85th Academy Awards Nominations in Full!

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As usual the same handful of films get nominated in multiple categories.

Academy voters don't seem to watch many movies.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I'd be more surprised that anybody thought he would have a chance at a nomination not because he made a superhero film and the genre is snubbed but more that if it weren't a Batman film it would barely have gone noticed amongst all the other action high level SFX films in the year.

The directors job is to oversee the film and regardless of genre TKDR was well directed film and probably just well directed as .

Like all Nolan movies they actually feature very SFX as he prefers practical effects of CGI and an example is the The Bat had a life size replica for the chase seen and wasn't computer generated.

Personally I don't agree with musical being filmed with motion cameras being the same category. It is for all intensive purposes just an adaption of the stage show where an original film isn't.

Maybe they should another category Best Adapted Musical to a Motion Picture as it seems more apt or Best Adapted Movie :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    The directors job is to oversee the film and regardless of genre TKDR was well directed film and probably just well directed as .

Like all Nolan movies they actually feature very SFX as he prefers practical effects of CGI and an example is the The Bat had a life size replica for the chase seen and wasn't computer generated.

Personally I don't agree with musical being filmed with motion cameras being the same category. It is for all intensive purposes just an adaption of the stage show where an original film isn't.

Maybe they should another category Best Adapted Musical to a Motion Picture as it seems more apt or Best Adapted Movie :)

I agree with you as to the role of the Director and the genre shouldn't be a factor, but it just is and that goes across the board for pretty much every category exclusing the technical awards.

In the last couple of years they have increased the number of films nominated for Best Picture so people won't keep saying why isn't that film in when it made so much money or is so popular. Despite that people in the industry as well as the critics know that they don't stand a hope in hell of winning the thing. This year "Silver Lining Playbook" is one such film. Up against the likes of Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln and Argo it doesn't have a prayer. Neither does Django Unchained which is also there to make up the numbers.

IMO if TDKR is that great a film regardless of if it were a Superhero film or even a Batman film, just an SFX heavy action film it may have got nominated. If it doesn't chances are is wasn't that outstanding in it's own right and may have been just another expensive SFX "blockbuster" film.

As far as Les Miserables just being an adaptation of a stage show and not original, the same could be said of any film made based on an previously existing work, even a book.

An argument could be made as to how original any of the Superhero films are. Yes they may be original stroies, but the characters aren't original at all. They are just taking something that exists and using them in their story. That has to be a negative for claiming "originality."
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Up until Wednesday, a lot of articles I read said that Bradley Cooper wouldn't get a nomination, but the newest predictons said he would....I wonder what changed?

After BAFTA nominations, he had BAFTA + BFCA/SAG/GG so he was close to locked. Few people miss with all 4.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    After BAFTA nominations, he had BAFTA + BFCA/SAG/GG so he was close to locked. Few people miss with all 4.

Ah I see :)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having now seen Les Mis, I think Anne Hathaway will be robbed if she doesn't win Best Supporting Actress. Jackman deserves his nomination too, though I doubt he'll win.

It's not, it's nothing like the stage show. A movie and a stage show are entirely different media, so much has to be changed for film. Never mind that the Les Mis movie is based on the book (and books are the source of so many movies) as much as it is the musical.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Amy Adams will eventually break the record for the number of actress nominations without winning.
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    I hope not she is too good an actress not to win .. but think she while be nominated a few more times before winning.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    I hope not she is too good an actress not to win .. but think she while be nominated a few more times before winning.

The great Cary Grant never won best actor, winning a lifetime achievement award only. Sometimes, unfortunately, being good isn't enough, it's about being in the right film at the right time. :(
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Amy Adams will eventually break the record for the number of actress nominations without winning.

I think she needs a few more to be tied with Glenn Close and a few others

Amy Adams chance to shine could easily be her role in a Janis Joplin biopic. She has been signed to it for years and apparently it is finally going ahead either this year or next year.
    Forum Member
    Yeah at present, Glenn Close, Deborah Kerr and Thelma Ritter are the most nominated film actresses without a win- 6 each. Geraldine Page accumulated the most before winning, winning on her 8th nomination in the 80's.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    Yeah at present, Glenn Close, Deborah Kerr and Thelma Ritter are the most nominated film actresses without a win- 6 each. Geraldine Page accumulated the most before winning, winning on her 8th nomination in the 80's.

was just reading that Peter O'Toole also had eight nominations without winning, blimey! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She'll win someday I'm sure, she just needs to stop being so good in years when other actresses are doing movies that the Academy can't help but recognise them for! ;) She may have had a chance this year if Anne Hathaway hadn't done Les Misérables!
    Forum Member
    She'll win someday I'm sure, she just needs to stop being so good in years when other actresses are doing movies that the Academy can't help but recognise them for! ;) She may have had a chance this year if Anne Hathaway hadn't done Les Misérables!

And if Joaquin harpooning himself hadn't harpooned the film as a whole, too.
    Forum Member
    Aye Muttley, and Al Pacino also won on his 8th nomination, and Paul Newman on his seventh...just goes to show even the finest of actors have to wait a while to win..if indeed they do..!
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    I'm gutted for Leo. He gave such a good performance in DU. When is it going to happen, when? I'm hoping next year...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    I'm gutted for Leo. He gave such a good performance in DU. When is it going to happen, when? I'm hoping next year...

Unless he really messes it up, I'd say he's fairly likely to get a nomination for The Great Gatsby next year.
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She should have got the supporting actress oscar in 2005 for her performance in Junebug
    Forum Member
    Rachel Weisz won in 2005 and was a worthy winner. Though I was rooting for Michelle
    Williams.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackassfan wrote: »
    She should have got the supporting actress oscar in 2005 for her performance in Junebug

Rachel Weisz was equally good though, either would have deserved it that year.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless he really messes it up, I'd say he's fairly likely to get a nomination for The Great Gatsby next year.

I actually think he might be nominated for The Wolf of Wall Street which is meant to be coming out this year, Gatsby depends on how good it is, the fact WB moved it from December to May doesn't fill me with hope.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing about the Skyfall snub? Was De Niro really worthy of that supporting actor over Javier Bardem? Was there no room for Skyfall as Best Picture? These awards are never perfect but 9 Best Picture nominations are ruining it IMO.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leo should of won for The Aviator, out of all the oscar nominated films he has done so far. I think he did win the Golden globe though and was a serious strong contender.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I actually think he might be nominated for The Wolf of Wall Street which is meant to be coming out this year, Gatsby depends on how good it is, the fact WB moved it from December to May doesn't fill me with hope.

Totally agree. I have a feeling that The Great Gatsby won't be very good (although I hope it will as I will go to see it). I think he has a much better chance getting a nomination for the Scorsese film.
    Forum Member
    If Gatsby is coming out in May then the studio probably don't think it's strong enough to be a contender for any major awards. If they did, it would have either been released last year or pushed waaaay back to the end of this year.