RIP The Ultimate Warrior

Comments

• MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Wasn't Macho Man's death in a car crash?

He had a heart attack whilst driving I think?
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Yup that was him.

Spooky timing. He was entered into the WWE Hall Of Fame on Saturday and appeared in the ring to speak on Monday. First time in years as he'd always had a long running dispute with WWF/WWE. Then dead on Tuesday. Perhaps he knew he didn't have much time left. His final speech referenced death and legacy.

I thought that too
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...I've added the years they all died. Have to also say that not ONE of the above reached the age of 50:(

Kinda presumes they all had majorly wild lifestyles..........

Bulldog & Rude certainly. Bret Hart tells the story Bulldog was high as a kite on cocaine during the Summerslam 92 match.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Little sad but not entirely shocked at warrior dying..he obviously made bad decisions in life and his body couldn't keep up..that's just how it goes unfortunately
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Kinda presumes they all had majorly wild lifestyles..........

Most did. Many lived a life on the road, were heavy drinkers, took copious amounts of painkillers and other medication, and of course lots of steroid and growth hormone abuse. No wonder their hearts just can't take it. There was that massive steroid scandal in the 90's that nearly took WWF down.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow, I remember him.

I grew up in Calgary and as a kid I used to go to Stampede Wresting which is where many wrestlers got their start, particularly the Hart family (Brett the Hitman Hart and Owen Hart). I was lucky enough to see André the Giant once during a special event, amazing. I continued to watch wrestling on tv during the late 80's and 90's and then sort of grew out of it.
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Bulldog & Rude certainly. Bret Hart tells the story Bulldog was high as a kite on cocaine during the Summerslam 92 match.

He was indeed. Whispering "You're gonna have to carry me mate, I'm fooked!" during the bout. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda funny no one mentioning how openly bigoted UW was to... he famously did a speech at a US university where he screamed at them-
    Queerin' don't make the world go round

I guess actually talking about Warrior spoils the illusion some what.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda funny no one mentioning how openly bigoted UW was to... he famously did a speech at a US university where he screamed at them-

Was he speaking as The Warrior or his real name? The Ultimate Warrior was a fictional character that was a big part of my childhood, couldn't care less about the guy who played him
    Forum Member
    Was he speaking as The Warrior or his real name? The Ultimate Warrior was a fictional character that was a big part of my childhood, couldn't care less about the guy who played him

He actually changed his name legally from Jim Hellwig to "Warrior" some time back IIRC :D

He was a bit of a loon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He legally changed his name to Warrior, so he could call himself that even if WWE put copyright claims in on the character.

It is a tragedy for his wife & kids that he died, I feel bad for them, but at the same time it doesn't really change the fact he was nuts.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    man i remember most of those who died and i hadnt watched wwf regularly since '93
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

James Hellwig was a massive dickbag, yes.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase, who once plucked a kid from the crowd, told him he'd pay him a thousand dollars if he could bounce a basketball five times, then kicked the ball away from him after the fourth bounce!!

(That was of course a set-up to boost his bad guy image, before anyone points it out!):D

I don't watch wrestling any more. Do they still do brilliant stuff like that?!

Didn't the kid in question grow up to be RVD?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP

He was a motivational speaker in later years and excelled in this area in the USA

I remember his epic Champion vs Champion match against Hulk Hogan

Wrestlemania 6 :D
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Most did. Many lived a life on the road, were heavy drinkers, took copious amounts of painkillers and other medication, and of course lots of steroid and growth hormone abuse. No wonder their hearts just can't take it. There was that massive steroid scandal in the 90's that nearly took WWF down.

Yeah, loads of crazy and dysfunctional lives. Look even at someone like Ric Flair now. He wasn't really a steroid guy so he hasn't messed himself up in that way but he drinks copiously, is totally broke, has five ex-wives, his son died of a heroin overdose and he's an emotional wreck. It makes the movie The Wrestler seem like it rings true.

Happily, WWE seems to have cleaned up its act. The guys are muscley but look more natural than when steroids were the norm. They take care of their bodies a lot better and save their money so that they have a good quality life after wrestling. So many guys burnt the candles at both ends and paid for it down the line, but hopefully this generation will be different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad, Watched him on Wrestlemania on Sunday night then Raw on Monday night. You never know what's around the corner.
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a huge Warrior fan back when I used to watch WWF. I remember cheering him to beat Hulk Hogan in Wrestlemania 6 when I was young.

Watched Wrestmania 30 the other night because I heard he would make an appearance, now he's dead. Sad.

R.I.P Ultimate Warrior
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone own that SNES game Raw is War (1994)? Just playing that recently and I think at least 5 of the 12 characters are dead.

Bret Hart
    Undertaker
    Yokozuna
    Bam Bam Bigalow

1-2-3 Kid
    Shawn Michaels
    Razor Ramon
    Luna Vachon
    Doink the Clown

Lex Luger
    Owen Hart
    Diesel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legion of Doom
    Big Boss Man
    Texas Tornado
    Tugboat
    Sgt Slaughter....

Damn that was my era. R.I.P

My biggest regret in terms of getting of stuff I had as a kid was my wwf figure collection I had them all

Sgt Slaughter isn't dead
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sgt Slaughter isn't dead

Nor is Tugboat. I never said they were
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pro wrestling remains an intensely difficult career choice - you're on four hours sleep a night if you're lucky, two flights a day, having your spine slammed from upwards of six feet onto a wood flooring, working through injuries because you get paid per appearance! This is why so many wrestlers fall into chronic painkiller addictions (and that's what tends to kill them young, more so than the steroids although that of course doesn't help matters).

Wrestling has cleaned itself up considerably in recent years. After a horrible period in the early 2000's when another wrestler was dying almost weekly (of course at this point, the "golden generation" were in their late 40's), WWE introduced a Wellness Policy, and I think its effect is evident on the steroids front when you notice that their "monster" wrestlers are about the size of an average wrestler from the 1980's. The 1990's wrestlers also seem to be surviving a lot better than the 1980's guys did.

The problem with wrestling is it has two oppositional reputations. Firstly, that it's dangerous, killing people young and "should be banned", the other that it's fake rubbish for children and immature adults. The reality, as always, is somewhere in the middle. As a job it takes a toll on you physically and psychologically, and many of these guys have no prospects elsewhere (especially the older generations) and so are stuck in the lifestyle.

And to add, yes The Ultimate Warrior said some controversial things over the years, but last weekend he paraded his two young daughters on television and claimed that fatherhood was the thing he was most proud of. On Monday night they were beaming with pride as their dad returned to WWE TV to a standing ovation, barely a day later he was gone. How sad.
  • Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Gutted but not surprised
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Yeah, loads of crazy and dysfunctional lives. Look even at someone like Ric Flair now. He wasn't really a steroid guy so he hasn't messed himself up in that way but he drinks copiously, is totally broke, has five ex-wives, his son died of a heroin overdose and he's an emotional wreck. It makes the movie The Wrestler seem like it rings true.

Happily, WWE seems to have cleaned up its act. The guys are muscley but look more natural than when steroids were the norm. They take care of their bodies a lot better and save their money so that they have a good quality life after wrestling. So many guys burnt the candles at both ends and paid for it down the line, but hopefully this generation will be different.

The movie The Wrestler was based on Greg Valentine, if I'm recalling correctly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    The problem with wrestling is it has two oppositional reputations. Firstly, that it's dangerous, killing people young and "should be banned", the other that it's fake rubbish for children and immature adults. The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

It is funny that the only kayfabe left is none of it is real, reenforced by everyone having to read that title card on WWE Network saying it is all fictional a million times. Pro wrestling has gone from wanting everyone to believe it's all real to wanting everyone to believe it's all fake in 30 years.