Ireland the best country in the world - it's official

Comments

• irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Thank god the UK stood up against Hitler or Ireland would be a vastly different place today.
    I think you forgot to add "...and especially the USA for entering and basically winning the thing"
  • Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    I think you forgot to add "...and especially the USA for entering and basically winning the thing"

At least they turned up. :p:D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is hilarious at the attempts to criticize Ireland, bringing up the past from 7 decades ago and trying to prove that the UK is better....all I can say is well done Ireland!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    At least they turned up. :p:D
    Ha as explained though Britain was basically seen in the same light as Germany at the time - and you couldn't blame Dublin for staying out.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You need to study the war more.

There were many countries involved in the allied victory.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Britain (and empire countries) stood alone against Nazism until Hitler gave up trying to beat Britain and attacked Russia instead. Many Irish-men did personally fight against the Nazis. But Ireland and the Pope did b-all to stop the concentration camps.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's open to debate really - at the time Britain was as evil in the minds of Irish people as Germany was... Subsequent revelations of course brought the horror of WW2 to light, to attack Ireland bring neutral is unfair.

It's not unfair, though, to be horrified at Éamon de Valera formally offering his condolences to the German Minister in Dublin on the death of Adolf Hitler in 1945. Condolences on the death of a monster, really?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    You need to study the war more.

There were many countries involved in the allied victory.
    Of course but the US entering swung the momentum to them - the war would not have been won without them... But anyway we are talking about Ireland 2014 as others have said - I don't know why people are trying to bring Ireland down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again can we stop the WW2 talk - it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread and Ireland in the 21st century.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    why not? We don't start wars or kill people , we enjoy a few pints and possibly have the most beautiful country in the world - in all fairness it ain't so bad.

You don't any more. Well not much, these days.

I'd say the families of innocent people that have died in the UK because of past IRA activities, might have something to say about that.

As for being possibly the most beautiful country in the world. Highly unlikely.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course but the US entering swung the momentum to them - the war would not have been won without them... But anyway we are talking about Ireland 2014 as others have said - I don't know why people are trying to bring Ireland down.

Actually a lot of the war was lost as Germany tried to invade Russia as it was fighting on too many fronts.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    It's not unfair, though, to be horrified at Éamon de Valera formally offering his condolences to the German Minister in Dublin on the death of Adolf Hitler in 1945. Condolences on the death of a monster, really?

Its not news to the Irish that DeValera could be an unpleasant twit at times, we're quite honest about the faults in our past. The British, on the other hand, never seem to have noticed that Winston Churchill could also be an unpleasant twit at times - you seem to have sanitised your past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha as explained though Britain was basically seen in the same light as Germany at the time - and you couldn't blame Dublin for staying out.

Definitely the Irish Free State/Republic of Ireland had every right to stay out of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Its not news to the Irish that DeValera could be an unpleasant twit at times, we're quite honest about the faults in our past. The British, on the other hand, never seem to have noticed that Winston Churchill could also be an unpleasant twit at times - you seem to have sanitised your past.

Winston Churchill was an anti working class arsehole of a man. Magnificent war leader, though. Winston Churchill was voted out of office the very same year he led the nation to victory in WW2, so you're quite wrong to say British folk couldn't see Churchill for what he was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston Churchill was an anti working class arsehole of a man. Magnificent war leader, though. Winston Churchill was voted out of office the very same year he led the nation to victory in WW2, so you're quite wrong to say British folk couldn't see Churchill for what he was.

Oh, I didn't mean the British people of Churchill's own generation, they no doubt did see all his faults. I meant the way history has sanitised him. There was more to Churchill than inspiring speeches during WW2, and there's no doubt he had a dark side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I didn't mean the British people of Churchill's own generation, they no doubt did see all his faults. I meant the way history has sanitised him. There was more to Churchill than inspiring speeches during WW2, and there's no doubt he had a dark side.

Aye, fair comment.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't be silly. We were neutral, leaning towards the Allied side during ww2. And some in Britain haven't stopped wailing and weeping about it ever since. If you'd had a "neutral" country like Franco's Spain on your doorstep you'd really have something to cry about.

Ireland did nothing to assist in the battle of the Atlantic.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the US is 26th in contributing science and technology to the world, just below Lituania, Iceland, and Serbia. That's certainly not politically motivated at all. Also 41st in cultural exports, just barely beating out Trinidad and Tobago, but not up to the global cultural relevance of Maritius or Malaysia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Ireland did nothing to assist in the battle of the Atlantic.

Yes, we're so sorry that the massively rich, well armed Irish Free State refused to allow our state of the art air force and peerlessly well armed navy to assist you during the Battle of the Atlantic. Obviously the Third Reich was shaking in its shoes at the thoughts that the mighty Irish Free State might declare war on them.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    This thread is hilarious at the attempts to criticize Ireland, bringing up the past from 7 decades ago and trying to prove that the UK is better....all I can say is well done Ireland!

It's a bullshit list anyway, like most of these so called lists of this, that and the other.

If you want a different ranking, just look at another list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we're so sorry that the massively rich, well armed Irish Free State refused to allow our state of the art air force and peerlessly well armed navy to assist you during the Battle of the Atlantic. Obviously the Third Reich was shaking in its shoes at the thoughts that the mighty Irish Free State might declare war on them.

So you should be. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    It's a bullshit list anyway, like most of these so called lists of this, that and the other.

If you want a different ranking, just look at another list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
    Seems to be yet another thread to give a sly dig at Ireland if you ask me.. seems to be an issue on here from time to time.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Churchill was not voted out of office. The coalition came to an end and so did his role as PM. In the General election the people chose a Labour government.

We only wanted access to your Atlantic ports so we could better protect shipping containing food for the UK and Ireland.