Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Only channel to show live uninterrupted
    Coverage of 70th anniversary d day celebrations
    Wwonder what BBC Haters, dacre/Murdoch will have to say about that

A friend was watching BBC World in Australia, they cut to adverts just as Prince Philip was being introduced to Australian veterans by Tony Abbott!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Me,the coverage on BBC1 was much better than the BBC news channel
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Me,the coverage on BBC1 was much better than the BBC news channel

Why the need to have the same thing on BBC1 AND BBC News though?
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see France 24, Euronews and CNN are covering it but not Fox News
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamby wrote: »

BBC News channel is actually showing different coverage at times. I'm just waiting for someone to tell us the Sky coverage is better despite the fact all the pictures coming out of Bayeux and Arromanches are from the BBC.
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC News has been showing other events (they were showing Hollande/Obama, while BBC One was having interviews) and other news stories from London. In the past hour it's returned more to a normal news channel rolling format than covering the events in full.
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the notable exception of the diamond jubilee river pagent the BBC have always been second to none when it comes to covering national events
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    When it comes to events like this, BBC put the rest to shade
    In other words
    Nobody does it better than BBC
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    A friend was watching BBC World in Australia, they cut to adverts just as Prince Philip was being introduced to Australian veterans by Tony Abbott!

Probably afraid that Abbott would say "s*** happens" again...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    When it comes to events like this, BBC put the rest to shade
    In other words
    Nobody does it better than BBC

The BBC, because of status as a public broadcaster, has a different mandate to that of Sky and ITV, hence why they covered this event in more detail.

I'm not sure why its puts those other broadcasters to shame though?
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    ITV would have to have adverts, Sky is Pay TV.

BBC is obviously going to win as the national broadcaster. Huw Edwards said at the start of this morning's coverage that was other coverage on the Red Button so I expect that's probably some of what BBC News is showing.

Not sure why they have it on both.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? it's what BBC does best, and tbh honest what they should be doing as a public broadcaster. And what is great is that those that don't want to watch have alternative channels to pick from.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    And, I suspect, that as the BBC has a vast historical archive to draw from to bring events "to life" they are onto a winner.

The old new report (some re-read) with the original, pencil edited changes on Radio $ are fascinating.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't compare the BBC with a commercial broadcaster when it comes to public service stuff.

Compare the World Cup coverage between BBC/ITV, that's valid.

Or compare the entertainment between BBC / commercial TV. Compare drama. etc etc.

I think the BBCs World Cup coverage is likely to be very much better than ITVs this time 'round.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

mostly It's not the same thing

Maybe its the way Huw Edwards is more at ease and handling interviews , he is much better than Simon McCoy
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC News channel is actually showing different coverage at times. I'm just waiting for someone to tell us the Sky coverage is better despite the fact all the pictures coming out of Bayeux and Arromanches are from the BBC.

Not saying Sky was better, infact I didn't like it and watched the BBC mostly. But there is more to coverage than the pictures, the commentary also helps, so Sky could have been better to some viewers.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    People will always go to the BBC more than ITV (mainly due to adverts) and Sky (mainly due to adverts and it being a pay TV service) for things like this, so for me it's pointless them really trying to properly compete as such. ITV would have their ass whooped in the ratings, and Sky the same obviously, the BBC is generally the national broadcaster, and is generally (not always) considered better than the rest at covering big events.
    Forum Member
    Difference between BBC &Sky is Sky audience is at best 2million and that's being kind tbh, and BBC is seen By triple that on daily basis, so you need the best presenters and top analysis, in this case top historians lime Dane snow, James Holland. Etc
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the BBC have had decades of experience in this type of broadcast , so based on that alone they should be miles ahead of Sky and ITV
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Saw some Sky News coverage and it was a little too ad break happy.
    BBC were belting as usual with this kind of event.

Shame that BBC Worldwide felt the need to stick ads in on BBC World. Very poor IMHO
    Forum Member
    Obama, arrives in his usual convoy, didn't look like he Got much to day to Putin:o
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    With events like this, I have to turn to the BBC. The main reason is Sky's banners which really spoil the enjoyment for me. Pictures at the service at the moment provided by France Deux, apparently.
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With events like this, I have to turn to the BBC. The main reason is Sky's banners which really spoil the enjoyment for me. Pictures at the service at the moment provided by France Deux, apparently.

France television providing the feed for both of Britain's main tv channels at the same time.

Must be a first of some kind....
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member

Agreed, but there's too much chat from the commentators, unfortunately. I wish in this digital age they'd let us turn it off, to hear uninterrupted the live sound of the event.

I can't stand channels that have scrolling banners either, for any live event. Even BBC News. BBC One for me.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1) It's a news event, so of course it should have News channel coverage

2) If another big story were to break, then the News channel would cut away in order to cover it

3) The News channel would broadcast the feed with added screen furniture (DoG, news ticker, clock). BBC one would be the pure feed plus captions

4) The News channel can and does cut to other news items and slots