Solar Powered Coat

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Y'know that ridiculous coat they slapped together the other week? Look at this....

http://masetv.com/tommy-hilfiger-new-solar-powered-jacket-charges-most-cellphones-on-the-go/

Hilfiger do a man's one too; a fool and their money eh?!

Comments

• ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    $600 price tag too! Lord Sid missed a trick there, eh?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Someone did this back in 2009. Solar panels, heater and phone charger in a jacket.

http://www.treehugger.com/style/finally-attractive-solar-clothing-the-zegna-ecotech-solar-jacket.html

No flashing lapels though!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Jem71 wrote: »
    Someone did this back in 2009. Solar panels, heater and phone charger in a jacket.

There's probably a reason why we're not all wearing them, and a reason why the tech-guy on TA just looked kinda bemused and then told them they can't have a solar-powered heated jacket.

Given that an average solar panel about 1ft x 1ft gives about 5w power, you're not going to get an awful lot of heat out of a couple of panels the size of a **** packet.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    There's probably a reason why we're not all wearing them, and a reason why the tech-guy on TA just looked kinda bemused and then told them they can't have a solar-powered heated jacket.

Given that an average solar panel about 1ft x 1ft gives about 5w power, you're not going to get an awful lot of heat out of a couple of panels the size of a **** packet.

I think in theory it's actually a really good idea, but the big flaw in it is that solar power only really works when the sun is shining, and when that happens you don't really need a heated jacket anyway. Unless you could store the power and use it later.
    Forum Member
    I think in theory it's actually a really good idea, but the big flaw in it is that solar power only really works when the sun is shining, and when that happens you don't really need a heated jacket anyway. Unless you could store the power and use it later.

No, the big flaw is, as I said, that you'd need a f**king huge solar panel to generate enough electricity to usefully heat an item of clothing.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    No, the big flaw is, as I said, that you'd need a f**king huge solar panel to generate enough electricity to usefully heat an item of clothing.

But if you had one, why would you need it if the sun was shining anyway?
    Forum Member
    But if you had one, why would you need it if the sun was shining anyway?

Just 'cos it's sunny it doesn't mean it's hot.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have had the solar panels on the back of the coat so that when you hang it up, you can hang it in front of a window and get the sun that way.

It would be a lot better than trying to catch the sun while on the move and much better than on the shoulders where the coat's collar or the person's hair can cover the panels.