Should be able to appeal a yellow card

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Firstly, I should say I'm not in favour of the system of appealing red cards BUT, given that system is in place I don't understand why it's not extended to include yellow cards that result in a ban?
Joey Barton picked up a farcical yellow in Sunday's game and is now banned for a couple of games under totting up. It was a ridiculous decision, not even a foul but the ref was hopelessly behind play and was presumably influenced by yet another forward going over after realising they're not gonna win the ball/challenge.
Same game, saw Gorrks harshly sent off and he's rightly and successfully appealed the card. Why can't Barton do likewise? If the thrust of the appeal system is to prevent players receiving unjust bans it ought to extend to a player in Barton's situation too.
I know you could say maybe the yellow card Barton got 3 months ago was iffy too and equally contributed to his ban... however, I'm not advocating appealing every yellow card, just the one that tips the player into a ban.

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    A yellow is far too minor an offence to be appealed. If you are getting a ban its not for 1 card its for an accumulation of cards. Its unfortunate if the one you get that pushes over the edge is dodgy but a yellow is a yellow and it can't be more worthy of an appeal because you got 4 perfectly legitimate yellows previously.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    A yellow is far too minor an offence to be appealed. If you are getting a ban its not for 1 card its for an accumulation of cards. Its unfortunate if the one you get that pushes over the edge is dodgy but a yellow is a yellow and it can't be more worthy of an appeal because you got 4 perfectly legitimate yellows previously.

What if none of the 4 previous yellows were legitimate?
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    What if none of the 4 previous yellows were legitimate?

Then the issue is bigger than being able to appeal - thats a fundamental refereeing issue.

We can't be appealing every decision on a Monday morning.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we start allowing appeals of any yellow cards we will start a chain of events that will soon mean every single decison is looked at again.

Its just not worth it, From the sporting POV and also the costs involved