Options

How far do foreign players have to retreat?

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As a little Englander I assumed footballers all over the world retreat 10 yards for a free kick. However, given how we're reviled by FIFA/EUFA and their frenchy-infested "ExCos" I'm assuming they'd rather die than use imperial measurements in their rules. Does this mean they have to retreat 9.14 metres abroad?

Comments

• Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laws of the Game page 41 -
    "all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball"
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching some of the Brazilian club stuff which I think was on ESPN or something.

Anyway, whenever there was a free kick near the penalty box, the ref produced a spray can and drew a line on the pitch which he felt was 10 yards, and the players stayed behind it. I am guessing the spray must have been ice or something, because it disappeared after a minute or two. Seemed a good idea - none of this we get here with the ref having to manhandle a wall back a couple of yards.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How far if they are Italian or French?
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I was watching some of the Brazilian club stuff which I think was on ESPN or something.

Anyway, whenever there was a free kick near the penalty box, the ref produced a spray can and drew a line on the pitch which he felt was 10 yards, and the players stayed behind it. I am guessing the spray must have been ice or something, because it disappeared after a minute or two. Seemed a good idea - none of this we get here with the ref having to manhandle a wall back a couple of yards.

Wasn't it announced this was going to be used in the World Cup, I'll have no doubt it'll be in the Premier League in a year or two, it works well in the MLS and stops whole recounting the steps, players moving forward and so on.