Options

The only way to end homophobia

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
Is to tell your children about all forms of love from day 1 - primary schools need to teach them about all forms of relationships ....it's the only way.

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Can you do poverty next?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Is to tell your children about all forms of love from day 1 - primary schools need to teach them about all forms of relationships ....it's the only way.

It's not part of any schools remit to get involved but I take your point and this attitude should begin in the home.:)
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There would be some significant percentage of parents who would object to that. Note that I am not saying it is right or that they should, just that it is a stone cold fact that they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

I plan to heal the world
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It should be parents who teach children about morals, not schools.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    There would be some significant percentage of parents who would object to that. Note that I am not saying it is right or that they should, just that it is a stone cold fact that they will.

Then it will never end.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then it will never end.

It wont anyway, because the world is made up of people, and huge numbers of them are arseholes.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then it will never end.

Your plan to heal the world seems to fallen over a bit quick. :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way to end homophobia is to make everyone gay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daisiesfan wrote: »

Not teaching them per se - just to have stories where the main character is gay etc. Not making a big deal - just speaking openly and honest.
    It would also help the thousands of gay kids from years of self hatred - like I went through in the 80's thanks to section 28
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone's entitled to be a homophobic, Everyone's allowed a opinion.. it's just keeping it to yourself whats the problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everyone's entitled to be a homophobic, Everyone's allowed a opinion.. it's just keeping it to yourself whats the problem

Indeed - but it akin to pretending black people don't exist
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    It wont anyway, because the world is made up of people, and huge numbers of them are arseholes.

This.
    daisiesfan wrote: »

And this.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PMSL :D

As long as there's difference there will always be hatred and fear. These qualities are apart of the human race whether we like to admit it or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    This.

And this.

This

Not teaching them per se - just to have stories where the main character is gay etc. Not making a big deal - just speaking openly and honest.
    It would also help the thousands of gay kids from years of self hatred - like I went through in the 80's thanks to section 28
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member

Racism and sexism needs some attention too.

I'm busy tomorrow but I'll get on to it on Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    PMSL :D

As long as there's difference there will always be hatred and fear. These qualities are apart of the human race whether we like to admit it or not.

It seems to be acceptable and preferable to pretend gay people don't exist and a need to "protect the children"....these so called protected children grow up thinking it's wrong and abnormal...repeat until fade
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    Racism and sexism needs some attention too.

I'm busy tomorrow but I'll get on to it on Saturday.

That's cool. Let's keep it alphabetical. It may take us a while to get to xenophobia, though.
  • Options
    britney.jeanbritney.jean Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Well that wouldn't work as there are far too many homophobic adults with children.
    Though I have never really liked the word 'homophobic', why should stupid ignorant people be given there own 'phobia'.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    That's cool. Let's keep it alphabetical. It may take us a while to get to xenophobia, though.

Ah, Johnny foreigner can wait his turn.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if they did try to stamp out thought crimes in primary school I don't think it would make a difference as an individual person will change in attitude and opinion as they get older.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will never force people to `agree` with homosexual activity and the best thing is to just let people discover their sexuality themselves. I would never tell my children about it. Why should I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    You will never force people to `agree` with homosexual activity and the best thing is to just let people discover their sexuality themselves. I would never tell my children about it. Why should I?

Because it's a thing in the world that they will encounter at some point?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I think it would help if the media stopped flouting offensively gay people in public,gays need to be shown as real people,but they tend to be portrayed as over the top sexual perverts or annoying extremist rights activists.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What lesson shall we cancel to fit in this particular topic?

Gay Awareness, Racial Awareness, Disability awareness, Religious diversity awareness etc everyone wants their particular problem to be addressed by schools and half a day for each particular awareness topic a week seems fine...might get a couple of hours every month to teach them to read and write