Footballers are role models then?

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Says who? Who decrees that the poorly educated, English-mangling, loutish, spitting, snotting, expectorating, diving, cheating, mauling clogger who's stepping out on to a pitch in front of a few thousand fans tomorrow is a role model?
Heard somebody on Newsnight banging on about some poor innocent child might put a Ched Evans poster on their wall. What!!?? FFS I've never heard such shite.
I fervently follow a team and there are players on it that I despise and want to injure.... this ludicrous idea that EVERY footballer is some sort of idol up on a pedestal worshipped by all is cobblers.
I accept that at certain levels the top players have a platform and level of exposure that means they need to be generally mindful of their conduct but making a broad-brush and sweeping statement suggesting that all footballers are role models is utter nonsense.

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I hear people on telly say that footballers are role models it makes me laugh.
    Who thinks that a man who plays footy is a role model, not me and none of kids do either.
    My kids all went to school with a current premier league player and there is no way they look up to him.

I know three ex footballers, when we discuss stuff like this it is always amusing.
    None of them think they were or should ever of been classed as role models.
    They are ordinary men who made it top league football and that is it.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    The reason the media insist on labelling footballers as role models at every opportunity is so they can justify regularly invading their personal lives.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they are not.

They are normal members of the public doing a job they have worked hard to succeed in and those who are good at it are rewarded accordingly.

It's a get out clause for adults who are to lazy to educate the child they are responsible for as to who they should look up and why they should look up to certain people and not to others
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any parent that believes that a bloke who kicks a bag of air around a field is a role model for their children, indicates a lot more about their parenting skills than anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The interviewers and other panellists are as much to blame for never questioning this and counter arguing. Even assuming for the sake of argument that Ronaldo and Messi or Gerrard and Lampard are role models - and I don't believe that they are - nobody has ever clarified the lines at where being a role model starts and stops.

Is it just P.L? Obviously not, because Sheff Utd are considered to have role models and so were Hartlepool who are bottom of the entire league. So any old Legue 2 journeymen and cloggers are all now role models.

Ask any of these idiots who claim this to name one single League Two footballer, any one at all and I bet most of them cannot. Doesn't sound much like a role model if you don't know one out of over 500 of them.

I'm sure Wrexham, Bristol Rovers etc would be the same, so that's semi pro role models, where does it end? Conference North? Ryman League? Tier 9?

Does it stop at football? Rugby, Cricket? Hockey? Water Polo? Jenga?

I would have also thought any role models should have some sort of say in whether they wish to be one, but it never seems that they do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course some footballers can be. As can some cleaners,office workers road sweepers or any other profession or calling but to label all footballers a role model is very lazy and unfair to them and to society as a whole
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Any parent that believes that a bloke who kicks a bag of air around a field is a role model for their children, indicates a lot more about their parenting skills than anything else.

I agree with you but there are many that do so. Anyway children never listen to their parents, they look on Beiber, 1D, Cheryl Cole and Rihanna as role models so why not footballers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you but there are many that do so. Anyway children never listen to their parents, they look on Beiber, 1D, Cheryl Cole and Rihanna as role models so why not footballers.

I listened to my parents as a child so did many of my friends and so do my nieces and nephews
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl Cole a role model? For what? Rihanna again for what? Who is Beiber a role model for? Bratty kids who need a good spanking?
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Children cheer them on the terraces
    Children wear their names on the back of their shirt
    Children pretend to be them in the playground
    Children play as them on their play station
    Footballers go into their local communities and schools to give talks
    Footballers advertise products aimed at children
    Footballers transcend their sport and become celebrities in the media
    Footballers are seen to live aspirational lifestyles

How anyone can argue that they are not role models is beyond me.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

To what tune do we sing this rousing anthem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sure it is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A land of make believe?
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    A land of make believe?

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It will have to be something shallow and materialistic so it matches the people who think all footballers are role models
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was running around in the playground pretending to be Tony Woodcock and Charlie Nicholas and cheering them on. At no point were they ever people I was looking to emulate in life. I wouldn't have even put playing football top of what I was aspiring to do.

Being who kids pretend to be in playground or who teenagers are, when they are on the play station will give some role models a bit more unsavoury than footballers too.
  • daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Role models is an overused word. I loved Jimmy Greaves when was growing up. He scored sensational goals. He was a alci but never knew because of the lack of social media information. Social media is the scum of the earth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daicoll wrote: »
    Role models is an overused word. I loved Jimmy Greaves when was growing up. He scored sensational goals. He was a alci but never knew because of the lack of social media information. Social media is the scum of the earth.

The people and the way they use it is normally the issue with social media. Schools should be teaching how to use it and adults should be monitoring how it is being used by young people to avoid the sort of things we often see it being used for today

It can be a very useful tool but as has often been the way with many things humans misuse it
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    The reason the media insist on labelling footballers as role models at every opportunity is so they can justify regularly invading their personal lives.

It's also to justify the huge envy that a lot of people feel about the money that they earn.

It's nonsense.

You only have to look at the amount of 'They earn how much?!!! It's a disgrace!! What about the nurses?!' comments across all forms of media, to see why a lot of people (berks) don't get it.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think every boy should aspire to look like George Best. There can be no grander aspiration. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I think every boy should aspire to look like George Best. There can be no grander aspiration. :cool:

Internally?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internally?

Of course it's the internal beauty that counts... ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Of course it's the internal beauty that counts... ;-)

Pretty sure that 'beautiful' wouldn't have been the adjective that I've have used, for his liver.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    I liked Gary Linaker but I never curled one out on the rug as a kid!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure that 'beautiful' wouldn't have been the adjective that I've have used, for his liver.

When a man looks as spectacular as (young) George Best on the outside I'm afraid he could have Adolf Hitler inside of him and I wouldn't care. I'm quite shallow :blush:

It's a shame his son inherited very little of his looks, charm or talent.