Options

Deal or No Deal Winner admits Benefit Fraud

TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
Forum Member
✭✭
In today's news:

I remember when this woman won £95,000 by doing a deal with the banker.

At least I think she has done the right thing today by admitting her guilt. I guess she will get a lenient sentence.

Comments

• Options
    YijanYijan Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Utterly digusting. She should be stripped of her winnings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Yijan wrote: »

No, she should be forced to repay the benefits she illegally claimed and face fines/community service and/or prison as appropriately decided by the judge.

Pretty stupid of her. Go on a TV show, win a decent amount of money and yet try and claim benefits hoping that no one would find out.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under which law?
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm outraged!! I mean people still watch Deal or No Deal??
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member

So strip her of the 95k so she then legitimately claims benefits. Good idea!
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    So strip her of the 95k so she then legitimately claims benefits. Good idea!

She also forgot to mention the fact that she was working, so not entitled to those benefits anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She might well be if it was found that she had failed to disclose previous convictions when she applied to go on the show.

I see in the Daily Mail article that she had been convicted of shop-lifting in 2002.
    Prosecutor Mr Vernon also revealed that Banana had a previous conviction for shoplifting in 2002.

I know on other gameshows several contestants have forfeited their winnings when criminal convictions have come to light.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    She might well be if it was found that she had failed to disclose previous convictions when she applied to go on the show.

I see in the Daily Mail article that she had been convicted of shop-lifting in 2002.

I know on other gameshows several contestants have forfeited their winnings when criminal convictions have come to light.

I would have thought the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act applies in these cases, it's not as if appearing on Deal or No Deal means she will be working with children after all. If her conviction is spent then why should she have to declare it?. Obviously a CRB check isn't required to appear on the show, otherwise they'd have found out about her previous conviction anyway.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

all the cash will be gone anyway..:eek:
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right because of this one isolated example lets now get rid of the welfare state completely then we can all sleep
    soundly at night knowing this disgracefull behavour will never be repeated :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    She's from Bentilee, I'd expect no less.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I'm outraged!! I mean people still watch Deal or No Deal??

I feel ashamed. :o
  • Options
    gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we blame this on Noel Edmonds at all? He just annoys me.:o
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Right because of this one isolated example lets now get rid of the welfare state completely then we can all sleep
    soundly at night knowing this disgracefull behavour will never be repeated :rolleyes:

Can you show us an example as to where anyone has said the welfare state should be abolished because of this individual? Or are you just trying to whip yourself into a frenzy?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Why would you want to do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Why would you want to do that?
    I was being sarcastic im sure certain gutter newspapers will use a story like this to justify the continuing
    Benefit crackdown
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bent as a Banana.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    are you just trying to whip yourself into a frenzy?
    Hmm that reminds me ive not had a walnut whip for ages will need to track one down :)
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I was being sarcastic im sure certain gutter newspapers will use a story like this to justify the continuing
    Benefit crackdown

Sarcastic. Oh. Fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little bit of googling shows Caroline Banana is the daughter-in-law of the first President of Zimbabwe, Canaan Banana.

This is her husband Michael Banana who was in the Deal or No Deal audience with her:

http://www.starnow.co.uk/michaelbanana

And this is Michael's father Canaan Banana

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/nov/11/zimbabwe.andrewmeldrum

It seems Michael came to the United Kingdom with his siblings and his mother as asylum seekers.

( Not that there is anything wrong with that - of course )
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    She's from Bentilee, I'd expect no less.

and you are from ... and the difference..??
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

throw away the key.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pure greed. She should be made to pay every single penny back and she should be deported.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's the trouble with winning a certain amount of money. You have to come off benefits if it is too much.

But if it is only enough to live on for a year or so, then you have to sign back on but at a reduced rate. So in the end you lose out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Caroline's husband really does have a pilot's licence:

....................................... http://www.starnow.co.uk/michaelbanana/photos/2589441

Hmmmmm....