Options

Apple refunds in app purchases to the tune of $32.5m

FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25748292

Well at least they're doing the right thing in the end.

Comments

• Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    $32.5m is just some loose change to Apple :D
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based on the company's financial figures for the year to October 2013, the company raked in sales of $170.9bn. So today's refund payout is worth about 6,000 seconds of Apple's time in terms of annual revenue, or about an hour and forty minutes. Or 7.6 hours of annual profit.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/15/ftc_apple_in_app_purchases_settlement/

Told you it was loose change to Apple :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25748292

Well at least they're doing the right thing in the end.

Yeah, it's always heartwarming to see stupid people being compensated.;-)
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just wasn't worth Apple fighting this. Far better for their image that they are seen to be on side of parents and children.

With the exception of some not very bright parents not wanting to take any responsibility for their own mistakes, there were some publicised cases of repeatable in-app purchases of £70.00 (straight after a smaller purchase of £0.69p) on games aimed at very young children. Many of those apps have since been encouraged to clean up their act. The parental controls/restrictions have improved too in recent months - but still require parents with half-a-brain.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »

Agreed, stupid people will always exist and they should share some of the resposibility, but the whole setup reeked of being designed to fleece those very same stupid people.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based on the company's financial figures for the year to October 2013, the company raked in sales of $170.9bn. So today's refund payout is worth about 6,000 seconds of Apple's time in terms of annual revenue, or about an hour and forty minutes. Or 7.6 hours of annual profit.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/15/ftc_apple_in_app_purchases_settlement/

Told you it was loose change to Apple :yawn:

They can pay for it out of the money that Samsung owe them. :D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25748292Well at least they're doing the right thing in the end.
    Have they really 'done the right thing'?
    :confused:

" Tim Cook told Apple employees that the FTC's proposals were in line with the company's own intentions."
    That intention apparently is to ignore everyone outside of the US. At the moment those intentions read good but in reality stay bad.
    A media campaign on behalf of UK customers would help.

If they ever get round to "Doing the right thing" it will apply to the UK and everyone outside of the US. They are simply following FTC orders/advice.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    My kids both have iPod Touches and we have never had an issue with them buying apps or in app purchases without permission.

Of course we make use of the restriction settings provided in iOS and completely lock down the App Store and in app purchases. If they want to buy something new, they have to go through us
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/18/eu_in_app_complaints_apple_google/

"Google has played ball...hese include not using the word 'free' at all when games contain in-app purchases, [and] developing targeted guidelines for its app developers to prevent direct exhortation to children," the EC stated.

But Apple has sat on its hands and decided not to act at all,"

Getting in first, quite obviously only Google has stupid users.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28363729

"In a statement, Apple said it was doing "more than others" to protect parents."

Whilst the word 'Free' now does not appear in the Play store, I'd also suggest allowing a permanent filter to remove in-app purchases from view. Though I'm quite sure Google has an extremely low percentage of credit card details compared to Apple.

I wonder if 'Free' liking Apple still uses that small trickery to get lots of credit card details.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The total cost of any game including all in app purchases should be stated up front. The whole system is doing no one any favours and is rank from top to bottom.

Remember reading this a while ago and it is a piss take.
    http://www.baekdal.com/opinion/how-inapp-purchases-has-destroyed-the-industry/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " We have a mobile scamming industry. This crap is featured as one of the five top picks on the front page of Apple's app store, as an Editors' choice."

Is this why EA gets onto editors picks?
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/25/both-apple-and-ea-deny-money-exchanged-to-keep-plants-vs-zombies-off-android/

Back when it happened I recall suggesting likely EA got well promoted by Apple, not actual cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The video is amazing on the actual scam.

If you were to play that game as an RTS as originally intended it would cost hundreds of pounds to complete, for a game costing a couple of quid to buy. Editors choice my arse, if that constitutes doing more than anyone else god help the industry.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    " We have a mobile scamming industry. This crap is featured as one of the five top picks on the front page of Apple's app store, as an Editors' choice."

Is this why EA gets onto editors picks?
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/25/both-apple-and-ea-deny-money-exchanged-to-keep-plants-vs-zombies-off-android/

Back when it happened I recall suggesting likely EA got well promoted by Apple, not actual cash.

Wow, a 1 year old story which was denied at the time and no further evidence provided in all that time. It must be true;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    The total cost of any game including all in app purchases should be stated up front. The whole system is doing no one any favours and is rank from top to bottom.

Remember reading this a while ago and it is a piss take.
    http://www.baekdal.com/opinion/how-inapp-purchases-has-destroyed-the-industry/

So let's try and have a sensible conversation about this and maybe you can suggest how they do it.

For example, one of my kids plays candy crush and has done for (what seems like) a year. In all that time the total cost of the app has been £0. Now if I go to the App Store and look up candy crush, not only does it tell me there are in app purchases, but it also gives you the prices.

You obviously don't think that is enough. Do you thank that an app you can download and play for free should have (for example) the total cost of if you bought all the in app stuff? If you do, I would suggest that would be totally misleading for the consumer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sensible, how is what I have posted not?

Anyway I would suggest it is not misleading.

Take the game I have referenced above (watch video), not playable as you would expect a RTS game to operate and as such to play and complete the game properly will cost many hundreds of pounds.

Now there are various games some more playable than others without purchases i concede. However free to play when clearly not as it becomes impractical or useless is not free to play.

Listing a game as free to play but somewhere under saying if all in app purchases for this game a bought the total cost would be £xx is not an issue and provides clarity up front.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listing a game as free to play but somewhere under saying if all in app purchases for this game a bought the total cost would be £xx is not an issue and provides clarity up front.

But if there are that many, who the hell buys every in app purchase available for a game?
    I just think this is yet another case of people not taking responsibility for what their kids do and not taking responsibility themselves to prevent situations arising (it is as easy as not having a credit/debit card linked to the google play / apple account being used by the kid, or making sure the account has in app purchases turned off, or set it so every purchase requires your password which you do not tell the child).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Take the game I have referenced above (watch video), not playable as you would expect a RTS game to operate and as such to play and complete the game properly will cost many hundreds of pounds.

Now there are various games some more playable than others without purchases i concede. However free to play when clearly not as it becomes impractical or useless is not free to play.

I think we are now talking about different things and we might even agree.

If a game cannot be completed without in app purchases then I think it should be made clear the purchases will be required and it should identify the minimum price it would take.

I think that is different to making purchases to speed up the game completion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But if there are that many, who the hell buys every in app purchase available for a game?
    I just think this is yet another case of people not taking responsibility for what their kids do and not taking responsibility themselves to prevent situations arising (it is as easy as not having a credit/debit card linked to the google play / apple account being used by the kid, or making sure the account has in app purchases turned off, or set it so every purchase requires your password which you do not tell the child).

I do think it is removing responsibility from the parent. My kids apple accounts have no payment options linked to them, and I just provide them with gift cards every now and then.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That simply is not a coherent argument.

if you take the personal responsibility argument you could apply that to anything. It is your responsibility to ensure that the credit card you use for xbox live subscription is not automatically used for in game purchases, even though you never intended or authorised it. It is an old person's responsibility to ask that pushy salesman to leave, if they don't and buy something their choice. It is your personal responsibility to know whether something is genuinely in a sale or just pretending to be, if you choose to buy it your problem.

Laws are their to protect us from scams and dodgy and unfair practices, you cannot simply say it is your responsibility so if your too stupid tough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I think we are now talking about different things and we might even agree.

If a game cannot be completed without in app purchases then I think it should be made clear the purchases will be required and it should identify the minimum price it would take.

I think that is different to making purchases to speed up the game completion.

I don't think it is, in that video £70 for a pack that allows you to complete something like 12 walls or whatever.

it is simply scandalous to charge that much for a pack that won't even be sufficient to complete the game. The consequence is waiting for 24 hours to complete one wall :o

it is so clearly aimed at ripping people off and is totally without justification, no one in their right mind would purchase that game at hundreds of pounds outright. That is the very reason it is structured in this way to catch the dimmer members of society and/or children. it is a scam and should be stopped.

of course the other way to avoid in app purchases in through social media postings or promotions (your candy crush) which Apple want to stop, so payment then becomes necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That simply is not a coherent argument.

if you take the personal responsibility argument you could apply that to anything. It is your responsibility to ensure that the credit card you use for xbox live subscription is not automatically used for in game purchases, even though you never intended or authorised it. It is an old person's responsibility to ask that pushy salesman to leave, if they don't and buy something their choice. It is your personal responsibility to know whether something is genuinely in a sale or just pretending to be, if you choose to buy it your problem.

Laws are their to protect us from scams and dodgy and unfair practices, you cannot simply say it is your responsibility so if your too stupid tough.

When do people take responsibility for their own actions or the actions of their children?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I said above about responsibility our society has laws so we don't have to think every day about how we could be ripped off.

It is not solely about children anyway it is also about those more vulnerable in society who are clearly being targeted. When something like this is so clearly designed to take more money that you would never agree to in a one off purchase it is wrong. Simply put I consider it to be sharp practice at best and more likely unfair trading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is, in that video £70 for a pack that allows you to complete something like 12 walls or whatever.

it is simply scandalous to charge that much for a pack that won't even be sufficient to complete the game. The consequence is waiting for 24 hours to complete one wall :o

it is so clearly aimed at ripping people off and is totally without justification, no one in their right mind would purchase that game at hundreds of pounds outright. That is the very reason it is structured in this way to catch the dimmer members of society and/or children. it is a scam and should be stopped.

of course the other way to avoid in app purchases in through social media postings or promotions (your candy crush) which Apple want to stop, so payment then becomes necessary.

In the example you have given, you don't have to pay the money, you can just wait. And there are numerous controls to stop money being spent accidentally.

Is it just a money issue then, and not a moral one? Why is it not ok to charge £1 for a feature, but it is ok to get someone to advertise your app for free.

If the store allows you to spend money without knowing, that should be sorted, and that is why apple made the payments (at some point I'm sure google will get round to doing the same), however, there are now numerous checks and I'm not sure apple should be deciding how much either an app provider should be charging, or how much someone should be paying.

Is choice not one of the buzz words we like in this forum?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can equate choice in this instance to something totally irrelevant it does little for you sensible debate request.

It is also not just about charging cards, if I was to say buy my kid a voucher for £40 for his birthday and it allowed him to build 10 walls in this game i would consider he has been ripped off.

laws prevent profiteering so charging hundreds of pounds for a game that can be purchased outright for say a fiver is simply not right. Especially as it is done in such an underhand way as this, go your only buying lovely 'gems' it will help you go faster.

The reason you have to wait 24 hours (which in itself is simply ludicrous) is simply a way to con kids into buying such gems. It is a targeted scam simple as that.