Options

Christmas Humbug - Bonuses

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hink you're missing the OP's point somewhat. The OP's bosses appear to be telling them that it's been a bad year therefore they can't get much of a bonus, but not applying the same rule to themselves.

They don't seem to be complaining about the amount per se, more the disparity and it seems to be different rules for the bosses and the employees.

There are plenty of companies that don't give any bonus and a £250 in a bad year. What a joke.
  • Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    I think its more the implication behind that decision that is the demotivating factor.

Basically - the bosses are saying that they have done their bit and therefore deserve the bonuses - so the poor performance must be down to the staff who are therefore require to take the hit in their bonus.
    It would appear that the bosses haven't actually said anything at all about their own bonus, nor are they obliged to, but now that the OP knows the situation it is understandable to feel demotivated. Asking discretely for a better understanding of the bosses reasoning could restore motivation.

Good to read some reasoned debate about it rather than just sniping but I have other things to do so, as the rich people say, I'm out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I don't see what the OP has to complain about to be honest. £250 worth of vouchers seem pretty darn generous to me.

I agree £250 worth of vouchers is a lovely gesture. But if a company can afford to pay out £25,000 bonuses maybe the OP might have been less indignant about a £1000 cash bonus. The vouchers as a stand alone gesture are brilliant, but compared to the £25,000 I must say it does seem a little meagre.

The company I work for doesn't pay well, but they make our HOD's bonuses public every year and it's only ever what the rest of us get tripled which I think makes for less bad blood within the company.
  • Options
    sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Does the OP know if the partners have had to pay any extra money into the business over the past couple of years to keep it afloat - that might explain why they are getting "extra" this year

That's a very good point.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for a small firm, there are 4 partners and 4 other members of staff.

Had a meeting yesterday where Christmas bonuses were decided - or lack of. This year staff are getting £ 250 vouchers because we have not had such a great year. I accept things are not great and anything is better than nothing.

Just now been handed details of the partners bonuses - I deal with the finances - £25,000 each and that is after tax! So they are getting more than normal and the staff much less!!

Wow so motivated!! I am grateful for my job and am not struggling. I accept the partners are the business owners and have taken all the risks but just think this disparity is unfair!!

You are right. Don't feel guilty for recognising that you are being exploited. Unfortunately with the recession as it is and no effective trades unions anymore, we can expect to to see bosses feathering their own nests at the expense of their employees for some time to come.
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree £250 worth of vouchers is a lovely gesture. But if a company can afford to pay out £25,000 bonuses maybe the OP might have been less indignant about a £1000 cash bonus. The vouchers as a stand alone gesture are brilliant, but compared to the £25,000 I must say it does seem a little meagre.

That's the rub for me though, a generous (by anybody's standards) £250 is suddenly no good when it is set alongside what somebody else gets. That's why many people are scoffing for the same reason, that their non-existent or packet of biscuits bonus seems rubbish when compared to £250 worth of vouchers. People need to start being either appreciative, or make their own efforts to get the bumper payouts themselves, instead of indignantly sulking about other people all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the rub for me though, a generous (by anybody's standards) £250 is suddenly no good when it is set alongside what somebody else gets. That's why many people are scoffing for the same reason, that their non-existent or packet of biscuits bonus seems rubbish when compared to £250 worth of vouchers. People need to start being either appreciative, or make their own efforts to get the bumper payouts themselves, instead of indignantly sulking about other people all the time.

Yes I agree completely. I suppose in one's own working environment it may be quite tricky not to compare what you have to what others do though. Personally I'd go and spend my vouchers with glee and definitely not let what others have earned pray on my mind.
  • Options
    GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they have had a bad year why have the partners paid themselves 25k? Won't that make things worse especially for a small company?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the rub for me though, a generous (by anybody's standards) £250 is suddenly no good when it is set alongside what somebody else gets.

And compared to previous years. If the OP is used to a £1000 bonus then the fact that she has had a £750 less this christmas is bound to hurt. If everyone gets less it is more understandable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And compared to previous years. If the OP is used to a £1000 bonus then the fact that she has had a £750 less this christmas is bound to hurt. If everyone gets less it is more understandable.

So the OP has gone from an exceptionally generous and probably unheard of Christmas bonus, to just very generous.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the OP has gone from an exceptionally generous and probably unheard of Christmas bonus, to just very generous.

And will really have something to moan about next year...if the bonus is a chocolate willy and a P45 :D
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP should be thankful he is getting a bonus. It is hard times. There isn't much in the way of giveaways in a recession.

If you don't like your bonus, complain to your bosses or accept it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the OP sure the partners are taking the £25k as an actual bonus and not as part of normal dividends?
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sbugg wrote: »
    That's a very good point.

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    I agree.

And I. In that case shouldn't it have been publicised as a 'return on investment' rather than a 'bonus'?
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Does the OP know if the partners have had to pay any extra money into the business over the past couple of years to keep it afloat - that might explain why they are getting "extra" this year

I am aware of all the financial comings and goings in the company. There has been no injection of capital within the last five years.

The trend has been that partners bonuses have been 20 to 50 times that of staff so this bonus round of 100 times just seem disproportional.

I guess its just a sign of the times, as I have said I am grateful for any bonus. Anyway that's my input, it is interesting to see every ones view point even if it doesn't mirror my own.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the OP sure the partners are taking the £25k as an actual bonus and not as part of normal dividends?

Not possible for partners to have dividends they can only go to shareholders and you don't have shareholders in a partnership. Similarly there is no such thing as a partners bonus. They may be calling it that but it is not in reality a bonus. Now if in fact they are directors in a company then it could all be the case. But then they wouldn't be partners. Possibly the OP doesn't actually mean partners but directors?

Partners only have drawings. May be called partnership salary, or interest on capital etc in the accounts and so on buts its all drawings in the end.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Not possible for partners to have dividends they can only go to shareholders and you don't have shareholders in a partnership. Similarly there is no such thing as a partners bonus. They may be calling it that but it is not in reality a bonus. Now if in fact they are directors in a company then it could all be the case. But then they wouldn't be partners. Possibly the OP doesn't actually mean partners but directors?

Partners only have drawings. May be called partnership salary, or interest on capital etc in the accounts and so on buts its all drawings in the end.

The entity is actually a LLP so in effect they are members rather than partners. The bonus I am referring to is effectively additional drawings from the partners (members) current account. I am sure that makes it a lot clearer for everyone!!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entity is actually a LLP so in effect they are members rather than partners. The bonus I am referring to is effectively additional drawings from the partners (members) current account. I am sure that makes it a lot clearer for everyone!!

Then that's not a bonus - it's a cash advance on anticipated profits
  • Options
    DodgyraiderDodgyraider Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    In many small businesses the partners / directors / owners - or whatever you want to call them, only pay themselves a very minimal salary in order to keep more money on the books and keep the business afloat.

Any monies leftover at year end is of course going to be recouped by the partners to bulk up the minimal salaries they may have been paid.
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Had a meeting yesterday where Christmas bonuses were decided - or lack of. This year staff are getting £ 250 vouchers because we have not had such a great year. I accept things are not great and anything is better than nothing.

Just now been handed details of the partners bonuses - I deal with the finances - £25,000 each and that is after tax! So they are getting more than normal and the staff much less!!

Wow so motivated!! I am grateful for my job and am not struggling. I accept the partners are the business owners and have taken all the risks but just think this disparity is unfair!!

Hoo to work in the private sector and get anything above your basic salary. Nice I would like £250 to spend.

Life's unfair. As you appear to be in a postion of trust with such sensetive information I would suggest in the comming 12 months ask to be treated next year different to those who don't have the position you have. Or are already paid more than the others if so keep schtum you're being paid for your silence.

Remeber just look after number one, it's what weve been taught by sucessive governments.

And enjoy the fact your not part of the millions unemployed and finding next even harder than last.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't get a Christmas bonus. We don't even get treated to a meal or a few drinks. Lucky you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Do most people really get a Christmas bonus?

I assumed they'd died out - but too many years in the public sector, where you even pay for coffee have maybe had me blind to the reality. Christmas has always meant having to spend money on Christmas parties - that you're expected to attend but have to pay for yourself - and on things like Secret Santa.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the owners might remember that they wouldn't have a business at all without the people who work for them?

No one gets rich on their own.

Absolultey! If it wasnt for the little people at the bottom of the pile doing the jobs no one else wanted to do, every business would collapse. I think £250 (in vouchers no less) is a slap in the face when the bosses are treating themselves to approximately double the annual salary of someone on minimum age as a nice little christmas treat.

A fairer way of doing things is to give bonuses as a %age of salary. Or not even bother if the partners begrudge that.

So the partners still will get more, but at least its proportional to whateverone else is recieving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I won't get a peanut. So shut up.