Comments

• Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,893
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    So why has "Nobel Peace Prize Winner" Obama become so unpopular?

His party does not have the majority in the House Of Representatives, therefore cannot get much of their legislation passed. Its been like that since Jan 2011. There is a chance for them to regain control from next January though with the elections in November.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was inevitable that given so much hype, hope and promise that he would be a disappointment.

Obama's one single ability is to give a great speech but beyond that it is hard to see what he has achieved and what his talents are. Whenever you see him giving a press conference without a script he always comes across as hesitant and indecisive. He's certainly not the great communicators that Bill Clinton or Ronald Regan were.

Ok, I'll give him one thing - he has kept the Tea Party lunatics out of the White House but if the Republicans can find a moderate candidate then the next Presidential election could still be won by either side.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obama will go down as America's greatest president of all time in 10 years. You watch.

Thats not what I think, but how many historians and particularly people all over the world outside the US will. There has never been a more loved politician in human history than him.

Mount Rushmore beckons I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    I like him and theres no proof he is unpopular.......and if he is unpopular its only morons that find him so

He has an approval rating of 40% and a disapproval of 54%. Are most Americans morons?

http://www.gallup.com/home.aspx

His average across most polls right now is around 40-41%. He'll still historically go down as the greatest ever though, or one of them.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    His average across most polls right now is around 40-41%. He'll still historically go down as the greatest ever though, or one of them.

Really? Your devotion to Obama may be blinding you to his actual record. There's no doubt that he will go down as one of the most significant presidents in the history books because of his race but beyond that, his achievements are limited both on a domestic and international level. In recent history I'd put in behind both Clinton and Reagan, though ahead of both Bushes.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has never been a more loved politician in human history than him.

Mount Rushmore beckons I think.

very droll :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the Democrats regain control of the House of Reps, then it will be interesting to see what they do with that power. I think they will probably go for immigration reform and maybe have another go at getting an affordable government insurance plan on health too. What else might they do?

In any case, those who are not happy with Obama have the power to either vote his party into power at all levels so the can get things done or vote them out on a step by step basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Really? Your devotion to Obama may be blinding you to his actual record. There's no doubt that he will go down as one of the most significant presidents in the history books because of his race but beyond that, his achievements are limited both on a domestic and international level. In recent history I'd put in behind both Clinton and Reagan, though ahead of both Bushes.

I'm not sure he is anything like the best I'm only spouting off what journalists and most people probably are going to say about him in future years.

JFK was only in for just 2 years and 10 months and yet he's regarded as one of the greatest ever. Charisma can take you so far it seems, which Obama has an abundance of.

I'd argued recently if got a peace deal with Iran that may elevate him to possibly the top 5, he has 2.5 years left lets see what he can achieve.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although most of `George W` blunders are well known, he's somewhat reticent about his multiple episodes of alcohol abuse,particularly when he was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol & fined $150 & licence suspended.
    More than likely those who took part in the poll were not aware of Georges little demeanour
    :o
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Although most of `George W` blunders are well known, he's somewhat reticent about his multiple episodes of alcohol abuse,particularly when he was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol & fined $150 & licence suspended.
    More than likely those who took part in the poll were not aware of Georges little demeanour
    :o

Shrubs past history of being a drunk is very well known in the States, it was brought up time and again during both elections. The way that he turned away from drink and found God after getting married to Laura was spun as one of his positive character traits and did find widespread approval from the electorate.

In a similar way many are supporting Rob Ford in Toronto after his problems with substance abuse.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    So why has "Nobel Peace Prize Winner" Obama become so unpopular?

Became unpopular? It's a minority who strongly dislike him, and there's a word for them: Republicans. This isn't some new thing. They made their displeasure clear all along. But they lost two elections anyway. 45% doesn't win you an election.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    Became unpopular? It's a minority who strongly dislike him, and there's a word for them:

Like I posted earlier, most Americans currently disapprove of his job performance. Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan were around at 70% approval at this time in their presidencies, Obama is barely above 40%.

Given Obama is likely to remembered as one of the "greatest ever", those aren't great numbers.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apart from business as usual I dont see what obama has actually done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »

The unemployment rate has dropped to 6.1% today, if he gets that down below 5% he'll surpass FDR probably as their greatest president possibly.

But the real reason why the unemployment rate in the US is fallen so much is because the participation rate is at its lowest since the 1970s. Basically to be counted as unemployed you have to be looking for work, if you are jobless and are not looking for work, you're not counted as unemployed.

Many Americans have given up looking for work hence the unemployment rate has dropped, although there has been so some strong job growth recently.

The media are itching to call Obama the greatest ever, so if he gets the unemployment rate under 5% by 2016, the media will have their excuse to call him their greatest, or one of the greatest, even if the unemployment rate has fallen due to dubious reasons.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Obama will go down in history as the President who took out Osama.

I mean how many years did Bush try to get Bin Laden?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has an approval rating of 40% and a disapproval of 54%. Are most Americans morons?

http://www.gallup.com/home.aspx

"It's the people who are wrong."
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to see how he's worse than Bush.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »

He must be dropping points for not invading any countries and starting new wars.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obama is silent but steady, he avoids making large speech like statements unless he has to.

He rages like anyone else and his broods are probably darker them some.

He is a great President and IMO America at its time of most need of recent years needed/needs someone like him at the helm.

My only wish would be other world leaders would take a leaf from his book on dignity and maturity.

He is a good man, with a good woman behind him.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I like Obama too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Hard to see how he's worse than Bush.

Bush was lucky. For most of his first 6 years of power, his party had the majorities in both houses of congress so Bush got what he wanted most of the time, where Obama/The Democrats only had control of both houses of Congress for his first 2 years.

Its up to the people there, if they want more from the federal Government, they need to vote them in, otherwise the Republican's will block the Democrats and have been since 2011 if not around June 2010 when Ted kennedy died and The Republicans gained his seat and got a blocking minority in the Senate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    He must be dropping points for not invading any countries and starting new wars.

It is worth noting that he expanded the war in Afghanistan increasing the troop numbers from 33,000 a peak under Bush, to 90,000 in his first year in office. Nearly 2500 Americans have died since the invasion of Afghanistan and most those (almost 2000) have died under him.

He is also keeping at least 10,000 troops there till 2016 and beyond, prolonging the war needlessly IMO.

I'm definitely not a Bush supporter but things should be put into context here regarding some of wars the US has been in recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    He is a great President and IMO America at its time of most need of recent years needed/needs someone like him at the helm.

Do you think he'll go down inevitabley as their greatest?

I suspect there will be a lot of sadness when he leaves office on january 20th 2017.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    To be fair he has been a good supporter of LGBT rights in America and is even about to sign an executive order banning workplace discrimination. He supports same sex marriage and every time pride month comes around he acknowledges it which is more than nearly every president before him ever did. He has proven by being elected that most people don't care about skin colour in Ameria as well. Lastly Obama care may have it's problems but he is right to try and get healthcare to the more poorer people who are otherwise unable to get decent treatment.

All in all i think he will be remembered well once he has been out of office for a couple of years.