Library's vinyl stock when they chucked it out. He's got some incredible stuff - plenty of very rare 60s and 70s experimental electronic music much of which may never see the light of day on CD re-release.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on what they are and the condition. Age alone isn't the defining factor.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

I very much doubt it, unless you have rare pressings.

You'd need to consult Record Collector magazine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Depends on what they are and the condition. Age alone isn't the defining factor.

As with anything else, supply and demand are the biggest forces determining price. I bid on a 1950s jazz album on eBay recently. I dropped out at about £30. It went for around £200.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a friend who grabbed a huge amount of Manchester Library's vinyl stock when they chucked it out. He's got some incredible stuff - plenty of very rare 60s and 70s experimental electronic music much of which may never see the light of day on CD re-release.

I`m salivating - When was that? Those library records can fetch a fortune these days. I`ve got a few but none of the really rare ones. Jonny Trunk is a big library music afficionado and has rescued some stuff from obscurity on his label.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    As with anything else, supply and demand are the biggest forces determining price. I bid on a 1950s jazz album on eBay recently. I dropped out at about £30. It went for around £200.

Friend of a friend gave me a box of unwanted vinyl over ten years back. Most of it was tat (old Queen albums and the like) but there was one weird looking LP I couldn`t find anything at all about. Put it on EBay (nearly slapped a £10 Buy It Now price on...) and 10 days later it went for over £200. Imagine how much the Hoxton hipsters would push the price up to now?!? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »

Absolutely, along with condition. An item can have a book-price of x, and if no-one wants it when it comes to selling, it's technically worthless. Or, if more than one wants it and it comes up for sale...well, anything can happen.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, mine are probably more like charity shop junk. I don't even know why I've hung onto them. I usually bin anything that I don't think is of any use to me any more (eg VHS tapes).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, mine are probably more like charity shop junk. I don't even know why I've hung onto them. I usually bin anything that I don't think is of any use to me any more (eg VHS tapes).

Be careful, you could be surprised. If you have a look at what you've got and list a few names of groups and artists, I could let you know if it were at least worth going to a second hand dealer/record shop rather than junk them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just search the completed auctions on EBay or check out the prices on Discogs before you dispose of them.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Well, you surely did not have say Clear Audio Master Reference $19,000, or even Pro Ject Debut III when you were 15. Good turntables are pricey up to $300.000, but the sound quality is amazing. People usually listen to their old scratched vinyls on their 20+ old turntables that have rubbish needles and go: " Wow, it's rubbish, the sound is better on CD".

Also the quality of the vinyl itself has improved drastically. Nearly all new releases and re-issues are on 180 gram heavy weight vinyl. With a decent set up it sounds amazing. Also the mastering is very different on some albums, take the White Stripes Icky Thump album for example and compare the cd version to the vinyl version. You can really tell the difference and vinyl version has been mastered far better.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone do Record store day this year?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957125
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

Now that did make me laugh....mind you he can't be that much of a dick to have pulled his companion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

Ditto.....other than a few school books and my vinyl collection I'v binned everything from my youth....After clearing out my parents house in 2002 .....with 40+ years of accumulated "stuff ".....I completely decluttered my own house
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    Also the quality of the vinyl itself has improved drastically. Nearly all new releases and re-issues are on 180 gram heavy weight vinyl. With a decent set up it sounds amazing. Also the mastering is very different on some albums, take the White Stripes Icky Thump album for example and compare the cd version to the vinyl version. You can really tell the difference and vinyl version has been mastered far better.

I've read that Icky Thump was badly botched on CD compared with the vinyl version.

However, 50s and 60s vinyl albums are usually very heavy compared with modern ones and often sound great, even if they've been played a lot. I bought a Ray Charles album recently and the vinyl is so thick it barely fits into the sleeve. It's mastered very loud, too, and really roars out of the speakers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I`m salivating - When was that?

The late 80s IIRC.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Now that did make me laugh....mind you he can't be that much of a dick to have pulled his companion

She hardly looks impressed.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think people plump for digital formats because they prefer lower quality. They just prefer higher convenience, like with microwaved food. They just want to shove the thing into a machine, close the door and push a button. The fact that the results are worse is secondary.