Options

"One Hit and OUT!" Campaign

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
It should be taught from an early age that if a partner or even a friend ever hits you, then that should be it and the relationship should be ended.

Of course no one should ever hit another person, but this is about making sure that any potential victims understand that they do not have to forgive or try to understand the other person, and that it really should be as simple as 'One hit and OUT!".

Comments

• Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a little too black and white.

Domestic violence is a pattern of behaviour where one abuses the other and it's entirely possible for a couple to, for example, get drunk and have a fight that they're both involved in. That's not domestic abuse, it's just a shitty relationship and it doen't make either of them an abusive partner.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I give my Mrs the odd dead leg.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about friends in there, either. Some of my best friends I've known since school. If I was to cut them out because one of us had hit the other, I wouldn't have any mates I'd met before I was an adult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would also mean Superman and Batman could never be friends again, which would pretty much kipper the Justice League.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the title I thought this was some sort of England cricket review thread.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far too draconian for me. My wife gives me a punch if I break wind too close to her. I'm prepared to put up with a modicum of domestic violence if it means I can let out a cheeky Tommy-squeaker in the comfort of my sofa as opposed to the hassle of getting up and making a mad dash to the bathroom which I'd have to do otherwise.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    A lot in my opinion. Treating serious, complex subjects in such a childish, simplistic fashion is never a good idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

Domestic violence is a pattern of behaviour where one abuses the other and it's entirely possible for a couple to, for example, get drunk and have a fight that they're both involved in. That's not domestic abuse, it's just a shitty relationship and it doen't make either of them an abusive partner.

Is the campaign to stop abuse of NHS staff, black and white?

Is the idea of zero tolerance wrong for someone you are supposed to love, but OK for someone who works with the public?

It really does need to be this black and white.

Also having a shitty relationship is not a good reason to allow someone to hit you just because they are drunk, if anything it is the reason for leaving someone.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about where one partner has a mental health problem which causes them to lash out, including (although its not a MH issue) alzheimers, or severe PMT?

Often where people have had accidents and suffered brain damage, they can become violent.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    relationships work on a different level, there`s too much emotion involved to make it that simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    A lot in my opinion. Treating serious, complex subjects in such a childish, simplistic fashion is never a good idea.

Agreed 100%. However, that's kind of what tends to happen here...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you could be married to someone for 20 years, no violence. One day you behave like a total idiot, push push push, your partner snaps and hits you. Never hit you before and only lashed out when provoked. Should the 20 year violence free marriage end over this one off occasion???
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be taught from an early age that if a partner or even a friend ever hits you, then that should be it and the relationship should be ended.

Of course no one should ever hit another person, but this is about making sure that any potential victims understand that they do not have to forgive or try to understand the other person, and that it really should be as simple as 'One hit and OUT!".

Sorry but that's too simplistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Sometimes you could be married to someone for 20 years, no violence. One day you behave like a total idiot, push push push, your partner snaps and hits you. Never hit you before and only lashed out when provoked. Should the 20 year violence free marriage end over this one off occasion???

No one should hit another person just because 'they are behaving like a total idiot'.

If you apply the 'One hit' rule then yes the marriage should end as the person has hit them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the campaign to stop abuse of NHS staff, black and white?

Is the idea of zero tolerance wrong for someone you are supposed to love, but OK for someone who works with the public?

It really does need to be this black and white.

Also having a shitty relationship is not a good reason to allow someone to hit you just because they are drunk, if anything it is the reason for leaving someone.

It requires proof - how easy would it be for a partner to get married - give themselves a black eye - get the other person put of the house and have a house easily and cheaply.

I know a man who has been on the receiving end - he left the house - and even after it was shown he had a) not hit her and b) she'd been abusing him he is still lodging with a friend...luckily, the marriage was so short there'll be no financial loss to him and he has come out of it with his head held high and her digging more holes for herself than a Council workman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Sorry but that's too simplistic.

Is zero tolerance against violence against NHS staff, simplistic?

Or would you argue against that idea as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one should hit another person just because 'they are behaving like a total idiot'.

If you apply the 'One hit' rule then yes the marriage should end as the person has hit them.

It must be a nice life in fairy land

la la la la....
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is zero tolerance against violence against NHS staff, simplistic?

Or would you argue against that idea as well?
    The comparison itself is bloody simplistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    It requires proof - how easy would it be for a partner to get married - give themselves a black eye - get the other person put of the house and have a house easily and cheaply.

The rule is for the person who has been hit, not for the law.

If everyone said to themselves, "The first time someone hits me, is the last time." then hopefully things would never get worse.

As people say, it is a pattern, and the best way to stop a pattern, is not to start one.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Ask any domestic violence worker if its as black and white as you see it. And because i know someone who works in this field i can tell you its not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Ask any domestic violence worker if its as black and white as you see it. And because i know someone who works in this field i can tell you its not.

So we don't do anything?

It is just a guideline to live by, not something people have to do.

Like most guidelines, it is about defining a border. Whether people cross that border is up to them but at least they know it is there.

Like the 'No means No' campaign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we don't do anything?

Like most guidelines, it is about defining a border. Whether people cross that border is up to them but at least they know it is there.

You said the first time someone hits you you should cut them out. The point is there is hitting someone every single day because you're abusive and then there's hitting someone once for any number of reasons. It's not right to hit someone but sometimes it happens, there are reasons it can happen. If we all lived by a 'one strike and you're out' rule the whole world would be cutting each other out
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    So we don't do anything?

And what do you do if the person being abused does not want to leave the abuser.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a safety campaign on the local news at the moment about stopping people from swimming in quarry ponds.

Their moto "Stay safe, stay OUT".

Are they being too black and white?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a safety campaign on the local news at the moment about stopping people from swimming in quarry ponds.

Their moto "Stay safe, stay OUT".

Are they being too black and white?

LOL what are you smoking? can i have some? :D