Andy Bush on Absolute

BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
Forum Member
The station's newest DJ is currently presenting this album countdown for the bank holiday weekend, before taking over the 1-5 weekday afternoon slot from next week.

Based on first impressions over the past few hours, he should turn out to be an excellent signing for Absolute Radio. Sounding very good, it's like he's been there for years! :cool:

Comments

• Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Andy's in for Russ tomorrow, then starts on afternoons from Tuesday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Heard a bit of Andy Bush this morning, liked what I heard, good to hear some personality coming through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I thought he was dreadful, he was stumbling over links, names and leaving dead air with an alarming regularity.

....and his "hilarious" tale about Chilli was so gut wrenchingly bad that he had to tell it twice 3 hours apart.

And he was shocked that The White Album was at 75, well I guess he'll be even more shocked when the top 10 is full of MOR 80s and 90s music.
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    I thought he was dreadful, he was stumbling over links, names and leaving dead air with an alarming regularity.

....and his "hilarious" tale about Chilli was so gut wrenchingly bad that he had to tell it twice 3 hours apart.

And he was shocked that The White Album was at 75, well I guess he'll be even more shocked when the top 10 is full of MOR 80s and 90s music.

A presenter doing the same 'gag' twice in one show is an ABSOLUTE insult to people who listen to an entire show, as presenters try to get us to do,
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard him saying something about sheep and didn't mean too offend.
  • THE HEADLESS DJTHE HEADLESS DJ Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I heard him saying something about sheep and didn't mean too offend.

I heard him on GWR then Heart a while back, only because my brother in law rated his shows with sidekick Troy-- I thought they were both witless, but I stumble across some youtube footage and that was equally just as crap too.

Didn't catch his opening effort on Good Friday, but caught an hour of his countdown and thought he was dull sad to say, not that funny and he said he played The Who after Macca's Jet he didn't -- epic failure

I would have thought they would have bedded him in the line up in low key slot somewhere and then work his way up-- unless he improves I see the partnership he had down in the west country coming back in to full play-- Kam Kelly, brings to mind here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Didn't catch his opening effort on Good Friday, but caught an hour of his countdown and thought he was dull sad to say, not that funny and he said he played The Who after Macca's Jet he didn't -- epic failure

I dont think he said that - it took me a while to realise that they werent actually playing songs from every album in the top 100.

Finally cottoned on when he waxed lyrical about Breaking Glass and then never actually played anything from it and jumped straight to the next album :rolleyes:
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the point of doing a Top 100 countdown and not playing something from every album?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought they would have bedded him in the line up in low key slot somewhere and then work his way up...

Conversely, a one-off show on a day when many people will be on holiday might be a good opportunity to let a new presenter flex his vocal cords. I thought he sounded less like a generic Absolute DJ so he could attract listeners who don't like that shlurry exsh-Virgin shtyle.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,315
    Forum Member
    Just heard him giving a big plug to Calpol, apparently you give this to kids for all ailements. If it was the BBC we'd of heard 'other brands' are available!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Conversely, a one-off show on a day when many people will be on holiday might be a good opportunity to let a new presenter flex his vocal cords. I thought he sounded less like a generic Absolute DJ so he could attract listeners who don't like that shlurry exsh-Virgin shtyle.

To be fair, they have other presenters who don't have the slurry delivery. Pete Donaldson, Vicki Blight and Polly James, the latter is as far away from Virgin as you can get with her 'cheery' delivery at 2am.
    Forum Member
    Been sounding good today, enjoying the album chart, Andy seems genuinely interested in the chart and music sounds like a good appointment to the station.

Can't believe how good his musical taste is considering he's from Heart! Seems to love Radiohead and the Stone Roses, bet he didn't play them at Heart.

Absolute maybe be the station for me after I give up on Radio 1, although prefer Moyles to O'Connell.
    Forum Member
    How on earth is Keane's album better than Radiohead, OK Computer? Maybe Absolute is appealing to blander listners than I was hoping. Went to a V festival in the past Radiohead headlined and Keane were about 3rd on the list.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, they have other presenters who don't have the slurry delivery. Pete Donaldson, Vicki Blight and Polly James, the latter is as far away from Virgin as you can get with her 'cheery' delivery at 2am.

Doing 'cheery delivery' at 2am can't be easy either :eek:, can't say I've been up that late to hear it one way or another though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Can't believe how good his musical taste is considering he's from Heart! Seems to love Radiohead and the Stone Roses, bet he didn't play them at Heart.

Most radio djs I know don't like the music they play at work much, they are just good salesmen, none of them go home and listen to James Blunt and Adele though.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most radio djs I know don't like the music they play at work much, they are just good salesmen, none of them go home and listen to James Blunt and Adele though.

You can like Blunt and Adele as well as Radiohead and the Stone Roses though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can like Blunt and Adele as well as Radiohead and the Stone Roses though.

Suppose, but it's like people who work at Pizza Hut probably don't go home an eat Pizza at the end of their shift. Playing stuff you play at work at home, will just make it feel like you're still at work.
  • chrisjames37chrisjames37 Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The station's newest DJ is currently presenting this album countdown for the bank holiday weekend, before taking over the 1-5 weekday afternoon slot from next week.

Based on first impressions over the past few hours, he should turn out to be an excellent signing for Absolute Radio. Sounding very good, it's like he's been there for years! :cool:

so who is the latest unfortunate who's been sacked with immediate effect from Absolute to make way for this Andy Bush?

The schedule on Absolute changes faster than Superman in a phone box! Hard to keep up with who's there at any one time!

With Johnny Vaughan joining in july I suppose it won't be long before another one gets their P45 ! It might even be Andy Bush if it doesnt work out!
  • radrad Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so who is the latest unfortunate who's been sacked with immediate effect from Absolute to make way for this Andy Bush?

Nobody was sacked, he is replacing Nick Jackson who left in December.
  • chrisjames37chrisjames37 Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rad wrote: »
    Nobody was sacked, he is replacing Nick Jackson who left in December.

It makes a change!
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Sounding good once again this afternoon. Made me laugh out loud a few times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing 'cheery delivery' at 2am can't be easy either :eek:, can't say I've been up that late to hear it one way or another though.

Carol Kirkwood pulls it off at 6am on BBC Breakfast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So do lots of DJs at 6am on the breakfast show, bit different to the graveyard shift though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Martin White has departed from The Dave Gorman Show.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You might want to re-phrase that Martin or the Daily Mail will get the wrong idea!