Options

Arsenal footballer Jack Wilshere in trouble for smoking in his own time!

2»

Comments

• Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Where's the story?
    Wenger wants to find out what exactly happened and plans to speak to Wilshere shortly.
    "I'm not deeply concerned by it. I just want to know what happened and before I know what happened, I don't want to talk too much about it."

I was surprised why it was an issue at all that was my point and why I thought a thread was an ok thing to do on an internet forum,stories or issues dont have to be super important to be made into a thread!As for why it was in a newspaper ...well thats a different question.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F***ing hell, this is news?
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Mail Manufactured Outrage of the Day. They'll be telling you he bought the cigs off a Muslim next.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I havent noticed any major drop in his sporting performance?I never knew a job could include a non smoking clause

I know in American sports they regularly include a number of clauses on what players can and cant do , even in their own time , things like riding a motorbike , skiing, even down to just playing other sports for fun

clubs pay these guys a huge amount of money and don't want them to increase the risk of injury or anything that may affect them being able to perform at the expected levels of fitness
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    An employment contract can include virtually any clause that doesn't breach the law, and both/all parties agree to it.
    The more you're getting paid and the more valuable you are to your employer the more likely there will be certain restrictive clauses.

IIRC for example you may love skiing on the hard slopes, but your contract might have a clause that limits you to not going above the easy/middling difficulty slopes because if you break your leg whilst skiing it could knock you out for a season/end your career.

Stefan Schwarz's contract with Sunderland banned him from space travel:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/410156.stm
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An employment contract can include virtually any clause that doesn't breach the law, and both/all parties agree to it.
    The more you're getting paid and the more valuable you are to your employer the more likely there will be certain restrictive clauses.

Mr Lakie maintains that the top MotoGP riders are contractually bound NOT to ride motorbikes on the road, because it's too dangerous and they don't want them getting hurt unless it happens when they're racing.

Bit weird, imo, given that they're paid for riding bikes practically horizontal at speeds approaching 200mph, but they can't pop down to the corner shop on a scooter.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the second time he's been caught so it makes you wonder how often he does it. If it's a regular thing then as an Arsenal fan and an anti smoker it's a bit annoying. There is no doubt that regular smoking would have an adverse effect on his performance. One on the very odd occasion should be fine though. However how many smokers can limit themselves that much. Surely you either smoke or you don't :confused:
  • Options
    TbellTbell Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I get the impression that it's not so much the smoking that's the issue, as the fact that young Jack needs a bit of an eye kept on him at times. Wenger will probably be keen to keep him on the straight and narrow.
    And of course, the DM love to stir up trouble from nothing.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And people wonder why the English football team is useless.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The downside of being paid by the wheelbarrow is accepting restricitons and limits on lifestyle choices that the rest of us don't have to. And one of thereasons Wenger has been so successful relative to most clubs is because he introduced a culture of lifetsyle and diet aimed at improving players' pefromances. Mars Bars & 10 pints of lager became a thing of the past. Jack Wheelchair (:)) appears to be ignoring that, which is why Wenger has said what he said.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,893
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Ooh a **** and a bit of drink on his time off at a wee party...

The outrage...!

Not feeling it myself on this one :D

Ciggs are addictive, if he gets addicted then how can it be good for him/Arsenal to have a smoker playing for them when he is supposed to be playing at PEAK fitness?!
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    I find it ridiculous. He's a 22 year old lad on holiday with mates in Vegas. He's not in a season and he was apparently back at training three days early.

If he wants to have a smoke and a drink on holiday, that's his business.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I find it ridiculous. He's a 22 year old lad on holiday with mates in Vegas. He's not in a season and he was apparently back at training three days early.

It's not though. As per prev posts, he's more than likely contractually obliged to look after himself. And the new season starts in a handful of weeks.
  • Options
    CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not if he's getting paid to be at a certain physical level.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I'm sure if he was an habitual smoker we would have seen him photographed more than twice in 2 seasons. I've seen numerous pictures of him on nights out with no cigarette in sight.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    It's not though. As per prev posts, he's more than likely contractually obliged to look after himself. And the new season starts in a handful of weeks.

And pictures of him taking a drag of a cigarette and drinking weeks before the season starts shows he's not looking after himself? It just shows me to he's a young man on holiday having a good time a week before he returns to work.

Do you think all footballers don't ever drink or smoke?
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

Common ones at retail/office might include not wearing your uniform outside of work, or specific types of clothing in work

For a sportsman who may be a very big investment for the club, and getting paid very well indeed it could include things like an agreement that they won't do certain things that are likely to damage their ability to do their job and are not risks associated with the job.
    IIRC for example you may love skiing on the hard slopes, but your contract might have a clause that limits you to not going above the easy/middling difficulty slopes because if you break your leg whilst skiing it could knock you out for a season/end your career.

If you are signed up for a major sponsorship deal there can be clauses that allow the sponsor to drop you like a hot potato if you do certain things that bring their brand into disrepute (so if you are getting paid a lot to promote a family brand and get caught in the toilets on Clapham common they can cancel the contract).

For a long time (not sure if it's still the case), the BBC apparently had a clause that people appearing on screen in certain roles were not allowed to do any advertising work (as say Pedigree Chum might love to get someone who did wildile/dog training in a BBC show to appear in their ads).

So I would not be surprised if sportsmen, especially in something like football might have a clause about smoking, or even just an agreement (but not on paper) to not smoke.

Thank you for the detailed reply and information.I understand the principle your outlining but isnt there a danger it could go too far and become intrusive?For instance prohibiting too much sex or forbidding dating someone who has too large a sexual appetite?